STICKY: ATi 5xxx pre-release thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
If that was real, I would never buy another Sapphire card. If you're gonna 'chop a box, at least make it look somewhat plausible.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Tempered81
Yah me 2. I don't know why all these folks think it's fake.

I don't know if you're joking or you really believe it. I mean come on look at the edge of the bat mobile plus Batman AA is a PhysX game :D

BTW putting the card in the bat mobile is a tad funny though

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Im sorry but i hate the art work on video cards. Its shit.

I don't want pictures of some fucking robot. You know i will buy a video card not based on its warranty, but on how minimal the artwork is?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Originally posted by: Tempered81
Sapphire 5850 Box art: http://img182.imageshack.us/im...narkhamasylumboxar.jpg

You know this isn't real right?

Take your pick one of them is bound to be able to replace your dead ones.

:laugh: (batteries for your sarcasm meter, oldest joke on the net, I know, don't hate this old man too much :p)

It needs a pic of Mr.Freeze under that "Ice Cold"

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: MODEL3
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 and HD 5850 Smile for the Camera

http://www.techpowerup.com/104...le_for_the_Camera.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-09-18/10b.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-09-18/10a.jpg

While the Radeon HD 5870 maintains a long PCB, the HD 5850 is about as long as a Radeon HD 4870 (reference design)

they should redesign these ventilation system, the two slots don't work very good. i mean the temp is really high on this type of design. had something like this when I got my older 8800gt card. the hd4850 I got from MSI has a huge open hsf on top of the chip, I placed two 120mm around it one pull one push works out better. But a buddy had a accelerio v2 with 2x 120mm straped on, that worked magic for temperatures. I think they should redesign to something like accelerio type or the MSI HSF. but either way you need some added fans to vent the heat well those closed dual slot design in the reference cards don't vent out too much heat.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: nyker96
Originally posted by: MODEL3
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 and HD 5850 Smile for the Camera

http://www.techpowerup.com/104...le_for_the_Camera.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-09-18/10b.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-09-18/10a.jpg

While the Radeon HD 5870 maintains a long PCB, the HD 5850 is about as long as a Radeon HD 4870 (reference design)

they should redesign these ventilation system, the two slots don't work very good. i mean the temp is really high on this type of design. had something like this when I got my older 8800gt card. the hd4850 I got from MSI has a huge open hsf on top of the chip, I placed two 120mm around it one pull one push works out better. But a buddy had a accelerio v2 with 2x 120mm straped on, that worked magic for temperatures. I think they should redesign to something like accelerio type or the MSI HSF. but either way you need some added fans to vent the heat well those closed dual slot design in the reference cards don't vent out too much heat.

they have the closed slot design for a few reasons

1. inexperienced users / arm chair physicists believe the design to be superior because logic suggests that it would be better to dump the heat directly out of the case. (the problem here is that such people aren't accounting for proper ventilation - with it, the design isn't necessary as any heat given off by the card's cooler will be vented out anyways, and even if there is poor ventilation this means you're then cooling your video card with warm air...) Thus users want this design, even if it is inferior in the real world.

2. the design is easy for reference model purposes

3. it create a large, flat surface which is ideal for gaudy art / advertising

4. it creates a less intimidating "box" for inexperienced users to install

But you're right, it isn't a great design, and I'd much rather have Accelero type heatsinks to work with because my cases are always have adequate ventilation. The front 120mm intakes on my Lian Li K7 case are all that is needed to create proper airflow through the case to push hot air out - I can actually run my HD4850 'passive' this way with just an Accelero S1. When I strap a single quiet 120mm fan to it (so that it blows directly over the two central heat pipes) I idle in the low 30s and load in the low 50s.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

1. inexperienced users / arm chair physicists believe the design to be superior because logic suggests that it would be better to dump the heat directly out of the case. (the problem here is that such people aren't accounting for proper ventilation - with it, the design isn't necessary as any heat given off by the card's cooler will be vented out anyways, and even if there is poor ventilation this means you're then cooling your video card with warm air...) Thus users want this design, even if it is inferior in the real world.
I?ve tried many examples of both and I vastly prefer closed GPU cooling. GPUs produce a lot of heat; the next time you?re gaming put your finger next to the exhaust grill to see how hot it is. I don?t want any of that leaking into my case, especially not hours on end when I game.

With closed cooling GPU temperatures might be a bit higher, but overall system temperature is lower and the system is quieter overall. With a high-end GPU dumping heat into your case your CPU and PSU fans noticeably spin up. It doesn?t matter how good your case cooling is; it?ll still happen unless you leave the side door open to negate it, and that defeats the entire purpose of having a case.

As an example, a passively cooled 7800 GT made my system far noisier and hotter than a 7900 GTX because the 7900 GTX exhausted most of its hot air out of the case. The noise was coming entirely from the CPU and the PSU fans spinning up from the hot air being dumped into case.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I'll probably get a 5850 to replace my 8800GT. Depending on the bench marks of course, but all reports seem to be pointing the 5850 will be well ahead of the 8800. As in Usain Bolt versus my grandmother ahead.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K

I?ve tried many examples of both and I vastly prefer closed GPU cooling. GPUs produce a lot of heat; the next time you?re gaming put your finger next to the exhaust grill to see how hot it is. I don?t want any of that leaking into my case, especially not hours on end when I game.

With closed cooling GPU temperatures might be a bit higher, but overall system temperature is lower and the system is quieter overall. With a high-end GPU dumping heat into your case your CPU and PSU fans noticeably spin up. It doesn?t matter how good your case cooling is; it?ll still happen unless you leave the side door open to negate it, and that defeats the entire purpose of having a case.

As an example, a passively cooled 7800 GT made my system far noisier and hotter than a 7900 GTX because the 7900 GTX exhausted most of its hot air out of the case. The noise was coming entirely from the CPU and the PSU fans spinning up from the hot air being dumped into case.

QFT. :thumbsup:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Again, you're just doing the arm-chair-physicist thing, worry-warting too much about negligible system temps. Heck, you're even a proud non overclocker so this should affect you even less, unless you're in some sort of ultra bizarre situation where you can afford to have your GPU run at extremely high temps but not have you case temps rise a negligible amount such as some equatorial location with no air conditioning. Or perhaps you just have horrible case air flow due to poor design and/or sloppy cable management.

When I run my HD4850 passively, I have 5 total fans in such a setup, 2 x 120mm intakes, 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 120mm on the CPU, 1 x 140mm in the PSU (the 6th potential fan is another 120mm for the GPU) - all of which can push much more air and produce far less whine than a setup with a closed heatsink system. My system is a quadcore Q9450, overclocked to 3.2GHz. Heck, I can even have the HD4850 pegged to the max 700MHz that the CCC allows, again, passive, and still have lower temps than the reference cooler...

I can "touch" it all I want, your super scientific test doesn't fool me. Hot air expands, which is part of the reason your closed system GPU runs so much hotter and feels so much hotter at the point of exhaust; I'd rather disipate that heat over a larger area and then get it away from the GPU as fast and efficiently as I can. Once its into the case it can then be quickly carried away by the case's exhaust setup; and I can guarantee, even with dumping all that supposedly super bad heat right into the case, that my case temps are lower than the temps of the average retail PC (and considering cable management, I bet my case temps are better than the average AT member). And mine is overclocked with successfully stable stress tests under purposefully increased ambient temps, so I have zero concerns about killing my parts due to temps and certainly none for stability.

I might sing a different tune if we're considering 2, 3, or 4 GPUs, but if I was to ever invest in such a setup I'd probably go all out with water cooling anyways.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
So these coolers are the final retail version?

Might grab a HD5850, but Im curious to know why its shorter in PCB length compared to the HD5870.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
One seller in my country is pre-selling both the 5850 and 5870 saying that it will be released on Oct. 2. He was spot on on the 4770 launch date IIRC (or was it 4850/70). Guess time will tell

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Again, you're just doing the arm-chair-physicist thing, worry-warting too much about negligible system temps. Heck, you're even a proud non overclocker so this should affect you even less, unless you're in some sort of ultra bizarre situation where you can afford to have your GPU run at extremely high temps but not have you case temps rise a negligible amount such as some equatorial location with no air conditioning.
Eh? There?s nothing negligible about it. Anyway, I?m not worried about temps at all, I?m worried about noise. As long as the system is stable, temps don?t bother me. It?s the noise that?s audibly higher when a GPU dumps hot air into the case.

Again I?ll refer to the example of the passively cooled 7800 GT making my system far louder overall than a 7900 GTX, despite the 7900 GTX having higher thermals and power consumption.

Or perhaps you just have horrible case air flow due to poor design and/or sloppy cable management.

When I run my HD4850 passively, I have 5 total fans in such a setup, 2 x 120mm intakes, 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 120mm on the CPU, 1 x 140mm in the PSU (the 6th potential fan is another 120mm for the GPU) - all of which can push much more air and produce far less whine than a setup with a closed heatsink system.
Thermaltake Armor full tower: 120 mm front intake, 250 mm side intake, 120 mm exhaust, 90 mm exhaust, 90 mm exhaust (top), 140 mm exhaust (PSU), along with a 62% open grill at the top. It?s not the best in the world but it?s certainly no slouch, and it?s probably better than your setup.

It?s also SLI certified, and Thermaltake fully support a fanless CPU/GPU/PSU setup too, but I still sure as hell wouldn?t want my GTX285 dumping heat into there.

Anyway, fan count doesn?t necessarily mean everything; it?s mainly dick measuring. From my own tests and tests online, having too many fans can actually cause higher temperatures because hot air swirls around more. I actually get the lowest temperatures by disabling the 90 mm fans, and the noise level is lower too.

Hot air expands, which is part of the reason your closed system GPU runs so much hotter and feels so much hotter at the point of exhaust; I'd rather disipate that heat over a larger area and then get it away from the GPU as fast and efficiently as I can. Once its into the case it can then be quickly carried away by the case's exhaust setup; and I can guarantee, even with dumping all that supposedly super bad heat right into the case, that my case temps are lower than the temps of the average retail PC (and considering cable management, I bet my case temps are better than the average AT member).
One of the basics of case cooling is to expel hot air as directly as possible. That?s what a sealed dual-slot graphics card does, by having a direct path to the outside with no contact with other system components. And it only takes one fan to do it.

What you?re doing is sending heat into the case which allows it to bounce around and heat anything it contacts, and you simply use brute force to solve the problem you created in the first place by throwing multiple fans at the problem.

The fact is, if the hot air moves past any of your other components it?ll heat them up, no matter how fast you eventually evict it. It has to, because at that point you?re essentially using hot air to try to cool them. That and if you have heat-controlled fans anywhere in the system they?ll spin up as a result, which means more noise.

Therefore, the ideal solution is to get rid of the heat before it has a chance to touch anything else in the system. Yes, the GPU itself might be hotter this way, but the whole system will be cooler and quieter overall.

Also your 4850 isn?t exactly high-end which is why it doesn?t even have a dual-slot cooler to begin with it. Get back to me when you have something like a GTX285 or a 4890 dumping hot air into your case. I?m not saying that your way is impossible, just that sealed dual-slot GPU coolers are much better for the system overall.

I might sing a different tune if we're considering 2, 3, or 4 GPUs, but if I was to ever invest in such a setup I'd probably go all out with water cooling anyways.
Yep, you sure would given your ?solution? causes CF to fail because the top card overheats, both with the 4870 and the 4850: http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/4

Also look at the system noise levels of the 4870 (1 GB) vs the 4870 (512 MB): http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/13

The 512 MB uses the stock cooler which evicts hot air while the 1 GB version uses a custom cooler which dumps hot air into the case. The custom cooler has a system noise level of 47 dB compared to 43.6 dB from the stock cooler. Even under idle the stock cooler does better (36.1 dB vs 40.3 dB).

But that?s hardly surprising considering what I said earlier.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005

Then you must be someone who doesn't care about GPU noise, because those type of GPU cooling systems (the rodent cage blower style fan stuck onto an enclosed card cover) are noisy as heck when they ramp up high & loud under load. The rest of us who live/work/play in a quiet room where the GPU fan would easily be the loudest thing, far prefer an aftermarket cooler with a big slow-turning fan and good case airflow. We get the low temps and the quieter rig, we just have to spend a few bucks more and apply a little elbow grease and alcohol to swap out the stock hsg and strap a superior aftermarket cooler onto the card... and of course start with a case with good airflow.

It's not that you're wrong, you just have different priorities. Bunnyfubbles is right too -- for those of us who care about quiet and cool and understand how best to achieve it.