STICKY: ATi 5xxx pre-release thread

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: Creig
5870 GPU/memory auto downclock at idle

GPU Clock - 157MHz
Memory Clock - 300MHz

Temps

95% load, 30% fan speed - 74 deg C
0% load, 20% fan speed - 40 deg C
0% load, 50% fan speed - 32 deg C

http://gathering.tweakers.net/...sage/32587278#32587278

That is almost hard to believe. Very nice idle temps. :)

yeah my 4870 512 idles at around 75 C @ 20% fan speed, so I'd consider 40 C @ 20% fan speed to be damn nice for 58XX

can anyone explain why ATI wasn't able to downclock as aggressively as 58XX for 48XX though?

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Hauk
Originally posted by: MODEL3

Don't cry i will buy you an ATI lol

"They are expected to sell like hotcakes, especially at the ATIfanboy village, here and here."

"You call yourselves engineers... you haven't brought an awesome gpu since G80!"

OMG that was freakin priceless!! Loved it.. :heart: :laugh:

That scene never gets old, and this was one of the best Ive seen... so many great lines

"Those who are going to buy ATI cards leave now"

/everyone leaves

LOL

theblaznee

Jan 28, 2005
Admitted, I didn't read every single post in this MASSIVE thread, but I did try to do some checking by myself, and didn't find an answer..

Will the 5870x2 be limited by a 8x PCI-e slot? Will I need a 16x to properly utilise its power?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: Idontcare

Its been so long since the CRT age, but was AA/AF a big deal with CRT's? I thought it was more of a problem brought on ourselves with the transition to LCD screen and there much better defined (and easily resolvable by the naked eye) square pixels.
Yes, it?s a huge deal with any display tech. AA will always be required due to the inherent nature of converting from vector space to screen space.

That and AF tackles a separate class of problem that doesn?t relate to AA or resolution.

Thanks for answering that question of mine :thumbsup: /noobness on my part shows :eek:

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Originally posted by: theblaznee
Admitted, I didn't read every single post in this MASSIVE thread, but I did try to do some checking by myself, and didn't find an answer..

Will the 5870x2 be limited by a 8x PCI-e slot? Will I need a 16x to properly utilise its power?

No sir, this topic hasn't been addressed yet.

I for one would like to see a nice thorough review, especially with P55 as well as some (cheaper) AMD boards which only do 8x/8x.

However do you mean the single-card 5870x2, or dual card 5870s? If you're just using a single card, you will get your 16x bandwidth. Only when you move to two physical cards in separate slots do such motherboards drop down to 8x/8x.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Originally posted by: Hauk
Originally posted by: MODEL3

Don't cry i will buy you an ATI lol

"They are expected to sell like hotcakes, especially at the ATIfanboy village, here and here."

"You call yourselves engineers... you haven't brought an awesome gpu since G80!"

OMG that was freakin priceless!! Loved it.. :heart: :laugh:

That scene never gets old, and this was one of the best Ive seen... so many great lines

"Those who are going to buy ATI cards leave now"

/everyone leaves

LOL

Why does everyone always hate the more successful company? Nvidia cards were faster, how is ATI superior?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Related to the p55 8x,8x motherboard question..................

It's already shown that gtx 285/4890 take a fairly good hit,especially with certain games and high aa/af levels. I would have to say with more graphically intense games comming it will just get worse with faster cards.
8x,8x is a no no with these cards.

http://www.behardware.com/news...the-2nd-x16-pci-e.html

Heres some charts showing 280 sli and 4870 crossfire already taking a hit with only 1650x1050 with no aa/af. Crank up the resolution and add aa/af with these superfast cards and your gonna get even more of a bandwidth limitation.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardwa...s-gaming-performance/1

Forum discussion.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2333499&enterthread=y

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Originally posted by: happy medium

It's already shown that gtx 285/4890 take a fairly good hit,especially with certain games and high aa/af levels. I would have to say with more graphically intense games comming it will just get worse with faster cards.

Coming to such conclusions is dangerous with only one benchmark suite, which I don't find all that thorough. They only test at one resolution and one set of AA/AF settings. And I think they should have tested the X58 platform in dual channel mode, even though it shouldn't make that big of a difference.

theblaznee

Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln

No sir, this topic hasn't been addressed yet.

I for one would like to see a nice thorough review, especially with P55 as well as some (cheaper) AMD boards which only do 8x/8x.

However do you mean the single-card 5870x2, or dual card 5870s? If you're just using a single card, you will get your 16x bandwidth. Only when you move to two physical cards in separate slots do such motherboards drop down to 8x/8x.

Are you absolutely sure about that? Every time I read something about the P55 chipset they mention this 8x*2 thing, like the first slot is also limited to 8x..

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln
Originally posted by: happy medium

Coming to such conclusions is dangerous with only one benchmark suite, which I don't find all that thorough. They only test at one resolution and one set of AA/AF settings. And I think they should have tested the X58 platform in dual channel mode, even though it shouldn't make that big of a difference.

It would easily lead me to assume that it will definitely effects fps minimums with higher end cards. I do agree we do need more benchmarks with higher resolutions. Not many people are going to use 1600x1050 with a 5870 Imho.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: a123456
Are you absolutely sure about that? Every time I read something about the P55 chipset they mention this 8x*2 thing, like the first slot is also limited to 8x..

Yes.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipse...howdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=9

P55 has 16 total lanes. It's smart enough to use all 16 for single card configurations but has to go x8/x8 for SLI/CF.

+1

@theblaznee, you need to read more about p55 obviously. the 8x*2 thing is mentioned so much because a big selling point of the platform is crossfire/sli capability. Remember that this is 8x/8x pci-e v2.0, which would be like 16x/16x pci-e v1.x. I don't know of a single p55 mobo that only has 8x when one card is used. Don't take our word for it, however, gopost the question in the motherboards forum.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Why does everyone always hate the more successful company? Nvidia cards were faster, how is ATI superior?
the more successful one tends to charge more money

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006

:confused:

Faster? During the 8800 GTX period sure, but after the 4800 series launched ATI had the advantage of price/performance

Plus the companies have traded blows in the past, although Nvidia has come out on top more often

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

:confused:

Faster? During the 8800 GTX period sure, but after the 4800 series launched ATI had the advantage of price/performance

Plus the companies have traded blows in the past, although Nvidia has come out on top more often

Thankfully they launched the 4xxx series a week after the gtx 200 series because the gtx280 was going for 600$ and the 260 for 450$. Nvidia soon dropped the prices of the gtx280/260 to 450$/300$ respectively.
The gtx280 was the fastest card at the time and like we all know that means it's usually overpriced. The last time that Ati has held the fastest card crown <<at launch (in my memory) was the 9700 pro. I believe the 6800,7800.8800 ,and gtx200 series all were the fastest cards <<at launch. Amd seems to play catch up with refreshes, (x800xt<<pe,x19<<50xtx) price cuts, and driver enhancements later. The gtx280 was unanswered from AMD till the 4890 almost 10 months later for the single gpu crown. Nvidia's cards seem to cost more ,but they are faster at launch and you want the fastest you pay the price.
Thank god for competition.

Beanie46

Feb 16, 2009
[

What hate? I just thought it was funny. You seem to confuse someone having fun with the rabid fanboi-ism that surrounds ATi and nVidia with hate.

I wish I'd done that clip. Hilarious. And it seems to stir such emotion in some people, which I cannot understand. After all, we're poking fun at VIDEO CARDS, not something critical to anyone's life.

But the vitriol and flamefests that seem to spring up any time either ATi or nVidia is spoken about, and from people with no material interest in either outside buying one brand or the other, is probably the funniest thing I see. Such passion about a piece of hardware. The way some act you'd think their families were being held hostage by a particular manufacturer and their well being completely depends upon how much he or she can trash the "opposing" manufacturer's products.

Never get tired of watching the "blood feuds" that ensue whenever ATi, nVidia, AMD, Intel are mentioned.

But the clip? Just another funny Hitler clip, this time with nVidia as the butt of the joke. Could be ATi and be just as funny.

Lighten up.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Beanie46
[

What hate? I just thought it was funny. You seem to confuse someone having fun with the rabid fanboi-ism that surrounds ATi and nVidia with hate.

I wish I'd done that clip. Hilarious. And it seems to stir such emotion in some people, which I cannot understand. After all, we're poking fun at VIDEO CARDS, not something critical to anyone's life.

But the vitriol and flamefests that seem to spring up any time either ATi or nVidia is spoken about, and from people with no material interest in either outside buying one brand or the other, is probably the funniest thing I see. Such passion about a piece of hardware. The way some act you'd think their families were being held hostage by a particular manufacturer and their well being completely depends upon how much he or she can trash the "opposing" manufacturer's products.

Never get tired of watching the "blood feuds" that ensue whenever ATi, nVidia, AMD, Intel are mentioned.

But the clip? Just another funny Hitler clip, this time with nVidia as the butt of the joke. Could be ATi and be just as funny.

Lighten up.

LOL, I don't get upset over video cards. But this reminds me of the G4saurus Defectus video where they constantly say how Nvidia uses cave man technology and can't keep up with ATI when in reality the 280 and 285 beat any single chip GPU from ATI. I really don't care who makes my GPU but give credit to where it is due.

When I got my GTX 260 in November it was $60 cheaper than the 1GB 4870 but otherwise I agree they are a better value.

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
according to anand/firing squad, 4890 owns gtx285 in more than half the game under 1920x. it owns in every resolution in certain games like hawk