Stereo Times reviewer holding my $80k power cables for ransom

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think our resident audiophiles need to man up and do a true double blind test with all this snake oil, and see what happens.

Until that happens, it's all BS

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Audiophiles are very healthy and mentally sane. The skeptics eat bad food and are aggressive and attack people. This thread is the proof of that. No wonder they can't hear differences in sound. Instead of listening and discovering the great eargasms, they attack and swear like gang members.
OMG that is so true and hilarious ha ha :D I couldn't have said better. :thumbsup:

To get the highest ear resolution, you need a healthy diet. I go to a nutritionist once a year, she said my test results couldn't be any better. I do this to get better hearing. For years I have optimized the vitamin and mineral dosages to get the best sound from my audio system. You need to learn to listen to the body to know what it needs.
Very well said. In the past my body was weak due to the lack of nutrients and kept eating wrong food. I was often tired and it did affect my hearing too. Another thing is you can't enjoy music when you're tired... I've got all the vitamins from Spinach (one of the badass veggie found on earth). I drink 4 cups of Japanese green tea now, and also consume large dose of veggies in the ramen... I feel great as fuck (oops pardon me for bad language). My MOMMY cooks for me so she sends me some food once a week too so extra saving on my money. :D

No profanity in the tech forums

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Benchmark DAC1 is very good. But the internal toroidal transformer needs to be placed outside the chassis to get a new layer of microdetail. See on the picture, I put the toroid on the right side of the Benchmark DAC1.
ERS_system.JPG

I put ERS Paper inside it also to reduce internal noise reflections.
ERS_DAC1.JPG

With EMU 0404 USB, this AC/DC adapter is already outside. And it's directly plugged to the AC outlet, so it doesn't need a power cable. The plastic chassis of EMU doesn't reflect the internal RFI reflections. So I never needed to do the same ERS Paper treatment for it. I just had to put ERS Paper outside the EMU to stop RFI from coming in. I have replaced the ERS Paper with crystals now, it made it much more natural and transparent.
Wow, that's some hardcore stuff. Beyond what I thought of doing.

Kudos to you!

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
This is my dream power cord:

Audioquest NRG Wel Signature
captureul.png

My wish list. No way I can get that anytime soon... :(

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
OK, micro detail is great and all but I want nano detail and I don't want to spend $13M for it -- is there any hope? ;);)

Spending $80K for speaker wire is like an old Gremlin (car) with $5000 22" wheels...

Brian

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Oh and cheez, and you've rendered your ERS paper useless by taping them together with packing tape. You should have sown them together with cotton thread. :colbert:

:D

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
I got the cables back today! Here is the unboxing video for proof! http://youtu.be/2Icu8kKKZtk

I tested the cable in many ways, it works perfectly and is built perfectly! There is no way the cable could have blown his tubes.

1) Plugged it into my amp, ran music for 15 minutes, worked perfectly.

2) I opened up the plugs, the conductors were crazy tight, I pulled and rotated in all directions, the conductors didn't come loose, I used all my strength, nothing can loosen the conductors!

3) The conductors were wired properly. Blue wire to blue screw, brown wire to brown screw. Green/yellow wire to green screw. Identical on both plugs!

4) I Inspected the cable closely and the copper conductors look fresh, no sign of a short-circuit anywhere. The insulation looks new, no sign of melting.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Oh and cheez, and you've rendered your ERS paper useless by taping them together with packing tape. You should have sown them together with cotton thread. :colbert:

:D
The ERS Paper needs to have tape on the edges to avoid short-circuits. Otherwise this happens:

ppp.jpg

scootermaster

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2005
You guys are over-thinking this.

First off, it's an obvious troll thread. I don't doubt this dude is in to audiophile shit, and I don't doubt this dude tries to make money off of it, but beyond that....

Regardless, look at it like this:

Let's say you're 90, and on your death bed. In the bed next to you, sharing a room, is your best friend, but he's a devout Christian. He's 100% convinced, without a shadow of a doubt that he's going to heaven. You're...not. You're just a dude.

Don't you think, at that moment, your friend is probably happier than you are? Keep in mind, this has no bearing on whether or not he's actually going to heaven, but if this cat THINKS he is, it probably makes him feel better [also, to be completely fair, you don't know for certainly he's NOT going to heaven. I mean, you can't scientifically prove it, so, y'know....]

So, yeah, if you've made peace with your beliefs, and are 100% sure that there is no god, and you're cool with where you go when you die, then yeah, you might come close to being as happy as that dude, but, a). you'll probably never quite get to his level of happiness and b). eliminating ALL doubt, without something to help you through the process -- i.e. "faith", the idea that you don't have to explain everything -- is really, really, really freakin' tough, and a state most people don't ever get to.

So it is with this audiophile retard.

He simply "believes". Well, that, and he wants to scam people out of money with his beliefs. He's no different than an evangelist on TV in that regard. But the point is, he has faith in his "god"; in this case, his "eargasms". We can't prove it doesn't exist, because, really, for him it does exist. And we shouldn't begrudge that any more than you'd begrudge someone dying their belief in the afterlife, as silly as it may sound to the rest of us.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
The same can be said about the skeptics. They simply "believe" that cables can't make a difference. They don't even try cables because their belief is so strong.

All audiophiles have been skeptics at one point, then they tried cables and found the truth. Most of the skeptics still live in ignorance, it's sad what they are missing. It's like they never lose their virginity.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Guess what the power company uses to get power to your house? Guess what the electricians that wired your house used? Plain, old copper wire.

Not to nitpick, but Aluminum wire has been used in homes as well, though I think that's finally stopped - copper + aluminum = ignition risk.

---

I've brought this thread to the attention of the moderators. I doubt anything will be done, but let's stop feeding the troll.

People: I suggest you look up Patrick82 and ValhallaPC on the audio forums. If you want to laugh at a troll, you've found him.

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
Seeing as you have some very high end $80,000 power cables. I would assume you could afford a half decent knife for opening packages. Or at least a wet stone and 10 minutes to watch a youtube video and sharpen your blunt steel object in the video.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Seeing as you have some very high end $80,000 power cables. I would assume you could afford a half decent knife for opening packages. Or at least a wet stone and 10 minutes to watch a youtube video and sharpen your blunt steel object in the video.

THAT NOT IMPROVE SOUND! You must wrap the knife in paper, that will greatly improve your sound quality since the knife can reflect RF waves.

You must also wrap yourself in paper, since the body gives off low level electrical impulses.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I google "ERS paper" and the second link is to a head-fi.org thread from 2007... with surprise special guest Patrick82!

Status
Not open for further replies.