Stereo Times reviewer holding my $80k power cables for ransom

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Good man! I'm liking you already. GIMME HUG! :D

Let me clarify my statement. I'm not opposed to people buying expensive cables, it's their money, not mine. However, if someone is looking to buy expensive cables, they better have the equipment to go along with it, and I'm not talking about a MacBook Pro with some low end speakers. Now if you have a Classe SSP-800 pre/pro with some Classe/McIntosh amps and B&W 800 Diamond series speakers (or any other high end speakers) and have a few extra thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket, sure, knock yourself out. Buy some expensive cables. They won't really add anything extra to the sound quality, but they sure do look cool.

That being said, this OCDing over power cables (or any cables for that matter) is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY someone claiming to have $80K power cables. That's just stupid. But like I said, it's someone else's money, not mine.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
D:

Power cables have no measurable effect on audio signals and if it can't be measured, it's not there. You're making stuff up as you go like your assertion that gold is only used in low end gears and that it is a poor conductor. Even Patrick disagree with you on this.
Your ignorance is appalling.
I meant "gold-plated". Both nickels and gold are bad source for conductance.. this is standard.

High performance power cords do play very important role... They filter higher frequencies before feeding power to your equipment. All sorts of electrical noise is also removed or minimized so that you get clean power.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well, selling large volume cables (generic grade) is one thing, but testing out high-end cables is another.

This is like saying I work at the car wash so I know all about cars... it doesn't work that way.:D (no pun intended, and not directed at you)

I have mil spec cables, as in cables used in airplanes. You really don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know what a high end cable is? No, I am not talking about your fairy dust infused stuff.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Let me clarify my statement. I'm not opposed to people buying expensive cables, it's their money, not mine. However, if someone is looking to buy expensive cables, they better have the equipment to go along with it, and I'm not talking about a MacBook Pro with some low end speakers. Now if you have a Classe SSP-800 pre/pro with some Classe/McIntosh amps and B&W 800 Diamond series speakers (or any other high end speakers) and have a few extra thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket, sure, knock yourself out. Buy some expensive cables. They won't really add anything extra to the sound quality, but they sure do look cool.
That's half correct. The expensive cables are not only for looks but really for sound performance. I do get amazing sound out of my $1200 Angel cable from either MBP or PC w/ sound card with my A2 speakers. They sound better than many other speakers that cost thousands more.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I meant "gold-plated". Both nickels and gold are bad source for conductance.. this is standard.

High performance power cords do play very important role... They filter higher frequencies before feeding power to your equipment. All sorts of electrical noise is also removed or minimized so that you get clean power.

... power cable that filters... that is an oxymoron...

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010

I have mil spec cables, as in cables used in airplanes. You really don't know what you are talking about. Do you even know what a high end cable is? No, I am not talking about your fairy dust infused stuff.
Well the airplane cables are not used for audiophiles.. they serve different purpose. :D

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
That's half correct. The expensive cables are not only for looks but really for sound performance. I do get amazing sound out of my $1200 Angel cable from either MBP or PC w/ sound card with my A2 speakers. They sound better than many other speakers that cost thousands more.

LOL......where is a double blind test when you need one?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Aerospace industry cables have much higher standards... especially mil spec.

Do yours have putty squidged around the ends? :colbert:

Are they wrapped in paper? :colbert:

Are you a loon that cant separate reality from fantasy? :colbert:

Well then your argument is invalid. D:

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

It's 100% correct. You should have spent the money on better speakers rather than a cable. Sorry. If you are truly after better SQ performance, upgrading your speakers would have been the correct choice. In other words, "you chose...poorly."

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
It's 100% correct. You should have spent the money on better speakers rather than a cable. Sorry. If you are truly after better SQ performance, upgrading your speakers would have been the correct choice. In other words, "you chose...poorly."
That's half correct. Actually 1/4 correct. The real benefit of the high-end cables is the sound, not looks. I have listened to quite a few speakers that cost more than my A2 speakers but they don't sound as good as my A2. There is something you just can't get with larger higher end speakers that you can get with A2's especially coupled with mid / high-end cables. I doubt even a $3000 speaker set will be able to compete, unless you get into over 10 grand just on speakers.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
That's half correct. Actually 1/4 correct. The real benefit of the high-end cables is the sound, not looks. I have listened to quite a few speakers that cost more than my A2 speakers but they don't sound as good as my A2. There is something you just can't get with larger higher end speakers that you can get with A2's especially coupled with mid / high-end cables. I doubt even a $3000 speaker set will be able to compete, unless you get into over 10 grand just on speakers.

:rolleyes: I'll go ahead and leave you with your delusions.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Also when you go with a performance cable make sure to get the longer ones as they increase benefit of electrical noise filtration. 8ft would be good, more expensive though. :)

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Isn't gold used because it doesn't erode?

Yes, gold does not suffer oxidation and corrosion like copper or silver do. It also transmits electrons far better than a layer of plastic would if you wanted to use that as an insulator instead...

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Isn't gold used because it doesn't erode?

Not primarily. It's used because it is the best conductor of electricity.

Plus, it is very easily worked, so it can be made in lots of different shapes, and since it's the best conductor, it doesn't need to be as large to carry the same amount of electricity as say, copper.

skriefal

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
Then the amps didn't have proper filtering, and you needed to add that before the amp. You must always assume that your AC power is nasty stuff and needs some amount of filtering.

Very possible. But considering how frequently I've seen this, it's apparent that most audio equipment lacks proper filtering (I'm referring to moderately-afforable equipment here -- not to $20K Krell monoblocks). Power filtration is a good idea, but it's also good to avoid adding the noise when possible.

I do have an APC H15, but it seems to be just about useless for power filtration.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
Also when you go with a performance cable make sure to get the longer ones as they increase benefit of electrical noise filtration. 8ft would be good, more expensive though. :)

If you really want good cabling, you need to upgrade from silver to a super conductor. Sure it's expensive to keep them cold while the music is playing, and pumping the liquid nitrogen around the listening room can look a little messy (not to mention dealing with the condensation) but the way it opens up the sound is unmatched!

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Not primarily. It's used because it is the best conductor of electricity.

Plus, it is very easily worked, so it can be made in lots of different shapes, and since it's the best conductor, it doesn't need to be as large to carry the same amount of electricity as say, copper.

(said in a condescending tone to cheez, and in a friendly tone to Pacfanweb) Gold is the third best conductor, better than it are copper and silver. However, Gold is the least resistive metal - you loose the least amount of signal to it really. Regardless of that, gold is used because unlike silver and copper, there's no real concerns about it tarnishing/oxidizing.

You mean the longest cable is the most likely to pick up EF noise, right?

Oh- reminds me - do you turn your cell phone off? Cell phones can interfere with audio too.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you really want good cabling, you need to upgrade from silver to a super conductor. Sure it's expensive to keep them cold while the music is playing, and pumping the liquid nitrogen around the listening room can look a little messy (not to mention dealing with the condensation) but the way it opens up the sound is unmatched!

:biggrin:

Keeps your beer frosty as well. :thumbsup:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Why would a power cable filter noise. Isn't the point of a cable to transmit the source with as little alteration as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.