Steam Daily Deals:5/23/12 Wednesday: Lucidity $2.49 50% off

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Damn, I was hoping it would be the newer Wolfenstein.

I'm looking for a fun Singularity-type single player romp on the cheap. Singularity remains the last game I've actually finished.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Wolfenstein 3D isn't a bad way to pass the time for only $1. It's pre-packaged with DOSbox, so there's no compatibility issues with Windows 7, and it will still run on old computers.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Tempted to buy RTCW...got so many hours of fun out of that one.

It is pretty fun, but beware if you get motion sick from fast movement.

Wolfenstein 3D isn't a bad way to pass the time for only $1. It's pre-packaged with DOSbox, so there's no compatibility issues with Windows 7, and it will still run on old computers.

I got it with the id complete back years ago (My first big purchase on steam). My guess is that nostalgia only need apply.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
This game is shit. After playing it last Christmas just to get the holiday achievements, I'm never installing it again, out of principal.

Nation Red - a similar kind of game - was on sale for cheaper a couple days ago, and it's 100x more fun.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
it sounds nice in the screenshots, but its actually pretty bland...even if you play it with friends... its just NOT funny

i got it with the indiegala (or it was indie royale? cant remember now) some months ago

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
Anyone have hands-on experience with SSBR?

Though I don't quite know why I'm this hesitant to throw the handful of loose change at it and find out for myself - the 55/100 metacritic rating is holding me back, I guess.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've had it for awhile but still haven't played it. That being said, I am mad at myself for not playing it yet because it does look neat.

murban135

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Anyone have hands-on experience with SSBR?

Though I don't quite know why I'm this hesitant to throw the handful of loose change at it and find out for myself - the 55/100 metacritic rating is holding me back, I guess.
I thought it was pretty entertaining. I would definitely recommend it for $1.50.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Steam fails to mention that Commandos 1 and perhaps 2 as well will NOT run properly on modern PCs. first the resolution is absolutely horrendous, and 2nd the game runs in something of a "fast forward" mode. The commandos and the enemies move like they are on speed.

I did some research, and it seems like the modern CPUs simply do that to that game. There are a number of fixes posted, but let me be the 1st to say, THEY DON'T WORK. Unless you know exactly what must be done, save your money. I wasted $10 back in the day for the same exact commandos collection and I cannot even play it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Steam fails to mention that Commandos 1 and perhaps 2 as well will NOT run properly on modern PCs. first the resolution is absolutely horrendous, and 2nd the game runs in something of a "fast forward" mode. The commandos and the enemies move like they are on speed.

I did some research, and it seems like the modern CPUs simply do that to that game. There are a number of fixes posted, but let me be the 1st to say, THEY DON'T WORK. Unless you know exactly what must be done, save your money. I wasted $10 back in the day for the same exact commandos collection and I cannot even play it.

Seconded. Steam needs to be more forthright with information on the games they sell or they need to not sell games that won't work on modern systems.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I understand what you guys are saying, but when you look at what the game requirements are and see Windows 98SE/ME as system requirements, can you really bitch that it doesn't work on a modern system? It would be like buying a copy you found on some stores shelf and then angry it didn't work on your modern PC.

As always with old PC games, need to do a little research to see if it will run on a modern system, or buy from GOG.

Also, Steam is just the store front, they put on that games store page what the publisher/developer tells them too for the most part.

With that being said, it would be nice if Steam did do some in house testing with older titles and put a warning on the page saying may/will not work on W7/XP/Etc

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I understand what you guys are saying, but when you look at what the game requirements are and see Windows 98SE/ME as system requirements, can you really bitch that it doesn't work on a modern system? It would be like buying a copy you found on some stores shelf and then angry it didn't work on your modern PC.

As always with old PC games, need to do a little research to see if it will run on a modern system, or buy from GOG.

Also, Steam is just the store front, they put on that games store page what the publisher/developer tells them too for the most part.

With that being said, it would be nice if Steam did do some in house testing with older titles and put a warning on the page saying may/will not work on W7/XP/Etc

The problem is that it will run on *no one's* system. What percentage of Steam users are running Pentium IIs?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The problem is that it will run on *no one's* system. What percentage of Steam users are running Pentium IIs?

Hell if I know. I know I have an old 98SE box that I keep for some old games, but I do know I'm in the minority on that as well. Still, why can't something be sold that is just for an extreme minority anyways?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Hell if I know. I know I have an old 98SE box that I keep for some old games, but I do know I'm in the minority on that as well. Still, why can't something be sold that is just for an extreme minority anyways?

It can be, but they still need a note or something. I can play Doom on my system. I can play Quake on my system. I can play UT99 on my system. I *can't* play commandos on my system. In order to find this out, some of their customers have to buy it, and then end up with an unplayable game which they can't return.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It can be, but they still need a note or something. I can play Doom on my system. I can play Quake on my system. I can play UT99 on my system. I *can't* play commandos on my system. In order to find this out, some of their customers have to buy it, and then end up with an unplayable game which they can't return.

Thing is those 3 games you mentioned all list being compatible with a XP/Vista system, meaning the dev/publisher did update them to some degree to make them playable on a modern system.