Star Trek: Enterprise question.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The problem with long arcs is the show gets cancelled and you are left without closure. And most shows get cancelled.
Or you get the "Yes we're canceled....no we're not! Oh, yes we are. Wait, no we're not!" So then you end up with screwy stories and multiple series finale episodes that seem out of place.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I read somewhere that after Enterprise a new trek was pitched but declined. Something about it being set in the 31st century where the Federation are fat and bloated and haven't discovered any meaningful tech in centuries and deep space exploration isn't done anymore. They become a soft target and get invaded and that's where the series was supposed to pick up. It was apparently going to be very dark.

I can't say it sounded great but I'm a bit over the 23rd and 24th centuries and Enterprise made the 22nd appear dull.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I read somewhere that after Enterprise a new trek was pitched but declined. Something about it being set in the 31st century where the Federation are fat and bloated and haven't discovered any meaningful tech in centuries and deep space exploration isn't done anymore. They become a soft target and get invaded and that's where the series was supposed to pick up. It was apparently going to be very dark.

I can't say it sounded great but I'm a bit over the 23rd and 24th centuries and Enterprise made the 22nd appear dull.
1000 years from now...I wonder what their ideas of 1000-year-advanced Earth-based sentient life will be?
It's telling that, even in TNG, the bridge crew was shown as being nervous about having the ship do something simple like get them safely out of an asteroid field laced with radiation-generating weapons. It's 2013, and we've got spacecraft that can pilot themselves rather well, and some experimental cars that can drive themselves in normal conditions. So 300 years from now, they'll have the ability to use antimatter for huge spacecraft, FTL travel, directed energy weapons....and a computer with superluminal processing systems, which no one trusts to drive the ship. By that point in time, their main computer should be the most intelligent thing on that ship by a considerable margin.

And we already have a 31st century TV show anyway, which explored a similar premise, at least in a few episodes. Their Federation was known as DOOP. :p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You already know what it will be like, cuz the multi season arc showed us thanks to that time traveling police force.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
best part of the early episodes is when they do things that you recognize as being standard regs/practices in the later series.

Yeah, it was especially funny with the creation of red alert signal. :)

IMHO third series was the best, 4th was good, but some of the stories weren't meant for two or three episodes and the overall pace was way too slow. I liked the second series episode (I don't remember the name) when Hoshi had to use the transporter and she started to fade away. That was a really good episode.