Star Trek: Enterprise question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
I really liked enterprise, but season 1 was not very epic. Later, when captain archer grows a set (and they are metaphorically huge) it gets really good.
I can't hardly stand DS 9 though.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I think star trek fans are getting a bit of time travel fatigue, would have been nice if Enterprise had avoided it.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
I hated the theme song.

What do you mean a ballad isn't appropriate for a sci-fi show? LOL

I'm known to be someone who sits through the credits but I turned off Enterprise's credits every single time because of that atrocity.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I never got into DS9 or Voyager, at all, I probably watched maybe 1 or 2 episodes of each max, they just sucked. But I liked Enterprise and watched it up until the end of the Xindi season anyway. And yes, the theme song sucks.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Yea, ds9 was one of the best.

If you like this series other then the last season I would assume you are one of the people that don't like the original star wars films but prefer the newer ones.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Wait... I thought TNG was the first time the Borg were introduced?

o_O
The writers so cleverly got around that by having the Borg in Enterprise avoid calling themselves by name.

"We are the CENSORED. You will be CENSORED."

I hated the theme song.
Upon hearing that the first time, I wondered if it was some kind of parody, or what was going wrong. Yes, something had gone wrong, but it was intentional.

I rather liked the one done with the ST: Generations music.
...hm, that one is paced slightly faster than the older one I've heard.

Edit: Here it is. :)

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
And never ends...seriously, the Xindi arc was about 40 episodes too long.

But the arc served several useful purposes. It gave the ship a mission, it took the ship away from Earth support, it took the ship into uncharted space and it let Archer and the ship be more shoot first rather than be wussies.

Mitch89

Mar 13, 2013
best part of the early episodes is when they do things that you recognize as being standard regs/practices in the later series.

I think my favourite of these was "Tactical Alert", which Tucker jokingly offered "Reid alert" for a name. Tying it to "Red Alert" like that was brilliant.

I liked the first two seasons, they were fun and light, with a few serious episodes thrown in. Season 3 was great, and Season 4 pushed the quality even further....right up till the end.

The finale is easily the worst in Starfleet history.

DS9 is still my fav :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I think star trek fans are getting a bit of time travel fatigue, would have been nice if Enterprise had avoided it.

The new ST movies are exclusively time travel based. :( Its sad to see the franchise decline like this.

And never ends...seriously, the Xindi arc was about 40 episodes too long.

Eh? Season 3, the Xindi arc, was only about 23 episodes long. And some of the best in ST:Ent, to date, its also the only Star Trek series to have a single story arc span an entire season. Future Star Trek TV series should also have season long arcs.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
its also the only Star Trek series to have a single story arc span an entire season. Future Star Trek TV series should also have season long arcs.

DS9's Dominion War would like to have a word with you.

Maybe the arcs weren't as tight as in other serialized shows, but they spanned the last three seasons of the show.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Enterprise was poison, all the way through.

TNG 3+ and DS9 2+ are the way to go. The rest of trek is just plain bad.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
If there are people that liked enterprise, then I guess you can put literally anything on tv and SOMEONE will be like hey i like that show!

Terrible, terrible show.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
If there are people that liked enterprise, then I guess you can put literally anything on tv and SOMEONE will be like hey i like that show!

Terrible, terrible show.

Liking a few shows that many would consider garbage myself, I was trying to avoid insulting anyone's tastes, but yeah... this.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I hated the theme song.

Oh God, I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. There probably have been worse TV theme tunes, but that particular one makes me think it could be the theme tune to some cross-over between Titanic and Armageddon. I think I would die if I was forced to watch the result. Death by cringe.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Enterprise was poison, all the way through.

The term "poison" is a little excessive IMHO but I agree that the developers/Producers of the show really dropped the ball and missed a huge opportunity with the show. The show was supposed to start years after first contact and take your breath away with the excitement (and danger) of exploring the unknown. Instead it mostly puts one to sleep.

A huge opportunity was missed ...

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
The new ST movies are exclusively time travel based. :( Its sad to see the franchise decline like this.

I don't mind time travel storylines if they're done correctly. It's like a good spice -- if eaten too often it gets old and if used incorrectly doesn't taste good.

The problem with Enterprise was the subpar writing all the way up until Season 4. The series finale was a shining example of why Berman and Braga had become such horrible writers and killed the show early on.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The "real" problem of Enterprise was the overall plot.

After 3 years of TOS, 7 years of TNG, 7 years of Voyager and 7 years of DS9 PLUS 6 movies what was left to do?

Voyager and DS9 at least got away from the "original" mission to seek out new life. Voyagers mission was to survive and get home and DS9 was the base of operations in a war.

At times Enterprise was TNG with worse tech.

What they should have done, imo, is give the Enterprise a mission to seek out new technology and allies to defend the Earth. Archer should have been in the middle of Earth demanding tech and the possibility of making new allies.

Anything except sailing along and bumping into a new planet most weeks. Been there and done to death.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yea, ds9 was one of the best.

If you like this series other then the last season I would assume you are one of the people that don't like the original star wars films but prefer the newer ones.

I just didn't care about the story at all or the characters. And the I saw the original Star Wars movies in theaters when they were released. The new movies blow. Han should have shot George Lucas.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Enterprise's main fault was making humanity look like a bunch of whiny wimps that had to live under other people's rules. I liked Scott Bakula and the doctor well enough, but the rest of the cast never really gelled.

Most of the shows focused on getting defeated in some way and having to find a work around to their goal instead of overcoming the threat. While this premise works on a "once in a while" basis for normal shows, you need a really strong cast to pull it off on a regular basis (Battlestar Galactica is a good example of this).

In the end, Enterprise became exhausting to watch. "Let's see how the crew gets messed up this week!"

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Enterprise's main fault was making humanity look like a bunch of whiny wimps that had to live under other people's rules. I liked Scott Bakula and the doctor well enough, but the rest of the cast never really gelled.

Most of the shows focused on getting defeated in some way and having to find a work around to their goal instead of overcoming the threat. While this premise works on a "once in a while" basis for normal shows, you need a really strong cast to pull it off on a regular basis (Battlestar Galactica is a good example of this).

In the end, Enterprise became exhausting to watch. "Let's see how the crew gets messed up this week!"

I agree with you there. The last season was unwatchable.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I watched Enterprise before the other series. Call me a late adopter if you will. That's how I enjoyed it. I imagine many others were like that. It apparently was terrible for the fanbase but I wasn't part of that demographic at the time.

I agree, the theme song made me want to puke though.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
How could you not like DS9? Quark was the man.

Actually, I think Garak was what made the series for me.

My favorite episode, in fact, was "In the Pale Moonlight".. when they bring the Romulans into the Dominion war.