Star Trek: Enterprise question.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Actually, I think Garak was what made the series for me.

My favorite episode, in fact, was "In the Pale Moonlight".. when they bring the Romulans into the Dominion war.

That was an amazing episode and any episode with Garak was awesome. There are a few time travel episodes that are good, The Visitor was a really good episode.

Those kinds of episodes have to be very few and far between though and the problem with Enterprise was starting right off the bat in the first episode, time travel was the central theme.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
The new ST movies are exclusively time travel based. :( Its sad to see the franchise decline like this.

Well the previous ST movie was a reboot of the series and they used time travel as the catalyst to facilitate that but I don't think they'll be constantly using it in the next few movies. I could be wrong though and they could constantly pull enemies from the 'future/original timeline' which would be lame.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I think star trek fans are getting a bit of time travel fatigue, would have been nice if Enterprise had avoided it.

I thought the mirror universe episode was good. A very long story arc could have been formed around that. Parallel universe interaction would have been cooler than time travel stuff.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Actually, I think Garak was what made the series for me.

My favorite episode, in fact, was "In the Pale Moonlight".. when they bring the Romulans into the Dominion war.

That was a good episode, Garak was one of my favorites too.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
When you've watched as much Star Trek as often as I did in my youth, you would memorize episode names too.

It is easy to remember the names of good episodes especially. I grew up watching reruns... and as an adult I've rewatched the entire series of DS9 and TNG multiple times with friends who hadn't seen them... so I made sure to pay attention to titles even more.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Garak was the best character from DS9.

Unlike in all of the other Star Trek shows, I didn't think DS9 had a truly weak link among the main cast. Hell, its semi-regulars like Garak, Dukat and Nog were more fleshed out than most of the main characters in the other shows.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
They should have had a romulan war planned from the beginning. It should have been hinted at in the latter stages of the 1st season. The second season should have been build up and skirmishes, with some battle at the finale. Third season should have been the war, with the cobbling together of the federation, with the war going poorly for most of the season, but some type of victory for the new alliance that will become the alliance stemming the tide of defeat. 4th season should mop up the war and get into the creation of the federation.

By the 3rd season, most trek fans would have been watching, and I'm sure the war storyline would bring in new people.

The old style OS & TNG model of singular, unconnected episodes doesn't really work anymore. You need a broader, season long narrative arc.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
It works if its well written... Trek uses these for character development a lot. For instance many episodes featuring Quark had nothing or very little to do with the dominion.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's one of my favorite series. I thought the characters were the most endearing and likable. When it was over I really felt I missed them.

I really liked the theme song too.

The last episode was horrible though. That was an abomination. And I did get a little annoyed that the captain seemed to get so pissed off all the time. I like how he was in the beginning more. More optimistic and positive.

Indeed

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
It works if its well written... Trek uses these for character development a lot. For instance many episodes featuring Quark had nothing or very little to do with the dominion.

Yeah, every episode doesn't need to heavy on the season's plotline, but having that arc attracts viewers. And "romulan war" would have attracted a lot more than the crap they put out in the first season.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The demonization of Vulcans is what turned me off to Enterprise. The few episodes I liked was when they provided background on some technologies and backstories that were in TOS and TNG.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Unlike in all of the other Star Trek shows, I didn't think DS9 had a truly weak link among the main cast. Hell, its semi-regulars like Garak, Dukat and Nog were more fleshed out than most of the main characters in the other shows.

Dax was kind of week and underutilized well.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The demonization of Vulcans is what turned me off to Enterprise.
If that's what bothered you, you really need to watch season 4. A couple of the arcs in that season allude to why the Vulcans were the uptight jackasses that they once were, and how humanity's intervention changed that.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
They should have had a romulan war planned from the beginning. It should have been hinted at in the latter stages of the 1st season. The second season should have been build up and skirmishes, with some battle at the finale. Third season should have been the war, with the cobbling together of the federation, with the war going poorly for most of the season, but some type of victory for the new alliance that will become the alliance stemming the tide of defeat. 4th season should mop up the war and get into the creation of the federation.

By the 3rd season, most trek fans would have been watching, and I'm sure the war storyline would bring in new people.

The old style OS & TNG model of singular, unconnected episodes doesn't really work anymore. You need a broader, season long narrative arc.

^ Agreed. I would have loved to watch that series. Double ditto on the unconnected episodes, thats not a good style any more. Cohesive arcs are much more interesting and involving.

Which one?

I liked Ezri, but she only had one season on the show. :(

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
^ Agreed. I would have loved to watch that series. Double ditto on the unconnected episodes, thats not a good style any more. Cohesive arcs are much more interesting and involving.

The problem with long arcs is the show gets cancelled and you are left without closure. And most shows get cancelled.