Star Trek: Enterprise question.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
I've been doing my damnedest to get into this show, but I'm 3/4 through the first season, and I just don't like it. (Save a few notable episodes.)

I love Star Trek, and have enjoyed all of the other iterations in the universe. And while the concept of Enterprise is interesting, I find the characters in the show to be forgettable and unlikeable, and the writing poor.

Does the show get any better as the seasons progress?

Thanks.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i'd say the last 2 seasons are decent. the second season is really really poor i'd say and i think drove a lot of regular viewers away, which might have been why its ratings were so bad and it didnt make it the full 7 seasons

they writing really was pretty poor especially at first.

i mean the decontamination chambers just so they could showcase jolene blaylock half naked i remember was pretty low, it just seemed like they resorted to that so early on.

some of the other characters also don't get developed out nearly as much as say some of the other series like say voyager where even more minor people get episodes to learn about them

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Also, pretend that there is no series finale, and just don't watch it.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm told it gets better, but s1 was pretty bad. Aside from weak stories and an unimpressive captain, it was annoying that the writers loved to toss in awful nudge-nudge foreshadowing of the other shows to pander to trekkies,

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I'm told it gets better, but s1 was pretty bad. Aside from weak stories and an unimpressive captain, it was annoying that the writers loved to toss in awful nudge-nudge foreshadowing of the other shows to pander to trekkies,

Yea they did that a bit like bringing back the borg just because they could.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Wait... I thought TNG was the first time the Borg were introduced?

o_O

One would think that would make sense but it doesn't.

You would have to watch that episode and I believe first contact movie to understand it.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Seasons 1 and 2 were similar and are largely forgettable.

Season 3 is good to watch as a single self-contained story arc. It isn't Star Trek though because it makes up some war that never actually happened in the Star Trek universe and uses time travel to hand wave it into existence. That said, I found it entertaining TV.

Season 4 is where it started to get good. They brought on a new writer and focuses on developing the backstory of the ST universe. They were just building to the Romulan War when the show got cancelled. Most of the season was quite good though. The finale was lame.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Season 3 is good to watch as a single self-contained story arc. It isn't Star Trek though because it makes up some war that never actually happened in the Star Trek universe and uses time travel to hand wave it into existence. That said, I found it entertaining TV.

The entire time travel crap was as annoying to me as the various holodeck episodes most star trek had at one time or another.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I also didn't care as much for season 3. Season 4 was the best. I also really liked Commander Shran.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
i mean the decontamination chambers just so they could showcase jolene blaylock half naked i remember was pretty low, it just seemed like they resorted to that so early on.
That was really bad. It was for titillation and absolutely nothing else (okay, the time they killed a Tholian with it was cool, but I digress). Even the actors had trouble with that; poor Connor Trinneer (Tucker) couldn't even keep it down when shooting the first episode.
I also didn't care as much for season 3. Season 4 was the best. I also really liked Commander Shran.
Season 3 was enjoyable. But it's season 4 that ended up being awesome. And Shran (Jeffrey Combs) is totally the man; Andorians are a cold people with hot blood, and he delivered on it perfectly.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I enjoyed this series. It's worth watching just for Jolene Blalock. There isn't a picture of her that doesn't belong in the babe thread.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Does the show get any better as the seasons progress?

Dude, you are a glutton for punishment. Other than a few good episodes (Civilization, Carbon Creek, North Star (opinion)) the series is a near-wasteland for Trek fans. The producers knew the show was in trouble so they brought in the "antagonists" (the Xindi) during season 3. Unfortunately, the Xindi were not the Borg and the rest of the series is just a means to an end ... and I do mean end.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
best part of the early episodes is when they do things that you recognize as being standard regs/practices in the later series.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
It's one of my favorite series. I thought the characters were the most endearing and likable. When it was over I really felt I missed them.

I really liked the theme song too.

The last episode was horrible though. That was an abomination. And I did get a little annoyed that the captain seemed to get so pissed off all the time. I like how he was in the beginning more. More optimistic and positive.