Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If what you say is true (and I think it is), it points to poor management at CIG. Which honestly isn't that surprising. CIG is, after all, the same company that subcontracted FPS level design to Ilfonic and then didn't give them any direction and/or the correct sizing resulting in most of the work being thrown away. I expect this from Chris Roberts: he's a dreamer, not a leader. But I do NOT expect this from his brother Erin. Erin is a leader, not a dreamer. So how Erin, Chris, and even Ortwin could forget to remind/inform their development team: "oh hey guys we're contractually required to display the Crytek logo on our boot up screen, so make sure that happens" is just amazing to me. But then again, I need to remind myself that I'm only hearing Crytek's side of the story......

Erin worked on Lego games. Like what about his resume made you think he was ready to tackle a mmo? This project was doomed to nepotism from the start. A few people made a bundle of money and a bunch of fresh grads got their first experience making a game.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Erin worked on Lego games. Like what about his resume made you think he was ready to tackle a mmo? This project was doomed to nepotism from the start. A few people made a bundle of money and a bunch of fresh grads got their first experience making a game.

Those Lego games were pretty successful and Erin ran those Production teams (unlike Chris who was dabbling in movies at the time). But you make a valid point that those weren't $200 million MMOs. But honestly, I don't see nepotism here (Sandi is an entirely different topic). I think Chris recognized his own limitations and hired his experienced brother to help address those limitations. I thought it was a great move and made sense. I still do.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Those Lego games were pretty successful and Erin ran those Production teams (unlike Chris who was dabbling in movies at the time). But you make a valid point that those weren't $200 million MMOs. But honestly, I don't see nepotism here (Sandi is an entirely different topic). I think Chris recognized his own limitations and hired his experienced brother to help address those limitations. I thought it was a great move and made sense. I still do.

dude its total nepotism. You dont transition out of small lego games and into something that big alone. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. Going through it right now, the proper way.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You dont transition out of small lego games and into something that big alone.
Juuust curious, why do you consider the Lego series which has made billions 'small' but an unreleased game from a genre that's kinda limpy, from an creator that hasn't seen a release in 15 years? I mean, yeah, they're 'just lego games', but those things have been *wildly* successful.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Juuust curious, why do you consider the Lego series which has made billions 'small' but an unreleased game from a genre that's kinda limpy, from an creator that hasn't seen a release in 15 years? I mean, yeah, they're 'just lego games', but those things have been *wildly* successful.

Its about the type of game not how much it sells.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
those games have no innovation. They just go in and tweak the assets and boom another game done.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
dude its total nepotism. You dont transition out of small lego games and into something that big alone. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. Going through it right now, the proper way.

It's probable that everyone involved with this project was over their heads.. more so when the creep came in, but I don't see how CR would have done better. It's not like the people that have experiance making these games were the type that'd be willing to take a chance on a game that's crowd funded. I've little doubt that CR's brother would have said that he could do it, and there's little reason for CR to not believe him. It's the same for most people, they hire they talent they know.. doubly so when they themselves know very little (if anything at all) on the scope of what they're attempting. There's a lot to fault CR for, but hiring his brother that did have game experience isn't one of them.. Keeping him.. now that's a whole different issue.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The simple resolution to bugfix issue is the send in all the bugfixes that they failed to send up until the point that CIG switched over to the lumberyard builds. All of those bugfixes would thus be only CIG's work product and have no strings attached to Amazon.

Several of these claims seem to simply be people not understanding what they signed, and/or not paying attention or following through with on-going business contacts to avert such a situation. Splitting of the games into 2 games seems and bugfixes seem to be perfect examples of such a thing.

The logo change is probably something that is more in line with the current direction of development with lumberyard changes, something that the dev team probably didn't realize was part of a contract.

I don't blame Crytek at all for suing. In most cases, it is the only way to get the other party to actually look into something verses the whole run-around of getting a request to the right people when going through normal business relationship channels (since the ongoing relationships was probably with the development teams who have nothing to do with legal and probably don't even know who to contact within their respective orgs).
Well said. It could well be that CIG's responsibility to deliver bug fixes ends with the adoption of Lumberyard regardless of the exact wording of the contract. I doubt Crytek would even want duplicate bug fix reports from CIG and Amazon. And I too don't blame Crytek for suing, since the ability to prevail sometimes depends on how long one tolerates a situation.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
ho ho ho. Everything is broken. No live stream. All prerecorded because none of it works.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Edited: Thought I was replying to the other SC thread. I'm banned from this one. I deleted my comment.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This shitpost belongs in the other thread at best. I mean, I know the SQ42 demo and 3.0 release have triggered some of you special snowflakes, but still, could you at least try a little?

how dare he want something for his money. snowflakes and cucks!

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
The NERVE, the pure OUTRAGE over this scam where there has been absolutely no signs of any development or progress, AT ALL. Quick Beagle, to the ScamMobile, we need to take this to the FBI! The CIA! The AG! The OG!

Remember kids, this entire thing is smoke and mirrors! In fact, I have it on good authority that the smoke and mirrors has been created by an ~500 strong international team (don't worry, they're also in on the scam!) with the sole purpose of creating Lt. Tonk. Lt. Tonk has been used to FORCE "backers"* to donate their hard earned dollars to CIG, instead of where it rightly belongs, in the hands of the expert game developer"journalist" Dr.** Dr.*** Smart!

*Note: there are no backers, just a couple of whales who keep investing millions more into this failed project
**Note, mail in certificate non-accredited
*** Yep, the other "degree" also non-accredited

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The NERVE, the pure OUTRAGE over this scam where there has been absolutely no signs of any development or progress, AT ALL. Quick Beagle, to the ScamMobile, we need to take this to the FBI! The CIA! The AG! The OG!

Remember kids, this entire thing is smoke and mirrors! In fact, I have it on good authority that the smoke and mirrors has been created by an ~500 strong international team (don't worry, they're also in on the scam!) with the sole purpose of creating Lt. Tonk. Lt. Tonk has been used to FORCE "backers"* to donate their hard earned dollars to CIG, instead of where it rightly belongs, in the hands of the expert game developer"journalist" Dr.** Dr.*** Smart!

*Note: there are no backers, just a couple of whales who keep investing millions more into this failed project
**Note, mail in certificate non-accredited
*** Yep, the other "degree" also non-accredited

what does any of that have to do with someone who spent money expecting to be able to play a game?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the main problem with star citizen in the past was anyone who had a dissenting opinion was silenced. You cheerleaders created this mess.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That's an interesting take at revisionist history :)

is it? surrounded by yes men is not the way to make great content. Its a hard job and one with lots of fights to make sure the best ideas are moving forward. When your entire fan base yells down dissenting opinions it hurts the content. Ask me how I know. Ask me.

Reactions: MaxDepth

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
That's an interesting take at revisionist history :)

The game has been polarizing since its announcement for many reasons. I had a friend give me flack back in 2012 when I just said, "It sounds great but a bit too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it and likely have money in hand on release." My only regret with Star Citizen is that I didn't use the free game code I got with a r9 290 card about 3 years ago just to be able to play it myself without spending money on it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
bootchas star citizen documentary is coming out... forward and part1 are up...

cant wait for part 2