Star Citizen Development Discussion (Is Derek Smart Right?)

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
goons and ds are warning people about this scam. DS has a lot of experience in the genre and knows limitations. Yes he is a internet warlord who is going to eventually show up in this thread but he knows what he is talking about.

The idea that you think anything can be done with a game engine shows you dont know much about game development.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I mean do you think AAA companies like EA dont make games with every feature they can think up because they are greedy? Or do you think they understand the technical limitation of hardware/software and try to balance fun features and graphics against those limitations?

While you guys are tilting at windmills things become more and more broken. Anyone who reads a bit about game design or software development will realize this.

This forum should have some software developers on it. I would like to hear what they have to say on this subject as well.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
The idea that you think anything can be done with a game engine shows you dont know much about game development.

You can do anything. I work with software developers and dabble in it myself. There's nothing one engine can do that another cannot if you want to modify it. It's simply code. The biggest limiting factory is hardware performance, and that's something no engine can get around.

Keep doing your research there, armchair developer.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We will see wont we? The proof is in the pudding as they say. Until the day this thing is birthed or folds under its own weight everyone can look at it how they want. You have a thread for dreams. This thread to for people discussing hows and why they think its all wrong.

shadragon

Dec 21, 2016
You don't have anything do you. No evidence of anything. Just your own personal beliefs and not much else.
Evidence: Kickstarter, they asked for $500,000 and got $2,134,374. Since then they have raked in over $140 million. That is 280 times the amount of money they said they would need and over two years past when they said they would have it done (Nov 2014). Totally done, by the way and not a "Minimum Viable Product"

My personal belief is no one has the playable game that was promised five years ago on Kickstarter even though it has been paid for 280 times over. The fact they are putting more ships on sale tells me they never will.

From the Star Citizen Kickstarter:

The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public. We are going to limit our alpha slots to 200,000 as we want to stress test the game with real users, but will not be ready for the full load until we have finished Beta.

The can't even get out pre-Alpha FOUR YEARS LATER. There's one star system to explore today.

Nonetheless, Chris Roberts and his teams have shown consistently that they are able to develop epic story-based games. Even with our very limited self-funding we have been able to do already a lot of work which is why we can show you not just concept art and a cinematic trailer, but an extensive demo of actual game play.

They were playing the game before the Kickstarter ended? Today, they can't even host games on their own servers without crashes and issues.

We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game.

So it's 140 million from backers PLUS additional unstated funds from other investors and they are still after more, More, MORE cash through ship sales.

I've seen all the 'evidence' I need to.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
You have a thread for dreams. This thread to for people discussing hows and why they think its all wrong.

Correction: This thread is for discussing the funding and development meta. It's not just for detractors.

The other thread is for discussing the game's content and future releases.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Correction: This thread is for discussing the funding and development meta. It's not just for detractors.

The other thread is for discussing the game's content and future releases.

Oh I dont need a safe space. All view points are welcome in my world. ;)

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
I wonder how many more newly made accounts with no post history are going to jump in and regurgitate the same garbage over and over...

Well since we already have at least one, that's more than the dev team on LoD (a great example of game development failure and why repeating the "doctor's" rants should be a warning sign for everyone). If we can get a couple more SOMETHING AWEFUL (since we can't call you by what you refer to yourselves apparently) trolls in here we'll have more people than have played his games :)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well since we already have at least one, that's more than the dev team on LoD (a great example of game development failure and why repeating the "doctor's" rants should be a warning sign for everyone). If we can get a couple more SOMETHING AWEFUL (since we can't call you by what you refer to yourselves apparently) trolls in here we'll have more people than have played his games :)

You cant say goon? Goons dont care. They know they are retarded and horrible.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
AHAHAHAHAHA You guys are funny :D

Goons is not allowed here, cause few of star citizen use that word for all people who doesn't agree with them. Actually one was banned for a month from gaming forum cause of that.

"Goons" refers to a specific group of players from EVE Online called "Goonswarm.". It is mostly made up of members from SomethingAwful.com.

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/Goonswarm_Federation/corporations
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/goonswarm-eve-online-great-war

They've somewhat allied with DS's opinion on the project. Though some still think for themselves as well.

You cant say goon? Goons dont care. They know they are retarded and horrible.

I tried to explain it to the mod, but he still felt it was used derogatorily (in context, understandably). So we'll keep from using it to prevent misunderstandings.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Im a goon. Its a great forum. Goons had more money in this game then 10 sets of anandtech forum people. Something like $550k...

One of the initial investors before crowd funding is a goon. He invested a lot. He got it back though so its all good.

and then we had the greatest thread to ever exist in gbs. We were making fun of a Alabama hotdog man, dayZ and star citizen. All in one thread. It was the ground floor. And slowly goons began to realize their folly...

get_a_refund.gif

And thats when we started to get all of the great content...

wl14RDy.jpg

Best $40 I ever spent from a entertainment to dollar ratio.

Excess anti-fanboi (which makes the OP a fanboi himself, btw) imagery excised. Zero point infraction means undeserved mercy shown to anti-fanboi fanboi thereby.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Chipopo

Dec 7, 2016
saw this chart. I think it does a good job of showing where CIG is actually at without the obfuscation and marketing spin.

evD9oy4.jpg

Reactions: JSt0rm

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
sunk cost fallacy. They have spent so much already they need to believe its good. They also want others to join them in the spending hence why they try to shut down dissenting opinions. They know they need more people to put money in so thier dreams come true and they are selling it as amazing to get them to spend. too much investment.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
sunk cost fallacy. They have spent so much already they need to believe its good. They also want others to join them in the spending hence why they try to shut down dissenting opinions. They know they need more people to put money in so thier dreams come true and they are selling it as amazing to get them to spend. too much investment.

I've been asked by plenty of friends and co-workers whether or not they should sign up - - and I've never recommended it once. My advice has always been to check out a "Free Fly" event and know the risk before spending a dime. I know a lot of other fans have done the same. A lot of SC fans exhibit far more objectivism than you have. Some of them don't.....doesn't really matter to me what people do with their money for entertainment.

I spent over 100 hours in Arena Commander alone, and had more fun this year playing it than any other game I bought. I just can't figure out why you're spending so much effort and emotional investment in trying to convince people not to like something they already enjoy. Don't you have some nice studio equipment? Isn't that a much more rewarding use of time than scouring the forums looking for an SC fan to shoot down? I just bought a Martin dread I've been tracking down forever - - I haven't even touched a video game since I got it. Now I just need to figure out how to record the thing well (all I have is an SM57 and an M-Audio interface...time for some upgrades).

Last edited: