Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 210 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Does anyone know were I can find out how big patches are before I dl them? I've looked over the release notes and checked RSIs site but I can't find it.
The reason I ask is because I switched ISPs recently and now I got a cap...:/

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Does anyone know were I can find out how big patches are before I dl them? I've looked over the release notes and checked RSIs site but I can't find it.

You could always ask here, I'm sure someone could let you know.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
^^^Good idea.

Hey guys.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
^^^Good idea.

Hey guys.
Does anyone know were I can find out how big patches are before I dl them? I've looked over the release notes and checked RSIs site but I can't find it. How big is the most recent update for SC?

ftfy

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
thanks bro. appreciate the help

xBbyHKp.png

I'm guessing roughly 25GB.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
And now for something completely different: I bought my second joystick - a Thrustmaster T.16000M.

I'm getting closer to doing the same. I was holding out waiting for the SC HOTAS to see what it might offer....but that deal is looking less and less likely to happen as described.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

The quickest way is probably to ask in the chat room on the RSI site....you'd likely get an almost immediate answer. After that, I would search the forums since there will likely be several threads complaining about the patch size from Citizens who have data caps.

A new patcher is several months away from being released, unfortunately. Right now, even if they change one line of code, they have patch the entire packet it's contained in....and that packet is like 1.2GB or something like that.

Regarding 2.3.1, I believe I've read that it's only 2+ GBs....but I haven't got around to dl'ing it yet.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I'm getting closer to doing the same. I was holding out waiting for the SC HOTAS to see what it might offer....but that deal is looking less and less likely to happen as described.

And they haven't said a word about ambi-sticks. I have no interest in using a throttle. 6DoF flight is best controlled with dual-sticks, and CIG should seriously reconsider the validity of their deal with Saitek if they can't deliver that.

Right now you can buy a pair of T16Ks for $80 and get better control than anything they're offering for 3 times the price.

Last edited:

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I am starting to get used with this dual joystick setup. Very nice to fly with it. I improvised a "pilot chair" from an armchair and two footstools on each side of it (with a joystick on top of each footstool). A more rigid setup would be better, but it works good enough.

Current bindings (after few re-arrangements/testing slightly different setups):

Right hand joystick (Thrustmaster T.16000M)
- X-axis: yaw
- Y-axis: pitch
- rotZ-axis (stick twist): nothing assigned to it
- [index finger] main trigger (button 1): boost/afterburner on double tap (got this idea from one of Stringjam's post - it works very well like this)
- [thumb] back button (button 2): brake - I find it natural to press both the main trigger and this middle/back button for boosted brake
- [thumb] left button (button 3): target closest enemy
- [thumb] right button (button 4): reticle target (target closest ship to Gun Cross)
- throttle slider: unused
- [thumb] hat switch: cockpit view left/right/up/down

Left hand joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro)
- X-axis: strafe left/right
- Y-axis: strafe forward/back
(I find it more intuitive to have all strafing on horizontal plane on X and Y axis)
- rotZ-axis (stick twist): roll
- [index finger] main trigger (button 1): fire weapon group 1
- side trigger (thumb trigger if joystick is used with right hand) (button 2): lock missile/fire missile (on hold) - this is kind of inconvenient to use with left hand
- [thumb] button 3 (lower row - left): PRE/SCM/CRU toggle
- [thumb] button 4 (lower row - right): fire weapon group 2
- [thumb] button 5 (upper row - left): Decoupled Mode toggle
- [thumb] button 6 (upper row - right): rear view
- [thumb] hat up/down: zoom in/out
- [thumb] hat left: launch countermeasure
- [thumb] hat right: cycle countermeasure (flare/chaff)
- throttle slider: throttle

Pedals (from Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP Wheel)
- left pedal: strafe up
- right pedal: strafe down

I have some keybindings made for the buttons on the bases of the joysticks (like quantum jump, landing mode), but I haven't really thought yet what would be best to assign to them.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I'm on the fence right now about waiting on the SC premium HOTAS or just picking up a X56 after reviews come out. Or maybe getting the full CH Pro setup. My X52 Pro serves me well, and I do like throttle based setups, but I also like the idea of ministicks to give me my 6DoF instead of two independent full size sticks.

I'm so pro fixed-monoboats that I don't think I'd even use the track balls on the SC designs for gimbals.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm on the fence right now about waiting on the SC premium HOTAS.

Same. I was really hoping the SC HOTAS would:

1) be developed with fan input (as promised)
2) be quality
3) be designed well

Having watched how this process has unfolded, I'm not sure any of those will happen.

I was also hoping the HOTAS would be released before persistence. Doesn't look that that'll happen either.

Once persistence comes (2.4 to begin......sure sounds like it), it'll be time (for me) to start getting a little more serious about playing SC....and getting away from keyboard/mouse (my current input) is a BIG part of that. I've already got one (almost new) T16000M waiting to go...