Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 192 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Seeing shots like this has me kinda hyped for the Reliant. It's just a Tier 2 starter ship, but it's got such a nice vibe.

Wing.jpg

Vertical.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Seeing shots like this has me kinda hyped for the Reliant. It's just a Tier 2 starter ship, but it's got such a nice vibe.

I agree. I was looking through some of the interior work in the Subscribers den...seems like a well-thought out design on the inside.

The only thing I don't like is the wingspan...wish they would shorten it up, because it just paints a HUGE target, and those long wings don't serve any purpose anyway.

NewsVanTracker_RearCabinInterior_REV2_Hobbins.png

That canopy though...awesome. If you have a friend you want to play with, this is going to be a great ship.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Ugh. So I'm giving up on the 350R until CIG works out the inventory system. No point in using it with only 2 guns and an S2 shield.

Sucks, because I love flying this thing...475 m/s with AB and closes gaps like mad, and boost strafing can easily get you inside on a Hornet. Really want to use this in BR (managed to top 3 a few times today even with 2 guns) but it's back to the M50 until I can actually get it to work in the holotable. :(

PLEASE CIG, burn that thing with fire and give us something else. IMO, that's a core mechanic and needs fixed before a whole lot of other stuff they're introducing.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
^
This is why I love PC gaming.

Detail is just sick in this game. If you get a chance, get a closeup look at the targeting sensor at the end of the Marksman....so much effort put into something most people aren't ever even going to see.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
i got some rec to spend.

what should I get for my avenger that will help me out in BR?

I like the idea of monoboating.. or at least getting weapons that have cooperative pips. and ballistics are better at this state, right? I think I like ballistics better.. but overheating is an issue. Even if I fire in small bursts, I can still overheat with the tigerstreik and lose a good opportunity to fire.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
i got some rec to spend.

what should I get for my avenger that will help me out in BR?

I like the idea of monoboating.. or at least getting weapons that have cooperative pips. and ballistics are better at this state, right? I think I like ballistics better.. but overheating is an issue. Even if I fire in small bursts, I can still overheat with the tigerstreik and lose a good opportunity to fire.

S2 Tarantulas. As many as you can get.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Ugh. So I'm giving up on the 350R until CIG works out the inventory system. No point in using it with only 2 guns and an S2 shield.

That's how I feel about the 300i right now. I can get it to load a decent repeater setup, but not being able to swap out the S2 shield for a S3 on a such a large ship doesn't do it any favors.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
S2 Tarantulas. As many as you can get.

Should I keep the tigerstreik? I barely use the gimbal. I mean.. i like it when it works right, but it always seems to get out of whack and impossible to shoot straight without fumbling to recenter it.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Should I keep the tigerstreik? I barely use the gimbal. I mean.. i like it when it works right, but it always seems to get out of whack and impossible to shoot straight without fumbling to recenter it.

I tried to load up the Avenger with 3x Tarantulas tonight and couldn't do it...nose gun just wouldn't take it. That said, you can put Tranches on the wings and the PIPs line up pretty good with the Tiger.

Man...Avenger is pretty fragile compared to what it used to be. I flew it in about 4 matches tonight....gotta keep out of fire or you're done. Seems like the shields aren't doing much right now.

Everything else about the Avenger I really like. Ship feels really good right now.

Oh...and forget gimbals. Lock it down.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I tried to load up the Avenger with 3x Tarantulas tonight and couldn't do it...nose gun just wouldn't take it. That said, you can put Tranches on the wings and the PIPs line up pretty good with the Tiger.

Man...Avenger is pretty fragile compared to what it used to be. I flew it in about 4 matches tonight....gotta keep out of fire or you're done. Seems like the shields aren't doing much right now.

Everything else about the Avenger I really like. Ship feels really good right now.

Oh...and forget gimbals. Lock it down.

I just put tarantulas on the wings and I did significantly better in BR. Could maybe get 1-2 kills per match... last match I got 8.

I don't want to spend any rec incorrectly.. can i put better missiles on? more capacity?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
That's how I feel about the 300i right now. I can get it to load a decent repeater setup, but not being able to swap out the S2 shield for a S3 on a such a large ship doesn't do it any favors.

300X is the definite red-headed step child right now. Definitely needs some love. I think this ship should be one step above the Avenger based on it's role, but post 1.3 it's taken a serious back seat.

It used to have a killer strafe, and that's why I really liked it. Plus it points really well with a stick. It still does that, but now it only takes a couple of seconds of fire and you're done.

All it needs now is a few XML tweaks and it will be where it belongs. If I could get all the guns loaded and swap the shield, this would be the only thing I would fly in BR.

I swear I saw Goloith flying the 350 with 3X Tranches firing...so I'm jelly.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I just put tarantulas on the wings and I did significantly better in BR. Could maybe get 1-2 kills per match... last match I got 8.

I don't want to spend any rec incorrectly.. can i put better missiles on? more capacity?

The only missiles I use now are Marksmen 1s. They lock instantly and they fly wicked fast.

That said, missiles are pretty worthless right now. I use them when I'm close and in a consistent move (like a circle strafe).

I could do just as well without them, so I wouldn't trip too much on missiles until they get the mechanics fixed.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Are these worth upgrading from my stock shields on the avenger?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Shield-Roms/INK-Splash-304-IS

I think Size 3 is the max. It'd help if I died a little less often =)

I was hoping I could increase my missile capacity, but it doesn't look like any of the quad racks fit my avenger.

Trying to decide what missiles to get.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Marksman-I

I like the looks of these:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Rattler-II

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Are these worth upgrading from my stock shields on the avenger?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Shield-Roms/INK-Splash-304-IS

I think Size 3 is the max. It'd help if I died a little less often =)

I was hoping I could increase my missile capacity, but it doesn't look like any of the quad racks fit my avenger.

Trying to decide what missiles to get.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Marksman-I

I like the looks of these:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Rattler-II

Splashes are definitely better than the Marks right now.

I have Rattlers...they don't work. They probably will at some point, but right now you're better off with the Marksmens. Tempest IIs used to be the OP missile of choice (things would do a 90 and track targets...they 'supposedly' lock on ship cross-sections), but not anymore. Missiles, IMO, are only good for close range DPS when the other ship is locked into a consistent move. I can't get them to land any other way.

Sparks have the highest DPS, but good luck getting them to land on anything. They're dumbfire, but for some reason they require a lock (?)

I spent a bunch of UEC for Dominators and they just spin off into space and do nothing right now (except spewing pretty purple trails...I shoot them just to watch that ;) ). They're supposed to be the sticky missiles that track advanced maneuvers. All subject to change.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Tarantulas are a game changer. I could barely get any kills before.

First BR match with most kills, still got 2nd. :/

g3FQH5X.jpg

Feb 4, 2009
I've added the previous logo to the Ballers page, so we show up as a respectable Org. I also added below as an icon but I have no idea when that icon is seen.

AJYnkNN.jpg

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Tarantulas are a game changer. I could barely get any kills before.

First BR match with most kills, still got 2nd. :/

g3FQH5X.jpg

Very nice!!

I would expect them to get a nerf at some point. Right now they have a higher DPS than a lot of S3 guns (I believe even more than the S3 Tarantulas...which makes me think it might have been a mistake that just hasn't been fixed yet).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I've added the previous logo to the Ballers page, so we show up as a respectable Org. I also added below as an icon but I have no idea when that icon is seen.

AJYnkNN.jpg

That icon is what is seen in the forums and when you click on "My RSI".

The other (AT) icon is what is seen when you go to our org page.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When does this game come out?

They are trying for this year for "Squadron 42". The persistent universe "Star Citizen" is expected to be several months after Squadron 42's release, I would venture to guess within 6-8 months at most afterwards. I think we will really know more within the next 3-4 months how things really stand. There are only a couple more pieces of the technology puzzle that have not been shown to end users in the alpha (game economy, large battle player instancing switching, ship - planet/atmosphere interaction are the main pieces). Once the technology back-end is complete on them, putting together the rest of the game with those pieces should move relatively quickly.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011

I wonder if it might make more sense to just resize the AT logo. The only places where this are seen are tiny 24x24 pixel images, so you can't really tell what is in that image.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
With default keyboard configuration Ctrl+C is the toggle for Relative Mouse Mode and RightAlt+M is the toggle for Look Ahead Mode.

Are those modes mutually exclusive or they are additive?

Since there is no visual confirmation on HUD, this aspect is not clear to me and I could not find a proper explanation. And just from starship behavior I can not tell for sure.

When playing with keyboard and mouse:

1. - Without toggling anything you fly in Look Ahead Mode (so that would be the Default Mode). True/False?

2. - Starting from Default Mode, if you press Ctrl+C you switch into Relative Mouse Mode. True/False?

3. - Starting from Default Mode, if you press RightAlt+M you disable Look Ahead Mode. True/False?

4. - Starting from Default Mode, if you press RightAlt+M and after that you press Ctrl+C then you switch into Relative Mouse Mode or into some kind of combined mode?

5. - Same question for starting in Default Mode then Ctrl+C and then RightAlt+M. What mode are you in now?