Star Citizen: Chris Robert`s new space sim (the Wing Commander guy)

Page 143 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Interested to hear your take on it. Definitely a lot of changes. Some very good; some very bad.

I tried it for a bit. Overall, I like where it's going. My play test was limited due to not being able to get my X52 Pro recognized well. I played with *shudder* mouse and k/b. The flight mechanics feel good and the weapon changes are nice, IMO. On a side note, mouse & k/b feels less OP to me in VS.

The first thing I noticed, though, is that my Tali is gone from my hangar. Still have a totally open spot for it though in the center of the hangar, just no ship. :confused:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I tried it for a bit. Overall, I like where it's going. My play test was limited due to not being able to get my X52 Pro recognized well. I played with *shudder* mouse and k/b. The flight mechanics feel good and the weapon changes are nice, IMO. On a side note, mouse & k/b feels less OP to me in VS.

The first thing I noticed, though, is that my Tali is gone from my hangar. Still have a totally open spot for it though in the center of the hangar, just no ship. :confused:

I've heard a few other X52 users having that problem. :(

I finally got into BR tonight. I can definitely tell ship health and shields have increased. TTK is way longer, and I can actually fly my Gladius now. :awe:

With the smoother rotation in this patch, I think it may end up being my favorite dogfighter so far (well, until they fix the 350R, and then I may have to change my mind again).

Scorpion / Tarantula x2 pairs up pretty well and the PIPs aren't too bad.

I wish they wouldn't re-stock missiles during the match, though. I feel like they should rename this module "Missile Evader."

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
What is PTU?

Public Test Universe. It's another set of servers they use as a test environment for large patches before rolling it to the LIVE servers.

There is an option in your launcher (under the cog) to change to the PTU.

Since these are the first-line of public testing, they're typically pretty buggy and get frequent (sometimes multiple in a day) patches.

For example, about a half dozen times after I've spawned in my hangar I've fallen through the floor and had a near death experience....

sun.jpg

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the explanation man. Much appreciated. I don't think PTU is for me but it's cool that you guys are testing it out for the rest of us.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Tried the Ghost tonight for the first time in PTU BR. I can see why so many people use Hornets - when you get guns on target they really lay on the damage. Came in 2nd place my very first game using 3x Panthers. I don't even have a ball turret...a lot of guys are mounting the new S4 Combine driver up there, which sounds awfully cool to hear firing (not so cool to get hit by).

Just not very fun to fly. They're slow and slide horribly. I died 4 times in one game from slamming into asteroids. :oops:

I'd rather fight with this, but it just doesn't have the firepower (but it looks cool with S2 Sawbucks).

sawbuck2.jpg

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Other notes about PTU 1.3:

• Citizen Kart is pretty hilarious.
  • My Avenger is even more bugged in the hangar than 1.2. I know it's getting a variants pass and rework, but it shouldn't be getting worse until then.
  • The Connie has reverted back to a slightly older model in the hangar. Fixes some things and breaks others. Also has the original P-52 Merlin model in the snub dock with the new one still out in front.
  • Don't sit in any ships in the hangar! You can't get back up...
  • Still enjoying the flight model changes. Would be nice to get my X52 working, though. Saw a few potential workarounds and will try them later.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Sabre, for getting out of ships. You're hitting ctrl+f right? Think they changed the binding.

That was for the very brief period of time that you could disembark ships in flight in AC. They removed that since. This was in the hangar, BTW. And, yes I tried. :$

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You need to boost through corners with the hornet, takes a little getting used to :)

You're definitely right about that...I'm glad it has plenty of boost fuel.

It also seems to vertical strafe a lot better than horizontal, which is fine with me because I prefer vertical.

It is really easy to aim and keep PIP on target, especially in a strafe. Now I understand why I pretty much always lose a strafe war with a Hornet. ;)

I think I'm going to keep it, even though its not my kind of ship. I think it would make a great stealth recon ship to carry around in the Endeavor landing bay - and can also lay down serious fire if the ship comes under attack.

That was for the very brief period of time that you could disembark ships in flight in AC. They removed that since. This was in the hangar, BTW. And, yes I tried. :$

I've had the same issue.

I also can't get into the Social Module (CTD every time).

Last edited:

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I also can't get into the Social Module (CTD every time).

Keep trying. I don't think the buggies will stay in ArcCorp long term, but they're worth experiencing while they're there. Hilarity can ensue, especially if you go for a ride with somebody. ;)

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Sabrewings. I blame you for this.

connie2.jpg

connie.jpg

Noice!
mb_bananacha.gif~original

You'll enjoy it. She's a beautiful ship, and the updated versions are due to be out soon. I think the Andromeda is happening first with variants to follow, not sure how that works out for us with variants on baby PU.

In other news, I bought a second Sabre.
mb_spend.gif~original
The plan is to CCU it into something else for the LTI on the anniversary sale. I'm also debating melting my Connie package and buying one, then CCU'ing back to a Connie, but I really like my Connie game package and can't see a way to have it plus LTI on the Connie. Probably not worth the effort there.

I also had a blast on 1.2 BR last night in the Merlin. For some weird reason I saw an unusual amount of Cutlasses out. With the Merlin, it was like they were standing still and I just strafed around them in circles.
smiley_abvr.gif~original

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
You need to boost through corners with the hornet, takes a little getting used to :)

I use comstab + boost when necessary.

ughh..need to decide today if i'm buying a sabre...

I also have two LTI HULL A for CCU use down the line

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Noice!
mb_bananacha.gif~original

You'll enjoy it. She's a beautiful ship, and the updated versions are due to be out soon. I think the Andromeda is happening first with variants to follow, not sure how that works out for us with variants on baby PU.

In other news, I bought a second Sabre.
mb_spend.gif~original
The plan is to CCU it into something else for the LTI on the anniversary sale. I'm also debating melting my Connie package and buying one, then CCU'ing back to a Connie, but I really like my Connie game package and can't see a way to have it plus LTI on the Connie. Probably not worth the effort there.

I also had a blast on 1.2 BR last night in the Merlin. For some weird reason I saw an unusual amount of Cutlasses out. With the Merlin, it was like they were standing still and I just strafed around them in circles.
smiley_abvr.gif~original

Noice!
mb_bananacha.gif%7Eoriginal

smiley_abvr.gif%7Eoriginal

LOL....I've seen you Merlin guys do that - it's fun to watch. :)

I feel a bit sorry for the Cutlass guys after trying one out thanks to the free-fly week. Those really do handle terribly. I've heard in the 1.3 patch they've been improved quite a bit though.

I think even if I end up with an Endeavor (or Carrack, which I'm anxious to see hangar ready), I think I will keep the Aquila. I have a feeling if those big ships get taken out, the insurance replacement on them might take a little while, so it will be a good backup ship to have to keep my exploration on.

Plus Merlin. :D Maybe one day I can hire you to "agent Smith" into my NPC crew to take some people out with that thing if I get into a jam.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You know, I wonder if the Sabre is really the F-8 Lightning that was briefly hinted at months back (flashed up on the website and then pulled).

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Plus Merlin. :D Maybe one day I can hire you to "agent Smith" into my NPC crew to take some people out with that thing if I get into a jam.

I will happily take up that sword for you. The Merlin is becoming my favorite single seater. In anticipation of the PU and situations I'm likely to run into, I've been picking fights with Hornets and Gladiusi in particular to practice. I think I've gotten down the timing with each of their respective turning abilities to be on top of them with my guns and strafing out of their firing arc.

What I have trouble with is Avengers. They're more unpredictable and harder to keep a good bead on in such a zippy ship.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
You know, I wonder if the Sabre is really the F-8 Lightning that was briefly hinted at months back (flashed up on the website and then pulled).

I believe the F8 Lighting is an Anvil, and is a larger 2-seater with some mega-firepower and heavy armor. It also had a pair of big torpedoes. Sort of like a mini-Vanguard.

Not really a lot of info on it except for stuff people managed to nab stuff while it was up.

The Sabre is going to be interesting, as it is being billed as a stealth fighter with light armor but strong shields (in other words, when the shields go down...RUN). It supposedly has better stealth capability than the Hornet Ghost, and handles like a slightly heavier Gladius (and if it handles anything like a Gladius, I'll do a Carlton dance).

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I will happily take up that sword for you. The Merlin is becoming my favorite single seater. In anticipation of the PU and situations I'm likely to run into, I've been picking fights with Hornets and Gladiusi in particular to practice. I think I've gotten down the timing with each of their respective turning abilities to be on top of them with my guns and strafing out of their firing arc.

What I have trouble with is Avengers. They're more unpredictable and harder to keep a good bead on in such a zippy ship.

It's so much fun to fly, and I love the 2D radar. Wish I could get that in my other ships. What are you loading on the wings?

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
It's so much fun to fly, and I love the 2D radar. Wish I could get that in my other ships. What are you loading on the wings?

Just the ones that it came with. Limited to S2 IIRC. Love the 2D radar too; easy to read.

The Sabre will be an interesting ship indeed. Being more stealthy than a Ghost is an intriguing prospect. I had one sneak up on me last night and take me out. By the time it registered on my radar and I noticed it I was already shot up.

An even more stealthy Sabre in the hands of a skilled pilot is a dangerous proposition.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Cool. Going to try to get into the social module after the download. I probably tried 20 times and CTD'd every time. Hopefully the buggies are still in there.

Edit: Gah. ~20GB "patch." They keep using that word...

Try disabling SLI. I saw a bug in the issue council that said having SLI enabled will crash going into ArcCorp.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
So, I've seen some fleet org composition backgrounds/charts/whatever, and I was thinking of making one for AT Ballers. If you're interested in participating and part of AT Ballers, please list all the ships you currently own. I will create a listing and keep it updated. They won't be arranged by owner, but by ship type to show our communal ownership.

I'll start here, I guess.

Sabrewings:
Constellation Aquila
Retaliator
Avenger
Sabre x2
Greycat

Stringjam:
Constellation Aquila
315p
350R
M50