Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Yeah, I'd say 16 maximum, I heard 15 from one quarter.

Afaik, 15 is already really high given GCNs scaling at higher core counts per Shader, I was personally expecting 13-14 max with mobile retail skus having 12 enabled.

Though I'm basing it off that old product master list that is almost certainly out of date. I mean, it listed 16 core Threadrippers, which were scrapped once EPYC started flying off the shelves and they didn't have the dies to throw at a useless sku any more.

Richie Rich

Jul 28, 2019
AMD Mark Papermaster actually didn't reject SMT4 for any upcoming product. This is a bit strange because he could do that and stop all speculations about SMT4 (unhelthy for stock market) and just confirm SMT2 from that leaked presentation. However he did not. Maybe he couldn't do that because Zen3 will support both SMT2 and SMT4.

• Love
Reactions: amd6502

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Glad to hear the rumor about Vega is likely false. Does the 16kB of L2 refer to the GPU cache (it surely must right)?

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
I don't see any problem if it's still Vega instead of RDNA, I think Vega is actually a very good architecture and is very power efficient, for example Vega 56 mobile is 120 Watts for the all card, the Vega M GL is 65 Watts, Nvidia for example have many 120 Watts and more and just for the chip.
I think I'm the only one and maybe Moore's Law Is Dead that likes it.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
AMD Mark Papermaster actually didn't reject SMT4 for any upcoming product. This is a bit strange because he could do that and stop all speculations about SMT4 (unhelthy for stock market) and just confirm SMT2 from that leaked presentation. However he did not. Maybe he couldn't do that because Zen3 will support both SMT2 and SMT4.

And if he had flat out denied it, you would be saying it's because its some big AMD secret, just like the AMD employee who made that slide did.

Speculation is fun. But when all the evidence points one way, you might want to think about changing your mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: soresu and scannall

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
And if he had flat out denied it, you would be saying it's because its some big AMD secret, just like the AMD employee who made that slide did.

Speculation is fun. But when all the evidence points one way, you might want to think about changing your mind.

Evidence has been recently proven to be ineffective for mind changing. Here in this forum and farther out.

Since it's speculation until the final product evidence is released and changes no minds, I'm going on the speculative record with SMT3. The boring power of 2 dominance in this industry needs the odd shakeup. And Zen 3 is perfectly named for the task.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
In situations like this you DO NOT confirm ANYTHING.
Why would anyone do this, so ahead of time and "help" his competition?
He just used his liberty to muse about the state of the market and the many possibilities available.

Reactions: soresu

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Speculation aside, what the heck is the fascination with SMT4? Because it really hasn't been done before (or at all in x86-land)? If AMD saw a reason for it, I'm sure they'd be working on it. With the massive amount of real cores available these days, I really question how much doubling threads would help outside of very specific use cases.

Reactions: scannall

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014

In situations like this you DO NOT confirm ANYTHING.
Why would anyone do this, so ahead of time and "help" his competition?
He just used his liberty to muse about the state of the market and the many possibilities available.
Papermaster was fairly ambiguous on the subject touching on both hardware and software viability of the concept, though he seemed to be leaning towards it being of limited application at the current time in the software market.

The entire talk was geared towards cores more than threads, as is Zen itself so far.

Even with just SMT4, they've already reached a thread count per socket that is 32x that of the PD CMT based Vishera's in early 2017, even without SMT4 the thread count will increase anyway, at worst every 2 years by current Epyc generation cadence.

What's more is AMD is already giving the customers what they want, admitted by Intel's own employees recently - I don't think they are in danger of new customers straying from Epyc any time soon.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

Something something broken clock I guess.

Some people don't watch long YT videos especially when they don't know what they're looking for. Especially when there is a print version that is much easier to navigate.

Also, I don't think anyone ruled out SMT4 forever, but certainly won't be in Zen 3. That's exactly what this guys sources said. No SMT4 in Zen 3.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Yep. 17% IPC overall and no SMT4 for Zen 3. Also no real clock bumps for Ryzen 4000 series.

Hence the broken clock comment. The guy finally gets to get something that's not the Radeon VII right.

Good on him.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Yep. 17% IPC overall and no SMT4 for Zen 3. Also no real clock bumps for Ryzen 4000 series.

Hence the broken clock comment. The guy finally gets to get something that's not the Radeon VII right.

Good on him.

I didn't know what you meant about the broken clock thing, so I'm sure there were others. The 17% IPC may be a bit high, but would be great if true.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Some people don't watch long YT videos especially when they don't know what they're looking for. Especially when there is a print version that is much easier to navigate.

Also, I don't think anyone ruled out SMT4 forever, but certainly won't be in Zen 3. That's exactly what this guys sources said. No SMT4 in Zen 3.
To be fair that guy has a very strange way of talking - like a British English accent but extremely deep with terrible pronunciation of basically everything.

It's so bad that at points I'm fairly sure he's trolling the audience for kicks or channel 'uniqueness' factor.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
A bit radom, but... many people used to criticize AdoredTV for his speculations, but since "his rise" I noticed the birth of a few new channels that are just about rumors and hype. All milking this current AMD moment.
And I don't see people bashing them from riding in the wave AdoredTV created.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
A bit radom, but... many people used to criticize AdoredTV for his speculations, but since "his rise" I noticed the birth of a few new channels that are just about rumors and hype. All milking this current AMD moment.
And I don't see people bashing them from riding in the wave AdoredTV created.

That describes 90% of youtube.

Have you seen videos on youtube where it has a very fancy title or the thumbnail has a big bright colored arrow pointing at something ambiguous?

Extremely click-baity and misleading but based on viewer count it at least attracts people to click on it.

Most of those videos talking about CPUs are what I'd call a "technical fanfiction". It seems to have a bearing with reality, but if you watched the semi space for a few years, you'd know its just outside of the bounds of being realistic. Since people are imagining things because they enjoy doing it, no amount of explanations will stop them from doing so.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Because anyone who guesses SMT4 and proves to be correct gets to feel smarter than everyone else while also being unconventional.

Yup, that was about my line of thinking. Then if they turn out to be right, they can pretend to have inside knowledge or sources. All us plebs would give any such person all kinds of attention and possibly respect that they crave.