Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 133 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
As a matter of fact, AMD showed SMT2 in the presentation. The trick is that SMT4 core can be switched into SMT2 mode too, so that presentation was correct. AMD never said Zen3 has no SMT4. Prove me wrong and find any official denial of SMT4 by AMD.

Tachyum Prodigy is resurecting code-morphing Transmeta-like core. What if Zen3 uses code-morphing too? Maybe K12 was not canceled but rather merged with Zen3. So Zen3 will be able to run x86 code as well as ARM binaries. And support both AVX and SVE2 SIMD. AMD could gain from ARM's new features and faster development (better ISA ARMv9, 6xALUs, 2048-bit SVE2 FPU) while keeping x86 backward compatibility. That would be pretty smart move.

I have proven you wrong before. There will be no SMT4 in Zen 3. You are a fool to believe otherwise.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Richie, your theory about Zen3 and K12 being related is - as it so happens - wrong. You're not far off from a similar truth however, but you're too fixated on Zen 3 and you're not thinking logically as to what would actually be closest to K12.

And for the record, K12 is very definitely canned. Resurrectable if needed in the future, but for now canned. Honestly, if AMD actually do resurrect it and bring it up to speed with the 2020s, it would be REALLY interesting.

But for now, it's dead.

As for SMT4, can we please stop beating the poor, poor dead horse?

Richie Rich

Jul 28, 2019
You've proven that SMT4 Zen3 will have SMT2 mode too. Nothing else as far as I remember. Even Mark Papermaster at interview didn't deny SMT4 when redactor asked direct question about Zen3 and SMT4. I wonder why he didn't say "there is no SMT4 in Zen3 as you saw in the presentation slide back in August 19". He could say that without any damage but he didn't. He let the SMT4 possibility open for some reason....

Some people are fighting against such a cool feature as SMT4 so hard that it looks like they are AMD employees trying to keep it secret until Zen3's launch day :D

BTW: The K12 and Zen3 code-morphing core was meant as joke/wild speculation even it would be possible in theory. These days it's pretty hard to encourage people to turn on and use the most powerfull graphic card on the world - human imagination. It looks like everybody would be happy with 4xALU, SMT2 CPU and 3% yearly IPC increase forever. No wonder a lot of people has such a hard time with Apple's 6xALU monster core like A13. We'll se in two months if Zen3 is SMT4 or not ;)

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
You've proven that SMT4 Zen3 will have SMT2 mode too. Nothing else as far as I remember. Even Mark Papermaster at interview didn't deny SMT4 when redactor asked direct question about Zen3 and SMT4. I wonder why he didn't say "there is no SMT4 in Zen3 as you saw in the presentation slide back in August 19". He could say that without any damage but he didn't. He let the SMT4 possibility open for some reason....

Some people are fighting against such a cool feature as SMT4 so hard that it looks like they are AMD employees trying to keep it secret until Zen3's launch day :D

BTW: The K12 and Zen3 code-morphing core was meant as joke/wild speculation even it would be possible in theory. These days it's pretty hard to encourage people to turn on and use the most powerfull graphic card on the world - human imagination. It looks like everybody would be happy with 4xALU, SMT2 CPU and 3% yearly IPC increase forever. No wonder a lot of people has such a hard time with Apple's 6xALU monster core like A13. We'll se in two months if Zen3 is SMT4 or not ;)

You are being foolish. There is no SMT4. I have given you proof. Yet you still run your mouth. Shut up and wait for it to come out. Keeping it a secret? What a joke! 6 ALU's, shut up. You don't think Intel or AMD could come up with a 6 ALU design? Yes, we will soon see if Zen 3 has SMT4 or not. When you are proven wrong, will take a slice of humble pie?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adonisds and Tlh97

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
At this point Zen3 SMT4 discussion resembles something of a theological debate. But in this case we'll see the truth in a few months so I'm not sure it's worth continuing the subject.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
LOL, SMT-4 rumour is indeed alive... From Latest Momomo_us leak

O1CN01ERGFnv1XDfBU3rCBT_!!2543522890.png

• Wow
Reactions: Richie Rich

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Edit: No zen4? Two zen3 releases?
Yes, no Zen 4... this back up the wierd "zen3+" rumour...
Also, There is a (Max core/threads) in the left corner now... maybe only some Milan server will have smt-4

Genoa seems like a fast upgrade, a have a new IO die, SMT-4... time to market maybe?

Richie Rich

Jul 28, 2019
When Zen3 will not have SMT4 I will say: "OK. I was wrong, you we right. But it's a missed opportunity to be more advanced over Intel."

Especially funny if Golden Cove in Alder Lake next year will bring SMT4. I bet all AMD fans will turn suddenly 180° and will call for SMT4 ASAP :)

I don't understand why some people are risking brain stroke always when I mention SMT4. Just for different opinion? That's silly. OTOH I understand 6xALU brain stroke. It's pretty embarrassing that powerfull desktop CPUs have only 4xALU. I hope Zen3 will change that and will have 6xALU back end.

Reactions: amd6502

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
When Zen3 will not have SMT4 I will say: "OK. I was wrong, you we right. But it's a missed opportunity to be more advanced over Intel."

Especially funny if Golden Cove in Alder Lake next year will bring SMT4. I bet all AMD fans will turn suddenly 180° and will call for SMT4 ASAP :)

I don't understand why some people are risking brain stroke always when I mention SMT4. Just for different opinion? That's silly. OTOH I understand 6xALU brain stroke. It's pretty embarrassing that powerfull desktop CPUs have only 4xALU. I hope Zen3 will change that and will have 6xALU back end.

I guess I'll have a stroke then. You are wrong and you should know it. Good news is when Zen 3 comes out I will not have a stroke. Bad news for you is you will have to eat a can of cat food ;). And what is with your ALU dick measuring?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

dr1337

May 25, 2020
LOL, SMT-4 rumour is indeed alive... From Latest Momomo_us leak

O1CN01ERGFnv1XDfBU3rCBT_!!2543522890.png

This is a glaringly obvious photoshop/recolor of the HPC slide that was released last year, the biggest giveaway is that genoa is still in definition despite this slide being almost a year newer.

HPCslidesmt2.jpg

Also I checked momomo's twitter and haven't seen this new slide anywhere, and reverse image search also comes up with nothing. And its very much unlike AMD to ever re-use marketing materials in such an obvious way. And the little text at the bottom that says "NDA required" to me just is screaming Obvious Troll.

Feel free to source/prove me wrong otherwise but the "new" SMT4 slide is a fresh hot fake

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
This is a glaringly obvious photoshop/recolor of the HPC slide that was released last year, the biggest giveaway is that genoa is still in definition despite this slide being almost a year newer.

View attachment 24282

Also I checked momomo's twitter and haven't seen this new slide anywhere, and reverse image search also comes up with nothing. And its very much unlike AMD to ever re-use marketing materials in such an obvious way. And the little text at the bottom that says "NDA required" to me just is screaming Obvious Troll.

Feel free to source/prove me wrong otherwise but the "new" SMT4 slide is a fresh hot fake

Reactions: dr1337 and amd6502

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
It's real slide. It's from 2018Q4. That roadmap has been in existence since before.
even before the current roadmap was released at HPC AI Advisory Counsil's 2019 UK Conference.
It is old and different from the current roadmap, but it is not a fake.
Oh, I'd heard about SMT4 being on the roadmap before, but I didn't realise this was an actual slide from AMD. Huh, good to know.

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
Oh, I'd heard about SMT4 being on the roadmap before, but I didn't realise this was an actual slide from AMD. Huh, good to know.

Makes a lot of sense because it's also called Zen4.

On the same slide, https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/169721066/O1CN01ERGFnv1XDfBU3rCBT_!!2543522890.png we can see that 64/2X for Zen3/Milan has a superscript *.

I couldn't locate on slide what this meant. But maybe it might be possible that there is some 4-way multithreading mode also available, besides the standard SMT2.

Reactions: Richie Rich

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
I suspect that Zen4 to Zen3 is what Zen2 to Zen1(+) was. Double the AVX/cache/ L/S badnwidth, increase the thread count (maybe canned for now, who knows), general IPC +15%, shrink to 5nm. There is a Zen3+ in between for APUs on 5nm as a test vehicle as well. Epic clash ahead in 2022!

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
Weird way for represent SMT, 2X and 4X instead of 64/128 and 64/256?
Otherwise the legend would say logical instead of threads?

Richie Rich

Jul 28, 2019
Who will eat cat food now about SMT4? :D :D :D Where is @Thunder 57 with all those strong words? He suddenly disappeared. Perhaps he went to Wallmart to buy some cat food cans....

I told you that SMT4 is on their technology map and it's just a matter of time which core will bring it. And server grade Zen3 with its completely new uarch is god damn good opportunity. And Golden Cove too to be honest.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
I told you that SMT4 is on their technology map and it's just a matter of time which core will bring it. And server grade Zen3 with its completely new uarch is god damn good opportunity. And Golden Cove too to be honest.

Typical BS aside, for example ProcessLasso ( a great tool to deal with Windows Scheduling with >64 logical cpu systems ) latest changelog:

contains this bit:
(11) Core: Support x-way SMT (>2 logical processors per core), for future processors

It might be completely random future looking change, but it might be these guys getting wind from certain vendors about future products or even having such systems in-house.

Richie Rich

Jul 28, 2019
Typical BS aside, for example ProcessLasso ( a great tool to deal with Windows Scheduling with >64 logical cpu systems ) latest changelog:
It might be completely random future looking change, but it might be these guys getting wind from certain vendors about future products or even having such systems in-house.
I'm the only one who was telling SMT4 might be part of Zen3 since leaked it's new 19h family and it's completelly new uarch (Norrod from AMD). Me and Nosta was telling that Zen1 & Zen2 is just hybrid of Apple's A7 Cyclone and BD as a temporary survival CPU mixture done by Keller (who came from Apple). And that Zen3 is Keller's finally finished Alpha EV8 with SMT4 (Keller is ex-DEC/Alpha engineer) and developed in parallel with Zen2. Maybe you should read entire thread first.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
imho, AMD will be killing off SMT rather than increasing it.

=> Kill SMT
=> Switch to double FE + 1C/1T L0i.

Zen3 will launch with "SMT2" but I have been hearing it is actually a VMT2 implementation w/ ST mode being best overall perf/watt.
Zen4 will then drop multithreading on a single core and push for double piped front-end and an improved singlethreaded pure-L0i(no switching between op-cache and L0i).

There might be introductions with something as a Sub-CCX where the L2 is shared between multiple cores. Thus, reducing inter-core latency to the faster L2 from L3 cache.

For example, far down the road =>
16-core/16-thread CCX w/ 64 MB L3 (Local 16 MB blocks of 4 MB per sub-CCX)
4x 4-core/4-thread Sub-CCX w/ 4 MB L2 unified (Local 2 MB blocks of 512 KB and To-CCX 2 MB blocks of 512 KB)
Zen_[blank] core -> 512 KB L2 block -> 512 KB L2 block -> 4 MB block -> 4 MB block -> I/O Fabric

AMD's general trend for the Zen-lineage is the smaller core that improves IPC and EPI is preferred over going bigger >6-wide, SMT4/SMT8, longer SIMDs(512-bit units/256-bit units) which isn't preferred.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick and krumme