Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 213 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Now the interesting information would whether 3100 and/or 3300X use both (2* 2c/8MB) or just one (1* 4c/16MB) CCX on the CCD.

I can already imagine AMD sitting on a warehouse of their "defect" chiplets regularly brainstorming what further products are doable with them. :D

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I think it was said that it used a single CCX somewhere,

in any case, it looks quite good for $99 I think.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
No, as far it is very cheep to produce(it is) as low end 6/12 CPU.It is very hilariously, that we can even think about it as low end CPU.

Ryzen 3 3300X, now we can remember AdoredTV Ryzen 3000 leak from December 2018.Naming is corect, so this CPU is planed long time ago. OK it is not 6/12 CPU( 100$ for that kind of CPU was a completely unrealistic price), but hey naming is the same or the leak was accurate.

I think the problem with the original Adored links were that it was possible sku's across the whole range that AMD could use as market dictates. Hell for all we know AMD thought of using this sku for a cheaper 6c CPU depending on Intel's offering and pricing. But they almost never release a stack all at once and we shouldn't have discredited products just because they didn't launch when Ryzen 3k launched.

Though the biggest issue with it was always the APU products. Very few of them were reasonable compared to not only what we know then but what we know of Matisse and Renoir now.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
From AT

Since Zen+ like 3400G (I tried it and it worked ) works on X570 I think it will be OK.
I bought a 3400G to sit on my X570 board while waiting for my 3900X for a month to arrive :). I even stick in a Graphics card RX5700XT

Although a B450 or even B550 might be better value for money in this case.

View attachment 19958

But 3400G has 20 PCIe lanes though compared to 16 of Renoir ... :nomouth:

Bolded part is the main reason of my post. Renoir is very focused on mobile, and there is no reason why not to when AMD finally has a really good mobile chip which will sell in large numbers. They don't need the design cost to be amortized across desktop APU and laptop part as laptop sales will suffice.
I still believe we will get a version of single die APU for desktop on 7nm, most likely the bigger brother of Renoir, Cezanne.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
So definitely not Renoir! I'm intrigued. They're selling an 8c die + I/O die for $100? Bold move AMD, bold move. Those are going to be low-margin parts.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
So definitely not Renoir! I'm intrigued. They're selling an 8c die + I/O die for $100? Bold move AMD, bold move. Those are going to be low-margin parts.

I guess the majority of these will be salvaged parts, the die has been for sale since July in other products, so they probably have a big stock of parts not working for the other SKU's.
So this might good profit for AMD actually.

I also guess this is the reason they introduce it so late, otherwise they wouldn't have enough salvaged parts for the estimated demand.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@teejee

It's going to come down to how much extra AMD is having to pay for the I/O dice in those chips. If AMD already had them on hand for some reason, there's no extra cost involved. Products like the R3 1200 were pure profit assuming they were failed Summit Ridge dice that couldn't be sold as proper 6c or 8c products. Matisse is different.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's going to come down to how much extra AMD is having to pay for the I/O dice in those chips. If AMD already had them on hand for some reason, there's no extra cost involved.
I guess that depends on how close AMD is to fulfilling the WSA. There is a chance they ordered a big bulk of the consumer IOD since those are going into all current gen consumer chips as well as chipsets anyway. And seeing how long the previous gens are being supported there's no real danger there's no use for them should they not be used right away.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
@teejee

It's going to come down to how much extra AMD is having to pay for the I/O dice in those chips. If AMD already had them on hand for some reason, there's no extra cost involved. Products like the R3 1200 were pure profit assuming they were failed Summit Ridge dice that couldn't be sold as proper 6c or 8c products. Matisse is different.

Couldn't they use salvaged IO dies as well? I assume a 4 core CPU doesn't need a full IO die.

Reactions: lightmanek

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Couldn't they use salvaged IO dies as well? I assume a 4 core CPU doesn't need a full IO die.
That I don't know. If it offers all the PCIe lanes of a full chip, then probably not.

I'd guess it could be either

It could be defective, since it wouldn't need interchiplet interconnect and if it's truly a 1 CCX unit, wouldn't need CCX-IOD-CCX comms either. There could be many defective IOD I suppose, even if defect rate is 5% at GF for IOD, those 5% would have to be defective in a very specific place to be usable for these cases...

However, it could just be the case that the IOD is super cheap, since they're using larger and more mature process for IOD. As a result, I doubt 1) they cost very much and 2) they're likely to have many defects anyway.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
However, it could just be the case that the IOD is super cheap, since they're using larger and more mature process for IOD. As a result, I doubt 1) they cost very much and 2) they're likely to have many defects anyway.

The other possibility is that AMD chose to order I/O dice in bulk to fulfill some part of the WSA and that they've got uh, leftovers.

Reactions: Thibsie

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
My impression is the two are the same, Raven2 was the internal name leaked through driver sources, Dali is the official name AMD used for it in the public (so late that I expected it to be something different).
Raven2 is the die name. Dali family name just like Banded Kestrel and Picasso family.
Zeppelin was the die name for Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge CPU family.
The reason it calls Raven2 is it is the second Zen based APU die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thibsie

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
From AT

Since Zen+ like 3400G (I tried it and it worked ) works on X570 I think it will be OK.
I bought a 3400G to sit on my X570 board while waiting for my 3900X for a month to arrive :). I even stick in a Graphics card RX5700XT

Although a B450 or even B550 might be better value for money in this case.

View attachment 19958

But 3400G has 20 PCIe lanes though compared to 16 of Renoir ... :nomouth:
3400G has 16 PCI-e lane just like 2400G. 8 for main slot+ 4 for M.2 + 4 for chipset.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The other possibility is that AMD chose to order I/O dice in bulk to fulfill some part of the WSA and that they've got uh, leftovers.
Well the I/O die is the same thing as an x570 chipset, so it might also be that with the coming B550 they expect the need for those to lessen.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Raven2 is the die name. Dali family name just like Banded Kestrel and Picasso family.
Zeppelin was the die name for Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge CPU family.
The reason it calls Raven2 is it is the second Zen based APU die.
Do you happen to know the names of the CCD as well as the two IODs?

I guess that depends on how close AMD is to fulfilling the WSA. There is a chance they ordered a big bulk of the consumer IOD since those are going into all current gen consumer chips as well as chipsets anyway.
Well the I/O die is the same thing as an x570 chipset, so it might also be that with the coming B550 they expect the need for those to lessen.
Am I on your ignore lists or what's up? :D

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
CCD's dont have code name, Chip has. There is currently one Zen2 based APU, so the chip and product family called Renoir.
Well, they are all dies, like Zeppelin is one. Matisse just happens to consist of multiple dies, one of which is even reused as the chipset. I find it awkward that there's no name for the CCD as well as the two IODs.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
CCD's dont have code name, Chip has. There is currently one Zen2 based APU, so the chip and product family called Renoir.
They may have internal project names at AMD - they are just not publicly known.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I had to look, and the cheapest Comet Lake i3 (10100) has a 4.3 SCT and 4.1 ACT and would in theory be slightly more than $125. Who knows that Intel will do with the actual pricing but it's clear the 3300X is priced to compete with that but you aren't getting much of a discount by going with AMD. Doesn't seem like there will be anything 4C8T cheaper than the 10100.

I want to see how high the 3100 and 3300X can clock.

Reactions: lightmanek

Geranium

Apr 22, 2020
Well, they are all dies, like Zeppelin is one. Matisse just happens to consist of multiple dies, one of which is even reused as the chipset. I find it awkward that there's no name for the CCD as well as the two IODs.
They may have internal project names at AMD - they are just not publicly known.

Well unlike Zeppelin, Zen2 CCD and I/O die are not fully independent die. Maybe that is why those dont have publicly known code name.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well unlike Zeppelin, Zen2 CCD and I/O die are not fully independent die. Maybe that is why those dont have publicly known code name.
For that matter, it will be really interesting what AMD does with their embedded products going forward. The iGPU less ones still are all based on Zeppelin.

I honestly originally expected AMD to have introduced further dies at this point to combine with the CCDs and/or IODs (which would have made the lack of names really confusing). Maybe that's something they always intended to only attempt next gen (new CPU family) or the one after (platform change).

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

To me it sounds more like that stock is pilling up closer to next CPU launch, rather than a good thing. The fact they were unable to launch B550 until this point and A320 still dares to live also suggest they had far too many chipsets produced and stored.

This is not a suprise to me, they had far too many unsold Ryzen 1000 and 2000 around once the Zen 2 launched. This is also happening while Picasso stock is drying up and Renoir is nowhere to be found.