Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I HOPE this will not be the case. People still hanging on to their 2600K is proof of stagnation in the CPU space for a good part of the decade.
For sure it can still perform daily computing tasks with great aplomb. But with Intel and AMD one upping each other, I have my doubts that Zen2 will be able to hold a candle next to anything coming out in 4-5 years.
TSMC's >3nm/Intel 7nm/SS 3GAE, High speed DDR5, stacked dies, wider cores (harder to scale up now), more cores, more SFUs, Coherent memory fabrics(CXL, IF 3.0, etc), FPGA integration(I hope), PIMs(I hope) should make current chips spartan in comparison.

All of those technologies are promising, but we have to wait and see how they play out. A 2600k ages rather well, a 2500k not so much. Software and games started making better use of threads. Had I known that at the time I would've paid the extra $100 or so for the 3770k instead of the the 3570k. I think the 3700X and above will be viable for the nest 4-5 years.

I think the question is, will there be a Matisse refresh? At this point I would think not. I remember a rumor of a 5GHz Zen 2 coming out this year to commemorate the 20th year of the Athlon launch, but that doesn't add up as the Athlon launched in 1999. Assuming Zen 3 comes out in say November, I don't think it would be worthwhile. I doubt AMD wants to get stuck with Zen 2 inventory like they did with RX 580.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
I think the question is, will there be a Matisse refresh? At this point I would think not. I remember a rumor of a 5GHz Zen 2 coming out this year to commemorate the 20th year of the Athlon launch, but that doesn't add up as the Athlon launched in 1999. Assuming Zen 3 comes out in say November, I don't think it would be worthwhile. I doubt AMD wants to get stuck with Zen 2 inventory like they did with RX 580.

Manufacturers do not always have anniversary editions exactly on the anniversary date. Often in the next fiscal year though.
It remains to be seen though if any anniversary edition will be brought to us.