Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Somewhere the picture came with a description in Chinese i guess that stated it was big Navi, the worker was working on a vrs bug, they couldn't run benches as the were using Linux/android. I'll see if I can find it

Right, they said they worked for AMD? Or are your reaching here? You're the first person in days to even suggest they were an AMD employee.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Ah, that is unfortunate then for us. But would also suggest that the photo was not from an AIB.

Unless the AIB's will put a sticker on the reference design and sell that until they get their own designs out the door. In the past this was putting lipstick on a pig, maybe this time around AMD will have a passable to decent cooler.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well that's certainly some good news. It even makes some of the other hype believable since it appears AMD have removed their heads from their posteriors in this regard which may signal an outbreak of common sense in other regards as well.

It may also mean that they're willing to invest some of the higher prices we can expect to pay into better build materials and solutions.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
With the announcement of the Xbox Series S $299 part, has enough information been released to determine/extrapolate the core config, power, and scaling numbers from that part?

I think I've read that its a 20CU part as opposed to a 56CU part but if MS is promoting the thing as a 1440p console, marketing mumbo jumbo aside, the 20 CUs under the hood must be reasonably performant to run next gen games at a reasonable speed even at 1080p resolutions.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
With the announcement of the Xbox Series S $299 part, has enough information been released to determine/extrapolate the core config, power, and scaling numbers from that part?

I think I've read that its a 20CU part as opposed to a 56CU part but if MS is promoting the thing as a 1440p console, marketing mumbo jumbo aside, the 20 CUs under the hood must be reasonably performant to run next gen games at a reasonable speed even at 1080p resolutions.
How do the divisions on what constitutes a Xbox One game vs a new system game even work anymore? The CPU will obviously be massively more performant in the Series S than the One X, but the GPU is more powerful in the One X. You'd almost think the One X could be forward compatible with the new games; they're all just basically cost optimized PCs anyway.

The mix of massively different hardware in the same generation just seems like a development nightmare.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
How do the divisions on what constitutes a Xbox One game vs a new system game even work anymore? The CPU will obviously be massively more performant in the Series S than the One X, but the GPU is more powerful in the One X. You'd almost think the One X could be forward compatible with the new games; they're all just basically cost optimized PCs anyway.

The mix of massively different hardware in the same generation just seems like a development nightmare.

I doubt the One S will be slower (graphically) than the One X. The One X basically has an RX480 class GPU. Even a smaller CU count RDNA2 GPU should be at worst equivalent.

Reactions: Tlh97

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Unless the AIB's will put a sticker on the reference design and sell that until they get their own designs out the door. In the past this was putting lipstick on a pig, maybe this time around AMD will have a passable to decent cooler.

In the past, AIB's don't get dev boards for that. They are given a reference design that they build to spec.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

I expect there will be cross gen games that work across both Xbox One consoles and Xbox Series S/X consoles at the appropriate resolution for the console from 720p (upscaled to 1080p) all the way to 4K. Then there will be new Xbox Series S/X exclusive titles as well where Series X will run at higher resolutions than Series S. After a short time all new titles will be for the latest gen only.

This isn't very uncommon from previous generations where you have cross-gen releases for a small window and is actually probably much easier from the developers perspective as the architectures are much more similar compared to many cross-gen games (e.g. PS3 to PS4) and will largely be separated by running the game at the appropriate resolution.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
The One systems are massively bottlenecked by the CPU. Even all things being equal(ized) the Series systems will allow for much higher framerates due to the CPU no longer being the bottleneck preventing it anymore. We are already seeing this happening with the promise that Gears 5 multiplayer will offer 120fps.

Helis4life

Sep 6, 2020

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
Do you have a price list?

Was there any point in NVIDIA announcing RT for Fortnite when the target audience can't afford a card to run it?

RT is already out. That is different regarding leveraging existing cards that have been out a while with the tech in a game that is having it Vs promoting a card render and reveal in a game.
Yes I have the price list in my back pocket :)

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009
I'd like to take credit for that theory, but an Anandtech Editor said it's plausible. It explains the anemicness of the leak from last week but also doesn't make sense because such a large cache would have to be fast and be able to constantly flush and update due to how dynamic games are compared to say a static or fixed motion render.

The Traversal coprocessor was BS due to where it was suggested it would be. Additionally, the same person suggested the VRMs and the memory chips would be on a second PCB connected to the main PCB. This is plain wrong on so many levels yet people fell for it. The Game Cache Andrei mentions as a chiplet is also suspect. I don't think it's been done on a B2C product before, but I could be very wrong here. I'm more interested in how AMD are making up for an otherwise anemic card per fairly accurate leaks (accuracy based on prior rumors). If anyone can get Andrei to hop in this thread and clarify, that would be neat. I'd love to learn something new because I didn't think this was possible. I don't have a reddit and refuse to make one.

I should note that the thread was based on a video titled "RDNA 2 Is Monstrous | Insane Cache System & Performance Info - EXCLUSIVE" which is by "R3d G@m!ng T3ch, I've used alternative symbols to prevent SEO improvement. I don't find his videos viable in the least, and I'm skeptical of his so-called sources which may very well be his son's teddy bear collection for all we know. For the moment the idea of using a large cache only chip is right up AMD's alley. I don't believe any of these Youtube or blog charlatans. We have nothing to go on at the moment other than an anemic engineering board that was leaked last week. It's fun to discuss BS.

I haven’t actually seen the stuff about VRMs and memory. Most of the YouTube channels talking about upcoming hardware are complete garbage. They are making a video every day, it seems, even through there hasn’t been much new information in months. They get a lot of views even though they don’t have any new information. I wonder how much money they are making from talking for 20 minutes without any real content.

As to to the actual “rumors”, there is no way they can put GDDR6 on a separate board from the gpu if that is what they were implying. The VRM on a separate board doesn’t make sense either, at least not in the desktop market. There was some rumors about some new power management system in his latest video. The only thing I can think of is that they are making a mezzanine type card that includes gpu and some voltage regulating hardware. That would more likely be a CDNA card, so it isn’t necessarily complete garbage, it just might be for a different product. The GPUs that AMD will be making for their super computer wins could be a mezzanine type boards/packages with VRMs on the gpu board.

If their top end is using a 256-bit bus, then it seems like they need something to compete with Nvidia. That is why I am taking the cache rumor a bit more seriously. Infinity fabric connected chips do not necessarily need to be on the same board, but if they are using such cache die, then they would much more likely be on the same package as the gpu using IFOP style connections. That is much lower power than IFIS off package links. Such a cache die might be reusable for Epyc, so it makes some sense. An Epyc with 128 MB L4 cache chips would be very interesting.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

The existence of the Series S seems highly indicative of a DirectML DLSS equivalent. I realize this console is also likely intended for Stadia-style streamed games, but "lossless" upscaling would be a console holy grail.

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009

If it is really using a 256-bit GDDR6 bus, then it is nearly a drop in replacement for the previous generation. It would need to reach higher memory clock and probably more power, but many of the boards can probably already do that. What else really needs to change? If the gpu package size changed, then they would need to do a new layout, but the pin-out could be essentially the same.