Someone on Ebay trying to scam me! What to do?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: MWink
I just got this email from him:

i still find this kinda frustrating because i know i didn't do anything
to
the motherboard; i have neither the skill nor... well ok, the skill
maybe,
but not the patiance to replace a board that small. honestly, the only
time
i ever let the shuttle out of my posession was when i left it to best
buy to
have my friend look at it. would you mind sending me those pictures you
have
of the boards? not the i want to accuse my friend of doing something
this, but if you didn't do it (obviously) and i didn't do it, the only
other
time something would have been done was there, at best buy. so ya,
send me
the pictures so that i can have some type of proof. anyway, this is
what i'm
thinking. i'm not going to make a claim because, even though losing a
little
over $150 hurts, it's not going to break my bank. i don't; however,
want to
feel lke i'm being cheated out of everything you know? so can you at
least
send me back the shuttle? not that having a broken computer does me
any
good, but at least with those pictures, and the shuttle, i would have
some
evidence of other things that might have happened. let me know what
you
think. thanks

I'm going to send him the pictures so that he can see the difference. Unless I come up with a reason not to, I think I'm going to offer to send the Shuttle back to him if he will pay shipping. Anyone see a reason not to do this?

His engrish doesn't help his cause. Not claiming a file because $150 doesn't break his bank? LOL! What a lamer. Obviously, he knows he is busted.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Originally posted by: DaWhim
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Originally posted by: woowoo
Originally posted by: Suture
Wow, good eyes for catching this, OP. I'm very interested in hearing the final outcome.

Sorry to say but paypal will probably side with the buyer.....

How could they possibly do that, especially if the OP provides pics.

Also why I don't accept returns on computer parts. Sold as is.

paypal usually side with the buyer. I have heard enough horror stories about it. payla doesn't give a crap about what is the whole story.

did he use delivery confirmation with usps?

like other has said. take the money back to your bank account NOW. paypal will most likely take the money from you.

Can we please stop giving bad advice to the OP? Cleaning out his PP account will not protect OP should they rule in favor of the buyer. PP will either withdraw money from his linked checking account, or worse yet, will send his account to colleltion agency which will go on his credit report.

As for the "horror stories" you've heard.. As someone who has been involved in several PP disputes both as a buyer and a seller I can tell you firsthand that PP will rule in favor of the buyer only if seller outright lied about his item, or did not do his due diligence. PP has no interest in pissing off sellers, since sellers pay all the PP fees, not the buyers.

This is why I have 2 checking accounts. Whenever my paypal receives funds, I transfer to my ebay checking account. Once that account receives the funds, I transfer to my real checking account. I have also specifically told washington mutual to never transfer money to that "ebay" checking account from any other account I have.

Dessert Tears

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2005
I'm going to send him the pictures so that he can see the difference. Unless I come up with a reason not to, I think I'm going to offer to send the Shuttle back to him if he will pay shipping. Anyone see a reason not to do this?
If you haven't sent the pictures already, make sure that you reduce the size and/or quality. I'm not sure what he could do with them (maybe claim that he took them himself?), but you gain nothing from giving the originals to him.

I don't have any experience with these things, but from the posts in this thread, it seems like you could be out your parts, the case, the original funds, and the new shipping if he files a dispute once you ship back.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Flatscan
If you haven't sent the pictures already, make sure that you reduce the size and/or quality. I'm not sure what he could do with them (maybe claim that he took them himself?), but you gain nothing from giving the originals to him.

I don't have any experience with these things, but from the posts in this thread, it seems like you could be out your parts, the case, the original funds, and the new shipping if he files a dispute once you ship back.

Yea no point of sending it to him.

If you do decide to send it, watermark it.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I already sent him a picture of each board. The pictures have been slightly modified. I also have a number of pictures I did not send him or post here. I don't see why I should keep what he sent me. The stuff he sent me is his and I have no use for it. Of course he would have to pay shipping again. If he does do a chargeback, couldn't I just take him to court and win easily? Admittedly I don't know what would be involved with that but I watch a lot of the People's Court and I think I would win easily.

Dec 10, 2005
I already sent him a picture of each board. The pictures have been slightly modified. I also have a number of pictures I did not send him or post here. I don't see why I should keep what he sent me. The stuff he sent me is his and I have no use for it. Of course he would have to pay shipping again. If he does do a chargeback, couldn't I just take him to court and win easily? Admittedly I don't know what would be involved with that but I watch a lot of the People's Court and I think I would win easily.

Why would you send back the evidence so that he could get rid of it?

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

While that makes sense, what right do I have to keep it?

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
If you send it back to him he can very well break your mobo and then file a claim. :Q Never know what this little twerp might try now that he's been busted.

Dobbs

Nov 19, 2001
A typical scammer will blaim a 3rd party, I dont buy it. $150.00 is $150.00 so if he dont want it, send it this way, just doesnt add up in my eyes. Report everything and do contact his local police dept asap and file a complaint. This gives you leverage and proof you have sought action against him before he starts to file a paypal disput. Seems people think that contacting his local police and filing a complaint = the scammer being arrested, no it doesnt. It does however give you a record of action being taken as mentioned above and also the chance to find out if he already has prior complaints against him for such actions. If you cant get the cops to bust him, you can at least expose him. You may be surprised that some cops are actualy up to taking action on a simple complaint if doing nothing more than a simple door knock to let the person know a complaint has been filed against them.

If you could let us know what city this person is in, you may get help from a local member of the board.

Dec 4, 2002

You have every right to keep it until he fess up to the switch or he sends you back your mobo.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

The scammer still has your working board though. Don't give him back the broken board because then he'll probably just go ahead and file a dispute with paypal and you'll be stuck with nothing but these pics.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If you send back the broken board, he will just swap the stickers back and claim he was right all along.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Originally posted by: HomeAppraiser
His local police department. "What's Ebay?""

"He replaced your... motherb... wha??"

"Yea, we'll get right on this *circular file*."

Hopefully something will come of it, but I have a feeling that they have bigger fish to fry.

No sh|t. I had two cars broken into on the same day, and the cops couldn't have given two sh|ts about it. Sames goes for my wife's ID theft.

Sucks for the OP, but they couldn't give a RAT'S ASS about some $135 ebay auction that went south.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Well, just got through the whole thread. What a mess. This is why I don't eBay anymore.

I don't think the OP would really be screwing himself by sending it all back to the buyer (provided that the buyer pays shipping costs). After all, there's a HUGE trail of email that outlines everything.

That said, it's pretty obvious the buyer tried to scam the OP and now knows he's busted and is trying to minimize his losses.

The third option, however, is this:

He sent half of your gear back for a refund. Just stick to your original request: "send me EVERYTHING back and you'll receive your refund". Obviously he doesn't have the rest of your stuff anymore (for whatever reason). Result? You get the pile he sent back plus the $$$. He has no grounds for filing a complaint since he hasn't completed the return.

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
What a punk. Thx for sharing. Hope it works out for ya. Next time i sell something on ebay (especially electronics), I'm going to add a "sold as is" or "no returns" disclaimer.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Originally posted by: DaWhim
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Originally posted by: woowoo
Originally posted by: Suture
Wow, good eyes for catching this, OP. I'm very interested in hearing the final outcome.

Sorry to say but paypal will probably side with the buyer.....

How could they possibly do that, especially if the OP provides pics.

Also why I don't accept returns on computer parts. Sold as is.

paypal usually side with the buyer. I have heard enough horror stories about it. payla doesn't give a crap about what is the whole story.

did he use delivery confirmation with usps?

like other has said. take the money back to your bank account NOW. paypal will most likely take the money from you.

Can we please stop giving bad advice to the OP? Cleaning out his PP account will not protect OP should they rule in favor of the buyer. PP will either withdraw money from his linked checking account, or worse yet, will send his account to colleltion agency which will go on his credit report.

As for the "horror stories" you've heard.. As someone who has been involved in several PP disputes both as a buyer and a seller I can tell you firsthand that PP will rule in favor of the buyer only if seller outright lied about his item, or did not do his due diligence. PP has no interest in pissing off sellers, since sellers pay all the PP fees, not the buyers.

From my PP experience PP favors the buyer by a HUGE majority even when I was a loyal seller.
I'm still pissed about it today, because PP did not even do a proper investigation and I alone had to call back over 8 times to get my money back. Should've filled a BBB and FTC report on PP's ass.

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
I'll say you would be very dumb to send the broken board back to him man. If you send it back , and he nails you with a dispute..you have nothing. And I'll laugh when he takes your board , and your money.
Brother , this cat ripped you off! Say it......"He ripped me off". Get mad about it. Don't send him anything else...pictures , or the dang board. You should get the authorities involved in this, and with the last email he sent you where he admits "it could have been my friend". Dude , c'mon , do you think anyone will believe that crap? They will know just as well as we do , that this dude RIPPED YOU OFF!
Quit pussy footing with this jerk off , and slap him up side his head with the POLICE! These kind of people need their fingers chopped off for making buying ,selling & trading on the internet so sketchy that normal people have to be so careful.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: TygGer
What a punk. Thx for sharing. Hope it works out for ya. Next time i sell something on ebay (especially electronics), I'm going to add a "sold as is" or "no returns" disclaimer.

I don't think it matters. "As is" isn't likely to get you out of any mishaps like this. PayPal is running the ship.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Ugh, red-flags-a-plenty in those emails.

You're being too nice, and to someone who isn't returning the favor. He keeps on with the *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*... Gah. No, don't send anything back until he sends you the other shuttle (I'd put money on it being yours) with the working board. Have HIM send pictures of the other one that he mentions, then doesn't mentions, then mentions...

To reiterate: Do NOT send him the Shuttle.