Someone on Ebay trying to scam me! What to do?

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I sold my old Shuttle XPC barebones on Ebay a few weeks ago. It was bought by a guy with fairly good feedback and everything was going fine until he received it. He claimed that he couldn't get it to work. He even took it to Best Buy where his friend works and they couldn't get it to work. I spent quite a while emailing him with different ideas but he said that none of them worked. Finally I agreed to let him return it (I have a DOA only policy).

Side note, when I originally shipped it to him, it cost about double what I charged him (I used Ebay's shipping thingy). Suffice it to say, I was none too happy with the idea of giving him a refund, plus his shipping cost on top of already losing $15 or so to my shipping it. Of course if it really was defective I would do it because it's the right thing to do.

Today I get home and there's the package waiting for me. I open it up and he shipped it in peanuts (I used the stuff that it originally came with) so I had to pick peanuts out of it. He also forgot to send the box full of parts, manuals, etc. From a cursory glance, it's obviously my XPC as I had modded it a bit. I plugged it in, hit the power button, it came on for half a second and shut down (the exact problem he described). So I started looking it over carefully to see if anything was obviously wrong.

First thing I noticed was it had a bit more dust than I think mine had when I shipped it, which made no sense if it didn't work. I also noticed that the serial number sticker on the AGP slot was not in the same place and there was sticky stuff where it would have been originally, though the SN did match. Finally I noticed that some of the other stickers (on top of the ports, etc.) did not match mine at all and they did not appear to have been tampered with. That's when I knew this wasn't mine. I also realized that it is not even the same exact motherboard as mine because some things are in different places or missing.

I have to give the guy credit, he did a great job trying to cover his tracks. Most people probably would have never figured it out. I'm sure glad I take lots of pictures of everything I sell on Ebay.

Now the question remains, what do I do? I have my case and power supply and his defective motherboard. I still have his money in my Paypal account. I'm certainly not going to give him a refund while he has my motherboard and other parts. Even then I wouldn't refund what I paid for shipping. I sent him an email asking him to explain but I'm not sure what to expect. Any opinion on what I should do/say?

Cliffs:
1. Guy buys my old Shuttle XPC barebones on Ebay.
2. Claims it was DOA, I troubleshoot to no avail.
3. Guy returns XPC but swapped the motherboard. (he did put my SN sticker on it)
4. What do I do? Luckly I still have his money.

Aug 26, 2004
that's an interesting one :Q

personally, i would send him links to both sets of pics proving it wasn't your stuff he sent back and tell him to fvck right off

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Did you ship with USPS ?

Maybe you can hit up the local post master and file for mail fraud.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
You can start off by emailing him and telling him what you told us. Keep copies of all emails. My magic 8-ball tells me there's a PayPal dispute in your near future, sorry.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Be diplomatic--tell him that he sent the wrong item and you cannot issue a refund. Also, tell him that he will have to pay you to ship his crap back to him :)

What was the tone of your email requesting an explanation? Or maybe if you could just post the email.

lytalbayre

Apr 28, 2005
If I was you I would report a dispute on paypal right now before he gets a chance. It's always better to be pro-active. I think paypal will be more inclined to believe you if you initiate the complaint.

Then I would wait for him to respond.

Also, transfer the money out of paypal now!!!! Do not issue him a refund, and do not ship items back to him until you hear back from paypal dispute person.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
id remind him what he has done is considered mail fraud and you will take the appropriate steps to inform his local police department of his attempt to commit fraud

Dec 10, 2005
Do you have before shipping pictures to compare with the return product? Definitely start a complaint with PayPal ASAP so they don't screw you over.

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
id remind him what he has done is considered mail fraud and you will take the appropriate steps to inform his local police department of his attempt to commit fraud

:thumbsup:

Dobbs

Nov 19, 2001
the person has commited a Federal Crime, mail fraud. Definatly contact the fraudsters local police dept and file a report, also do so with paypal and ebay immediatly. If you do not take first action, he will. Ebay does not care, sad but true, as long as they get paid which is why its a scammers paradise. I suggest you remove any and all funds attached to that paypal account. If its linked to your bank account, empty that too. Paypal screwed my friend over a couple years back due to a similar instance with an illegaly frozen account yet he was the victim.

You have been scammed, make the first move and dont let the scammer know this until you have filled complaints with his local police dept, ebay and paypal. I would even report this to my bank before paypal tries to screw with the account (if its attached to paypal).

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Man, the audacity. If he actually thought he could get away with this one, that's a sweet potato gem of a scammer right there.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Be diplomatic--tell him that he sent the wrong item and you cannot issue a refund. Also, tell him that he will have to pay you to ship his crap back to him :)

What was the tone of your email requesting an explanation? Or maybe if you could just post the email.

Here's the email I sent him:

I received the computer today and have taken a quick
look at it. It does appear to do what you described.
However, you did not return everything I sent you.
You forgot the box with the manuals, hardware, etc.
You also forgot to return MY motherboard! Please
explain.

I do have pictures I took before I shipped it and obviously I can take pictures of what he sent me. I shipped it to him UPS and he shipped it back USPS so would that still count as mail fraud? I've been looking at Ebay and Paypal. I think I found a way to report it to Ebay but I'm not sure how to with Paypal. Unfortunately I noticed that this transaction does not qualify for Paypal's seller protection because he doesn't have a confirmed address. Any idea how to report it to Paypal? BTW thanks for all the help.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: MWink
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

Here's the email I sent him:

I received the computer today and have taken a quick
look at it. It does appear to do what you described.
However, you did not return everything I sent you.
You forgot the box with the manuals, hardware, etc.
You also forgot to return MY motherboard! Please
explain.

I do have pictures I took before I shipped it and obviously I can take pictures of what he sent me. I shipped it to him UPS and he shipped it back USPS so would that still count as mail fraud? I've been looking at Ebay and Paypal. I think I found a way to report it to Ebay but I'm not sure how to with Paypal. Unfortunately I noticed that this transaction does not qualify for Paypal's seller protection because he doesn't have a confirmed address. Any idea how to report it to Paypal? BTW thanks for all the help.

Certainly fraud. He used USPS to ship something that was not what he claimed it to be. I don't know how to report it through Paypal, but definitely start filing information through whatever you can to get the jump on the scammer.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
wow a sneaky buyer...definitely get USPS, ebay, and/or paypal on this. he needs to be taught a lesson. i hate those kinds of people.

nissan720

Dec 3, 2004
Start by cleaning out that PayPal account and informing the bank to stop all Paypal transfers until you notify them again.

Then inform Paypal and Ebay of the Fraud.

Inform his local police and the USPS Postmaster (by phone seems to work the best), tell them you have pictures and information you will give them to prove the fraud. You are willing to press charges and how you can be reached (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email).

pravi333

May 25, 2005
He must've never suspected you to be this knowledgeable. Such a A?hole he is.
Honestly I think this internet is bringing us back to stoneage, whatever standards we as a human race built it for so many centuries have to be defined again in the world off internet

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well it was pretty hard to figure out what to do since this is such a strange problem but I sent an email to both Ebay and Paypal. I also transferred all the money out of my Paypal account. I will look into filing a complaint with USPS (thanks for the links).

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
since when does a motherboard SN come on a sticker?

edit: nm, guess its always been like that. I must have been thinking model number. hrmm seems like an awefully easy way to rip people off.