Someone on Ebay trying to scam me! What to do?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rangoric

Apr 5, 2006
If his friend swapped it, then why didn't it work before he went to BB?

For some reason I don't think he'll send back the MoBo without it being broken.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: MWink
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Pics?

(not that I don't believe you, I just want to see, is all)

I don't have anywhere to upload them at the moment. If anyone wants to host them or can tell me where to get some free webspace I'll be happy to provide them.

Here ya go.

Thanks, here they are. I just noticed that even the model numbers don't match! LOL

His1.JPG
His2.JPG
My1.jpg
My2.JPG

Warning: they are large.

clearly different

bottom of the board

his - FN41 V2.0
yours - FN41V3.1/FN45V2.0

totally different

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
I already sent him a picture of each board. The pictures have been slightly modified. I also have a number of pictures I did not send him or post here. I don't see why I should keep what he sent me. The stuff he sent me is his and I have no use for it. Of course he would have to pay shipping again. If he does do a chargeback, couldn't I just take him to court and win easily? Admittedly I don't know what would be involved with that but I watch a lot of the People's Court and I think I would win easily.

Ask him to fess up !

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
wow i never dealt with this one yet. In my opinion, i wouldn't send the Shuttle back, he obviously got what he wanted the working motheboard and the extras.

The latest one i got was, i parted out a laptop, some guy asked me how much shipping will be total if he bought most of the parts, so i said flat rate of $20 insured through Fedex. Got 2 snotty emails back of how i over charge for shipping and he will buy all my parts for $1. None the less, he ended up winning the plastics for the laptop for $1 + $8 shipping. He sent me an Echeck, then exactly a day later asked where's the tracking number because he paypal'd me the day before. I let him know it was an echeck, i waited for it to clear and then sent the stuff. I emailed him saying it shipped and the payment cleared, item shipped cost $8.50, so i made 50 cents if that. Then he emails me last week saying "i never received item, whats the tracking number." I emailed him back "this is your tracking number, you received it on October 5th." No response until yesterday, "want to exchange feedback?" Ugg..i hate ebay

palindrome

Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Trader05
wow i never dealt with this one yet. In my opinion, i wouldn't send the Shuttle back, he obviously got what he wanted the working motheboard and the extras.

The latest one i got was, i parted out a laptop, some guy asked me how much shipping will be total if he bought most of the parts, so i said flat rate of $20 insured through Fedex. Got 2 snotty emails back of how i over charge for shipping and he will buy all my parts for $1. None the less, he ended up winning the plastics for the laptop for $1 + $8 shipping. He sent me an Echeck, then exactly a day later asked where's the tracking number because he paypal'd me the day before. I let him know it was an echeck, i waited for it to clear and then sent the stuff. I emailed him saying it shipped and the payment cleared, item shipped cost $8.50, so i made 50 cents if that. Then he emails me last week saying "i never received item, whats the tracking number." I emailed him back "this is your tracking number, you received it on October 5th." No response until yesterday, "want to exchange feedback?" Ugg..i hate ebay

I can't wait until we get a google auction site or something...

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: palindrome
Originally posted by: Trader05

I can't wait until we get a google auction site or something...

its daft, we dont seem to get as many jerks on ebay.co.uk

probably something to do with being british

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: nissan720
Start by cleaning out that PayPal account and informing the bank to stop all Paypal transfers until you notify them again.

Then inform Paypal and Ebay of the Fraud.

Inform his local police and the USPS Postmaster (by phone seems to work the best), tell them you have pictures and information you will give them to prove the fraud. You are willing to press charges and how you can be reached (Name, Address, Phone Number, Email).

That won't help. Paypal will just end up billing him.. creating a negative balance in his account. If he doesn't pay, paypal will go to collections, and his credit will get fried.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: jagec
No news, he hasn't replied yet.

Did you report him to the cops?

Doubt they'll do anything either way.
They're more interested in generating revenue through traffic tickets.
Sad truth.
I know a lot of ATOTers believe the contrary.. but face it, how often do you hear cops actually doing something a stolen item has been reported? Arguing that cops have no way of finding the crooks is a bogus excuse. Even if they had the crook's name and address, along with all of the evidence, they're still unlikely to do anything. And they're probably far less likely to do anything in an internet fraud, especially considering when the evidence is hard to prove.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: pravi333
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Pics?

(not that I don't believe you, I just want to see, is all)

I don't have anywhere to upload them at the moment. If anyone wants to host them or can tell me where to get some free webspace I'll be happy to provide them.

Here ya go.

Thanks, here they are. I just noticed that even the model numbers don't match! LOL

His1.JPG
His2.JPG
My1.jpg
My2.JPG

Warning: they are large.

between His1/My1 i see the same serial number as far as i can see except His1 sticker is moved slightly towards my right

Between His2/My2 i see the nvidia fan missing on My2 and the cables have been moved somewhere on My2

I am missing something here, can you explain the picture more? not that i am off any help here, just curious

Wait i just noticed that a capcitor is not matching on the second set off picture near the memory slots

Different models, look at the bottom of the board.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
Originally posted by: jagec
No news, he hasn't replied yet.

Did you report him to the cops?

Doubt they'll do anything either way.
They're more interested in generating revenue through traffic tickets.
Sad truth.
I know a lot of ATOTers believe the contrary.. but face it, how often do you hear cops actually doing something a stolen item has been reported? Arguing that cops have no way of finding the crooks is a bogus excuse. Even if they had the crook's name and address, along with all of the evidence, they're still unlikely to do anything. And they're probably far less likely to do anything in an internet fraud, especially considering when the evidence is hard to prove.

Do you think I believe any different? Of course not. You report him to the cops for the same reason that Sisyphus pushes his rock.

Laputa

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Simply file a mail fraud complain with USPS and then do the eBay and paypal complain. If eBay or paypal take away any of your fund for a refund, you better file a civial case to make them liable for your loss. Almost none of the businesses can defend themselves in a civial case, in this case you have all the evidence and they don't have any. As for the scammer, let the USPS deal with him. I don't think eBay nor paypal are interested into getting into this federal criminal case matter because they may end up be held liable, then with possible millions of suits as the aftermath.

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
its simple he tried to stiff you he is not in position to request anything, give him partial money back and report this guy