So what did you score on black friday?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
I went with 3 friends to one of our local Best Buy's, where I work. We got there around 10:30PM and we were about 90th in line. My 2 friends were each buying the 32" Westinghouse TV's, and they scored the last 2 vouchers on those.

I was in line for a Wii, but since I work there, they wouldn't let me buy one :(. I wish someone would have told me that. So instead I bought a 22" Samsung LCD. It came out a little bit more expensive than the Westinghouse after my discount. I refuse to buy a Westinghouse 22" LCD for my main PC, though that was an awesome deal.

At least my friends got what they wanted, and I am extremely happy with my new toy :p.

The weather wasn't bad either, it was about 31 degrees with no wind, so it was a little cold, but if you had some blankets with you you were fine. Fun Wisconsin weather.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
A popular "undiscountable" Japanese luxury car for $3200 below invoice.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: allisolm
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: Vic
Black Friday deals are only hot if your time is worth nothing.
GF saved a bundle, $$$$ bucks, she waited for 6 hours. Ended up saving $1040 off BB'
s normal prices, and probably $750 off on-line prices. I know nobody personally who makes even close to that kind of money in 6 hours. And people who were there who got more then a couple items (she got 3) saved even more.

I mean it was 6 hours of sitting there drinking soda and chatting, was boring as hell but the end result was wonderful. And mind you we didn't really plan anything, just drove to a BB and waited.
Your experience was atypical. Plus, most areas of the country do not have warm weather on Black Friday.

Not really. I waited in line for 15 minutes at Home Depot, got the 2 garage door openers I wanted, saved $106. No line to check out.
Moved on to Staples. Got the 200GB drive reg $120 for $20. Picked up a FAR laminator and a FAR surge protector strip. Saved $151. No line to check out.
Went to CompUSA. Got the Memorex DVD+R printables reg. $29.99 for $10. Saved $20. No line to check out.

Went to Circuit City later in the day to pick up the stuff I ordered the day before, external dual-layer DVD burner $29.99 AR, some XBox 360 games, teaching calculator FAR, eletronics vacuum FAR. Saved $160 and no check out lines.

Saved over $400 and spent 2 1/2 hrs total out. Temp ranged from 49 in the early morning to 76 later on.

Black Friday deals are only hot if your time is worth nothing.
I hate to break it to you, but unless you are getting paid to do something else during the time you would have spent shopping, in which case you couldn't be shopping anyway, your time IS worth nothing, as is mine and everybody else's.

PWNED. I got 22 westies and some cheap dvd-r and a canon all in one printer. :) good enough for me.

Dritnul

Jan 9, 2006
Originally posted by: NeoAaronX
I picked up the 22" WS monitor at Best Buy,.... $200.

Well, I had a co-worker pick it up for me.

I gave her $240 to cover the tax and let her pocket the rest as her "fee".

I tried to get that but by time i got there they were so far back ordered they couldn't even order me one so i got the 19" WS HDTV version instead for the same price

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Samsung 931BW 19 Widescreen $129 @ BB.

Went to 1 BB @ 6:15a, already sold out. Went to another BB @ 6:45a and a very friendly and helpful woman struggled desparately to find me one (after I was already told they were gone). She found me one!! It was hidden amongst very similar 19in Samsungs.

I gave her a hug and all was great that day. :)

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I got a 37" LCD HDTV for 500 bucks from microcenter. But now I am torn on if i should keep that or get the 1080p westy 37" from crutchfield for 999. What should I do, help me decide

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
I got a $999 projector (Hidef w/ DVD player built in) for $450 at circuit city. Waited 5 hours in the cold for it, but was well worth it! =D

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Juice Box
I got a $999 projector (Hidef w/ DVD player built in) for $450 at circuit city. Waited 5 hours in the cold for it, but was well worth it! =D

Which one was that?

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: coolred
I got a 37" LCD HDTV for 500 bucks from microcenter. But now I am torn on if i should keep that or get the 1080p westy 37" from crutchfield for 999. What should I do, help me decide

If you need the LCD for watching TV (>8 feets away) and a little bit for PC use I would stick with 37" 1360x768 TV.

If you run games and don't want to spend >300 for a high end video card, then I would stick with that.

If you use it for prolong period as PC monitor, for playing PS3/Xbox 360, or able to use lots of DVI/HDMI ports at the same time, then I would go with higher end WH. Bear in mind if you don't have a DirectTV, Satellite, or Cable box, you'll need to shell out for OTA ATSC tuner (additional money). Of course, you might be able to sell the lower-resolution 37" LCD for profits instead of returning it and it'll help you to justify the upgrade to 1080P WH. ;)

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
My brother and I were camping from 7:30pm the night before at Best Buy, 17 and 18th in line.

~$2000 worth of stuff

2x $389 laptops
2x Ipods
4x 100 dvd-r
around 15 movies
$130 tv
dvd player
2x $139 cameras
some other stuff

We bought a lot of the stuff for family/friends, since we were going anyway.

jiwq

Platinum Member
May 24, 2001
also got the 32" westinghouse. they let me use the 12% off coupon, so i got it for $430 + tax. :thumbsup:

and i found out this thing has a built in hd tuner! Text

Oct 9, 1999
i was first inline with all of my friends at my local BB. we went at 3pm thursday and had a blast the entire time. grilled out, played fribee golf, played guitars and mario kart DS all night.

picked up the $70 digi cam, miniDV, $189 desktop, $250 toshiba, $250 klipsch speakers for the rents living room, $70 portable DVD, $99 kenwood mp3 deck and a few other items.

my friend walked out of the store and someone bought the toshiba lappy for $450. i had an extra voucher for an item and sold it for $50. i'm going to resell everything i bought for a higher price except the laptop.

was going to sell the laptop until i loaded up source and found out it could play it fine. ordered another half gig for the laptop to help out. nothing like sitting at work(like now) playing source on a $250 laptop. here's a screenshot of me playing on it earlier: http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6028/deaztec0000ow6.jpg

once i sell the desktop for double what i paid for it, the laptop will pretty much be free.

profit.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Hm, I scored a smashed big toe playing soccer and a 32 ounce fountain drink of Mug rootbeer for 89 cents afterwards at the Admiral station.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
the plan was to sleep, and do other things. I discovered BB online deals...so, dumbass that I am, wandered over aorund 8am to score a 42" Panasonic Plasma for 999.00. 2 hours later, I was carting a 42" Samsung plasma down the street and back to my apartment. (same price)

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Some egg crate from Home Depot $5.97 a sheet, down from $10.97/sheet. And a 6.5 foot Christmas Tree (pre-lit) for $29.95 with a free $30 Home Depot gift card (mail-in form).

Used the egg crate for the bottom lining of a quarantine aquarium I've setup on my back lanai. Also had enough leftover on one sheet to make a lid for the tank as well.

pics in sig
|
|||
|
V
V