So what did you score on black friday?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: Vic
Black Friday deals are only hot if your time is worth nothing.

GF saved a bundle, $$$$ bucks, she waited for 6 hours. Ended up saving $1040 off BB'
s normal prices, and probably $750 off on-line prices. I know nobody personally who makes even close to that kind of money in 6 hours. And people who were there who got more then a couple items (she got 3) saved even more.

My time is worth money and if you play your cards right with BF deals, you can save tons of cash *shrug*

I mean it was 6 hours of sitting there drinking soda and chatting, was boring as hell but the end result was wonderful. And mind you we didn't really plan anything, just drove to a BB and waited.
Your experience was atypical. Plus, most areas of the country do not have warm weather on Black Friday.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
3 1/2 hours of consulting early in the morning.
Good times with family and friends the rest of the day and evening. We drove by BB and OM on the way back from the consulting job, and the line swtiched from one store to the other. I did not let off the throttle:p

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: wasssup
Mio c310x GPS unit for $150 at circuit city...that's all I wanted so that's all I bought. :D

same but for 119 AC that I bought online at STAPELS at 2am PST ;)

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
I went to Best Buy at 8am and waited until noon for ticketed computers to become available. And viola! I was one of the two who managed to walk away with the HP Core Solo laptop. :)

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Plan C is staying up late early in the morning on BF and ordering online. That's what I did; scored some cheap GPS units. Grabbed a Nintendo Wii during the daylight hours (plus a full set of controllers), other misc. electronics; spent $1400 total. Not bad, but I could've done a little more damage if the register lines were shorter.

Not bad, i'll have to add that is plan D, thanks ;)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
GF saved a bundle, $$$$ bucks, she waited for 6 hours. Ended up saving $1040 off BB'
s normal prices, and probably $750 off on-line prices. I know nobody personally who makes even close to that kind of money in 6 hours. And people who were there who got more then a couple items (she got 3) saved even more.

I mean it was 6 hours of sitting there drinking soda and chatting, was boring as hell but the end result was wonderful. And mind you we didn't really plan anything, just drove to a BB and waited.
Your experience was atypical. Plus, most areas of the country do not have warm weather on Black Friday.

Not really. I waited in line for 15 minutes at Home Depot, got the 2 garage door openers I wanted, saved $106. No line to check out.
Moved on to Staples. Got the 200GB drive reg $120 for $20. Picked up a FAR laminator and a FAR surge protector strip. Saved $151. No line to check out.
Went to CompUSA. Got the Memorex DVD+R printables reg. $29.99 for $10. Saved $20. No line to check out.

Went to Circuit City later in the day to pick up the stuff I ordered the day before, external dual-layer DVD burner $29.99 AR, some XBox 360 games, teaching calculator FAR, eletronics vacuum FAR. Saved $160 and no check out lines.

Saved over $400 and spent 2 1/2 hrs total out. Temp ranged from 49 in the early morning to 76 later on.

I hate to break it to you, but unless you are getting paid to do something else during the time you would have spent shopping, in which case you couldn't be shopping anyway, your time IS worth nothing, as is mine and everybody else's.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: allisolm
Not really. I waited in line for 15 minutes at Home Depot, got the 2 garage door openers I wanted, saved $106. No line to check out.
Moved on to Staples. Got the 200GB drive reg $120 for $20. Picked up a FAR laminator and a FAR surge protector strip. Saved $151. No line to check out.
Went to CompUSA. Got the Memorex DVD+R printables reg. $29.99 for $10. Saved $20. No line to check out.

Went to Circuit City later in the day to pick up the stuff I ordered the day before, external dual-layer DVD burner $29.99 AR, some XBox 360 games, teaching calculator FAR, eletronics vacuum FAR. Saved $160 and no check out lines.

Saved over $400 and spent 2 1/2 hrs total out. Temp ranged from 49 in the early morning to 76 later on.

I got that 200gb from staples too, but guess what? I was able to do it online, also grab the 60pack dvd+r for $3AR.

also got the mio gps from CC. again, I ordered it online.

I didn't really plan to spend on anything else other than clothings on BF, but it just happened I could order those in-store deal online.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
$500 olevia 232v
$500 MAG 32-inch LCD HDTV
3x $70 sandisk sansa c160 mp3 players
$13AR 2gb sandisk usb drive
6x $3AR sandisk 1gb SD card
$4AR sandisk 1gb usb drive
$3AR 60-pk DVD-R spindle
FAR targus dvd player case
$3AR KVM switch
$8AR remington shaver
-$6AR adaptec firewire/usb combo PCI card
$6AR refurb HP335 printer
FAR 100-pk ridata DVD+R
FAR 50-pk DVD+R
FAR various cd wallets

these are what i scored over the thursday-saturday span. pretty sweet considering i didn't set foot into any of the stores. raked up about $1500 in CC bills though...

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: allisolm

I hate to break it to you, but unless you are getting paid to do something else during the time you would have spent shopping, in which case you couldn't be shopping anyway, your time IS worth nothing, as is mine and everybody else's.

I think when people talk about "their time worth" they refer to the process & effort of obtaining the sales item vs. relaxing in comfort of your home. In your case, you made the right choice of not trying to camp out and compete with other shoppers for BB's laptops & LCDs and go for items which are in much less demand and therefore the actual time needed for waiting in line is much shorter. Smart shoppers would try to do as much as home as possible and go for items that are less in demand and store with generally less traffics (ie store with MIR vs. instant rebates).
Although I would say the actual BF savings is comparing the sales price within the last couple weeks and not comparing to the retail/mall store price.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Let see:

I have a bunch of $2, $3, and $5 DVD movies <too much too list>, clothes that are 50 to 80% off, $100 Nintendo DS for my nephew, FAR DV tapes, $3AR SD card, toys, $30 DVD burner which I will sell for at least 50% markup, $15 TV DVDs, Barbie toys for my nieces. That's about it.

BF is getting more crowd every year in my area.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I got up at 6:30 (my normal time) and got a $199 gaming table from Sears, then purchased DVDs and the 1GB Sandisk mp3 player from Best Buy. That is pretty much all I wanted. I scored a $300 clearance deal on a laptop from Walmart about 2 weeks ago so I wasn't worried about getting on on BF.

mrizvi66

Dec 16, 2005
BB:
2 32" Westinghouse TV's for 599 each after the manager auto price matched somewhere from 899 each...this was around 10am....
2GB transflash card for a Cingular 8525 for $99

Cingular Store:
a Cingular 8525 for $549 - $50 off regular price

Macy's:
$300 Alfaini Long coat for $118...Shoes for $49

Old Navy:
8 Thermal Shirts for $80

KB Toys:
3 Identical Barbies for Sister (7), Cousin (8) and Sister's BFF (7) $11

edit:
Express Men:
3 Boxers for 30
1 Shirt for 20
1 Skull cap for FREE!!! YES!!!!

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Fry's:

Canon Pixma something all in one printer: $17
USB cable for printer: $3.00
Panasonic MP3/CD player for my car: $67
Dirt Devil vacuum: $27 (For the misses)

Copelands:

Ride Fleetwood board with Ride LX Bindings (2006-2007 model) $350

I didn't buy much but pretty much went to Fry's and Copelands to get what I wanted on BF.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I spent friday and saturday digging a 250' ditch (and filling it back in) to lay new wire to my well pump. Hit Lowe's for the wire and stuff and got my dad a 70 dollar wet/dry shop vac for 29 bucks.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
I spent friday and saturday digging a 250' ditch (and filling it back in) to lay new wire to my well pump. Hit Lowe's for the wire and stuff and got my dad a 70 dollar wet/dry shop vac for 29 bucks.

Serena,

Please tell me you didn't do that by hand? Oregon isn't that far from me..i'll come down and kick you in the butt if you did :p

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
Originally posted by: Bryophyte

Serena,

Please tell me you didn't do that by hand? Oregon isn't that far from me..i'll come down and kick you in the butt if you did :p

I didn't say I dug it all by hand. :p We've got a tractor. But we had to do some of it by hand because the last 30' were on a steep hillside (fortunately the soil was very soft), and we didn't want to hit the water pipe, so we had to dig some at the bottom of the trench the tractor made by hand, with a shovel.

Glad I'm done, we got snow last night. :beer:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Glad you got that done. Did the old wire quit on you? Our class B well for the 4 houses did that once. One leg of the 240v was going to ground a bit, it only had 70 volts. One of the neighbors installed it without conduit, then drove his loaded logging truck across it for years. Needless to say, that section is in pipe now:)

SuPrEIVIE

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2003
Footlocker 40% off some jordans 55$, Memorex printable 50pc DVDs 10$, memorex DVDDL 25pcs 25$, CD/DVD 256 case 10$

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking
Glad you got that done. Did the old wire quit on you? Our class B well for the 4 houses did that once. One leg of the 240v was going to ground a bit, it only had 70 volts. One of the neighbors installed it without conduit, then drove his loaded logging truck across it for years. Needless to say, that section is in pipe now:)

Yep. We're thinking that the previous owner might've nicked the wire when he installed it about five years or so ago, and it took awhile for it to corrode. There was still a little current flowing through it at the pump end, under 45v on a 120v line.

We were able to get water (which is staged to a 1500 gallon holding tank) by running extension cords down there for long enough to refill the tank (for our own sanity), but that was a short term fix. At least we had the foresight to put plugs on each pump instead of hardwiring it. The real emergency was that our heat tapes needed to be up and running before the really cold weather hits on Tuesday.

The worst part of it all was that I was in the middle of a shower when the water stopped flowing, on Thanksgiving morning, right before we left for my parents' house. :|

Ok, I'm done with this thread-hijack. :eek:

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
20" LCD TV from Meijer - $69 AR + 10% for opening CC.
400GB External My Book - $99 AR
60GB 2.5" External Maxtor OneTouch - $39 AR

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Originally posted by: n7
We don't have Black Friday sales or Thanksgiving in November up north ;)

So this morning i was dancing my ass off @ Fever to the sounds of Cosmic Gate.

I came home around 3.30am.

Woke up not too long ago :D

We get the joy of Boxing Day. I remember working at Future Shop last BD, and when the doors opened @ 6AM, it was a ZOO. There were about 5 people in line at 5am, everyone got there a little later.

If i have cash this year, i'll see about getting some stuff at boxing day.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Pffft, i did all my shopping ONLINE during BF, or the day before. Some of it's going to ebay to make a profit, and some of it's for me. :)

Xbox 360 Premium, $340
2yr extended warranty, $30
Gears of War, $50
NBA 2K7, $40
Xbox Vision + 1yr Live subscription, $40

Logitech VX Revolution x 3, $30 ea
Seagete Momentus 80GB x 3, $55 ea
Avertv Dual Tuner 500 MCE, $112
Sandisk Cruzer 2GB, $30
Canon AIO Printer, $30

my amex card got ownd this week, lol.