So how's that gun prohibition working for you Brits?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
yeap gun crime compared to the US is far down. now...knife crime is far far higher. but they are working on that now.

people need to get over the fact a gun/knife/bat was involved in a crime. a person who is going to commit a crime does not care what he needs to use to get what he wants.

This is the correct answer.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
you still can get weapons illegally or steal them.
The difference is that it's more difficult to get, and the average joe doesn't have one.
If there's a gun around you there are higher chances of you using it in a heated argument.

and anyway in london they stab each other with knives, but it takes more balls to penetrate someone with a knife.

I asked on this forum about the relationship of the number of guns and the number of people getting shot. Someone said that if there were half the number of guns more people would get shot. So expect to get flamed for your post.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
No one in their right mind believes that a few handguns are going to do shit against the military. You people live in another century.

You realize that the military is primarily comprised of the kind of nuts that believe in gun rights and the people's right to overthrow a tyrannical government, right?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
You realize that the military is primarily comprised of the kind of nuts that believe in gun rights and the people's right to overthrow a tyrannical government, right?

So you really think the US military will commit treason and turn it's back on centuries of service to Democracy to back a coup of old white foxnews/talk radio watchers who don't like the black president?

cool story bro

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So you really think the US military will commit treason and turn it's back on centuries of service to Democracy to back a coup of old white foxnews/talk radio watchers who don't like the black president?

cool story bro

Of course not, but if a large percentage of the country was behind it (say 1/3 or more) I can see some of the military defecting. I'm basing this number on the fact that it was roughly 1/3 of the country who actively fought during the Revolutionary War.

Of course, that isn't going to happen unless things get at least 30x worse than they are, but it's nice to know that the possibility is there. The more guns the better IMO. Mandatory training and licensing would be ideal, but since guns (and to an extent, gun owners) have such a negative stereotype the slippery slope is all too real.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
No one in their right mind believes that a few handguns are going to do shit against the military. You people live in another century.

Depends how we fight the resistance. If we fight with one hand tied behind our back like Afghanistan no problem. The insurgents with sniper/hunting rifles alone will make US troops sit at home. Would only take about 200,000 of them. Oh and their are ~25 million hunting/sniper rifles out there. And 80% go right through armor like butter. Not something I'm getting out of my tank for how about you? Hard to protect tanks from EFPs w/o infantry over-watch.

If OTOH, USA levels whole cities of resistance, gases rural areas, leave scorched earth behind them like Grant did, put families of resistive areas in concentration camps and torture and kill them until insurgents surrender..no problem USA wins quickly.

Last edited:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Crime statistics aren't exactly reliable in Europe, and especially the UK. They're like Greek debt statistics - completely made up. That's the culture of European governments.

Peasants aren't allowed to have weapons. It's as simple as that. Crime statistics be damned.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah!! Wouldn't happen in the US. Here the police shoot people BEFORE they have a chance to get out a gun and shoot other people. Called "preemptive police shooting". Sometimes the police even shoot the right guy, not often but I am sure it happens. Where I live the police shoot people all the time.

Look at a policeman in the eye, ... get shot.
Touch a police vehicle, ... get shot.
Try to commit suicide, ... get shot to protect you from yourself.
Go towards a policeman with a soda bottle, ... get shot.
Go to a gay bar and get in an argument with an off duty policeman, .... get shot.
Married to a policeman who wants a divorce, ... get shot.

We don't need civilian crazies with guns to cause shooting sprees! We have the police to do that.

By and large, no.

Remember that shooting spree 2 months ago?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/06/02/uk.england.shootings/index.html

That guy was driving around and the local police were unable to do anything to him as he killed at will.

"Police in Cumbria have claimed they were powerless to stop Derrick Bird’s killing spree after disclosing how the taxi driver shot dead 10 of his victims within an hour. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...a-chance-to-stop-Derrick-Bird-say-police.html

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
When you compare the casualty counts, pretty damn well.

My point was it's still going on 8 years later using tactics he describes as working or something to be feared.

\
Depends how we fight the resistance. If we fight with one hand tied behind our back like Afghanistan no problem. The insurgents with sniper/hunting rifles alone will make US troops sit at home. Would only take about 200,000 of them. Oh and their are ~25 million hunting/sniper rifles out there. And 80% go right through armor like butter. Not something I'm getting out of my tank for how about you? Hard to protect tanks from EFPs w/o infantry over-watch.

If OTOH, USA levels whole cities of resistance, gases rural areas, leave scorched earth behind them like Grant did, put families of resistive areas in concentration camps and torture and kill them until insurgents surrender..no problem USA wins quickly.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
And when someone does go on a shooting spree, the police are unable to stop them since they do not carry weapons. Thats what happened a few weeks ago, that guy was shooting people left and right and the police could do nothing about it.

Funny. My next door neighbour works for the Metropolitan Police and is Armed with an AR every day. Clueless troll is clueless?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_hom_wit_fir-crime-gun-violence-homicides-firearms

Oh, look, where is the UK on that list? :awe:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Funny. My next door neighbour works for the Metropolitan Police and is Armed with an AR every day. Clueless troll is clueless?

Clueless poster is clueless. It has already been discussed in this thread how certain police units in Britain are armed. The average cop on the street is not, and these cops were unable to stop that shooter.

Just because your neighbor carries a firearm, that means all cops in Britain do? lol

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Clueless poster is clueless. It has already been discussed in this thread how certain police units in Britain are armed. The average cop on the street is not, and these cops were unable to stop that shooter.

Just because your neighbor carries a firearm, that means all cops in Britain do? lol

Are you aware that Moat was hunted down by Armed police? Obviously not. Clueless troll keeps showing cluelessness. :hmm:

This thread is just pro-gun bullshit and you're the biggest bullshitter. The amount of gun rampages in the UK pales into insignificance when compared to the US. We've had two incidences close to each other, with only one being classed as a rampage, as Moat killed one person, Bird killed 12. To find a similar case you need to go back to 1996 for Dunblane, or 1987 for Hungerford. Three cases in a 23 year period. I don't think I have time to count up how many you've experienced in your perfect idle of gun control nirvana in the same time period.

Jog on and find another Daily Mail tin foil hat to wear.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Are you aware that Moat was hunted down by Armed police? Obviously not. Clueless troll keeps showing cluelessness. :hmm:

This thread is just pro-gun bullshit and you're the biggest bullshitter.

Boy, you sure are upset at me. lol, calm down man.

Are you denying that when this rampage was happening, the local police were unable to stop him and had to call in the special unit that had firearms?

Also, can you deny that your crime rose after the gun ban?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
I'm not upset at you, why should I be? You're nobody.

Can you deny that this thread is based on nothing more than plain spin and bullshit? Also 1 dead !=rampage, just sayin'...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Can you deny that this thread is based on nothing more than plain spin and bullshit? Also 1 dead !=rampage, just sayin'...

Weak deflection, can you answer his question or would that not fit your sad attempt at attacking him?

try it again ...

Are you denying that when this rampage was happening, the local police were unable to stop him and had to call in the special unit that had firearms?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

How many US troops do you think would stay fighting in the military if they were bombing their hometowns? Me thinks TheDregUnderYouBed lives in a state controlled dream world where our military isn't comprised of citizens from all walks of life, from all areas of the country, and would turn on their homeland for the glory of the state.

Last edited:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

And just who the fuck are you? A somebody?

If a gunman shot 150 people, but none of them died, you wouldnt call that a rampage? :rolleyes:

Great job just attacking me and not answering my questions. You win

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
And just who the fuck are you? A somebody?

If a gunman shot 150 people, but none of them died, you wouldnt call that a rampage? :rolleyes:

Great job just attacking me and not answering my questions. You win

You're poorly executed questions are laughable and have no point but to troll. Troll on at a gun fourm, or better yet, go and stroke your barrel, if you're not already.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Weak deflection, can you answer his question or would that not fit your sad attempt at attacking him?

try it again ...
Did US police stop any of these rampages? (These are just school massacres, ordinary massacres are left out for now, also just a ten year span)

October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.
April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself
September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin
November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators
March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself
May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland
April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself
March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students
February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan
November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico
May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia
April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado
June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage
May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon
April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania
March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas
December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky
October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

Guess not. Argue your point in light of that evidence, I'd like to see it. You will, but not for the point of truth, but just for the fun of arguing online. You have no point, except for rabble rousing with your fellow pro-gun pre-massacre online nutjob bedfellow.