So, ATOT, what are you planning on spending the 3rd round of Coronabucks on?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
With Joe Biden pushing for another round of Coronavirus stimulus checks, I guess that now is a good time to think about how to spend that $1,400 if you happen to live in the US and aren't making over $100K a year.

The last stimulus payment landed in my bank account in early January, so it just ended up paying off my Christmas credit card bills. Boring! I'll bet that many people were in the same boat as I am. For something that was supposed to be a "stimulus" check, it's timing sucked. Let's hope that the next round lands around mid-March, so we can combine it with our tax refund check and get something cool.

Maybe I'll buy some upgraded wheels for my Mustang. Or, maybe I'll invest it in Bitcoin if the price comes back to a reasonable level by then. I'm looking for some ideas. What's your plan?

Reactions: Kaido

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The rational thing to do is put it in some investment vehicle(stocks, index funds, gold, whatever) or "speculatory assets"(i.e bitcoin) and gamble on future appreciation.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I put the $600 check towards a bigger TV, since so much of my time is spent indoors due to covid and winter it seemed like a good purchase. The $1400 check, if it happens, will probably go to more day to day stuff. Bills, food and set some aside for going on outdoor dining dates in the city, put some money back into mom & pop restaurants and their staff and feed the local economy a bit.

Reactions: Captante

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Who knows, maybe nothing... Maybe a new water heater

I won't be getting the full amount because we've had a baby since our 2019 tax returns, so I have another dependent I'm not getting paid for. I don't think there's a way to fix it now, the website basically just said you'll be able to fix it on your next tax return, which for the 3rd round will be the 2021 taxes

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Still haven't gotten the last one. I can't think of a single thing I want I can't just go out and buy today. There aren't even any frivolous purchases I want that "free" money would enable.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Maybe I'll buy some upgraded wheels for my Mustang.

I'm about 3 years overdue on this lol. I still have the stock 18's. I'm trying to rationalize it by telling myself I'll get a second set with winter tires on them, which will also reduce wear & tear on my stock tires...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Let's wait and see if the Republicans, who have remembered that they're supposed to be fiscally responsible now that a Dem is president, actually let it happen.

IF it does...I'll probably fence my back yard. The attempted coyote attack on my dogs the other day was too close for comfort.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
My wife and I both got the checks so:

First checks I bought a top of the line Mac mini and the materials to change my stairs from carpet to wood.

Second checks is paying for moving my fence up 28’ and then redoing the front to board on board.

Third check will go to paying to reconfigure my master bath/master bed by adding a 4’x4’ linen closet and moving the bathroom door and replacing it with a farmhouse door.

The bigger stimulus is by far the student loan deferments. Each month still counts towards my wife and I loan forgiveness so it’s essentially free money. We have used that money to pay off all our CC debt.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, I used my first stimulus check to get my wife and I new laptops. She needed one for remote learning, and I just wanted a new Macbook to replace my old one :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you're due the 2nd and didn't/don't get it, I've been told that you file for a credit on your taxes.

yeah, I'm currently in that situation. thanks for the reminder. I saw that mine was scheduled for the mail on Jan 6th, still nothing. Could be postal constipation, which has been serious thing for at least 2 months now across the nation, according to some postal goon on NBC national news last week (I've got an international package still hanging out in Jamaica, NY, for 2+ weeks now, waiting for a plane?).

The W2s for the year are starting to trickle in, which means it's time to open up spreadsheets and worksheets and crap, and work on the taxes that I didn't pay, lol.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Already built myself a long overdue gaming rig upgrade including a "scalped" *3080 FE from a local ebay seller.

*(sorry not sorry?)

Planning on saving/investing half and putting the balance into my car.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Some kind of home project or an appliance. Trying to at least spend it on something American made but that's become increasingly difficult with appliances. Last check I used on an American made dishwasher. Kind of defeats the purpose of the US government writing me a check to stimulate the economy if I'm going to take the money and send it directly to China.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I am privileged: I don't base my spending on the amount that comes in. I have the means to base my spending on what I need and want at the time. Thus, I will not do anything different if I get a stimulus check.

This will likely languish in the checking account to eventually be used to buy some stock fund. That stock fund will one day be donated to the needy or inherited by my nieces/nephew. I can't quite tell what will happen to the money after that.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I am privileged: I don't base my spending on the amount that comes in. I have the means to base my spending on what I need and want at the time. Thus, I will not do anything different if I get a stimulus check.

This will likely languish in the checking account to eventually be used to buy some stock fund. That stock fund will one day be donated to the needy or inherited by my nieces/nephew. I can't quite tell what will happen to the money after that.
If nothing else, if you don't care about the money, you could use it order food from local restaurants and have it delivered to assisted living facilities, shelters, etc. Then you can help the needy and support restaurants in a trying time that's happening now, instead of being "one day" donated to the needy, or inherited :)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Come on man... this is stimmy money! You're supposed to spend it on something frivolous to boost the economy... or something.