Question Slow Ethernet speed

sshorab

Jul 28, 2022
My Router ethernet speed is really slow, when I use FAST.com to measure the speed it hovers around 500 kbps or less. But weirdly the upload speed is 40 Mbps. Furthermore when I connect to the Wi-Fi the internet speed is normal as usual. What could be the cause for the slow speed on my ethernet?

Router D-link DIR-600M
Hardware version:C1
Firmware version: 3.08

Attachments

• Fast.png
    Fast.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 9

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
So, let's start with the fact this is running N and not even AC let alone AX at this point it's probably time to replace it with something more recent as DLINK doesn't even have a page for it on their site any longer.

fast.com isn't the end all be all of speed testing though and probably the least informative option out there. Look for something that does HTML5 like speakeasy.net

So, your UL is a million times faster than your DL. I ran into this recently with my server with a AX210 WIFI card running Linux and it baffled me but, I found a workaround to disable the AX brought the DL speed up from 6mps to 866mbps which is the top end for AC. Without it disabled though the UL speed was gig+

What machine / os / wifi card / etc. makes a difference. When you bypass the DLINK are your speeds what you expect? If they're still slow then it's probably with the ISP or the PC you're using.

1659017317066.png
1659017402783.png

Give them a shot for testing and bypass the DL and also test while plugged in to see if there's a difference.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Your ethernet cable likely needs to be replaced.

I'll also second that that router sounds old and in need of replacement as well. Shouldn't be running anything older than "AC" / wifi 5, unless you have special requirements ("legacy" hardware need access).

sshorab

Jul 28, 2022
Thank you all for the kind info's.

My ethernet cable is pretty new, I've purchased it recently. I've tried all measures there is, most likely my router is pretty old and in need of replacement. The LAN ports are all acting the same way regardless of what I try. Probably the LAN ports are faulty or something.

Thanks again all.

sshorab

Jul 28, 2022
Ok, I've just installed a brand new router but I'm facing the same issue.

New router is
Tenda AC5 AC1200

Attachments

• test1.PNG
    test1.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
  • test2 wifi.PNG
    test2 wifi.PNG
    40.2 KB · Views: 9

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
So, the cable & router have been swapped which leaves the NIC. If the NIC isn't gigabit then that explains the 100mbps link but, if it is gigabit then there's some issue with it whether physical or driver.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
In Device Manager, advanced settings for the NIC, try forcing the link speed. I'd start with 10 full and work up.

I've seen an issue occasionally with certain NICs and "gigabit capable" routers whereby if the NIC links automatically at 1gbps then the actual throughput is rubbish. Force it to 100 full and it works exactly as it should.

Reactions: mxnerd

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If you look at mxnerd post #6 it indicate 1GB connection.

Tech J boast with 5G connection.

This speed sare not the real speed of the flow in the Network, they are the teoretical capacity of the Network card.

Your card indicate (post #9) 100Mb/sec. I.e., 10 times slower than MX and 50 time then Tech.

So. configure correctly the Network's cards (wire and wireless) on your computer and make sure that it say there at least 1GB.

In my systems I always uncheck the QoS and the IPv6. But that might depends specifically on some of your needs (if any).

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
@Tech Junky

I can get 10G in virtual environment. :D

==

Well, I don't really need super fast ethernet speed for home environment,

at least for the moment. All I do is configurations.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I saw something like this once with a UPS's supposed ethernet protection. I bypassed it and then suddenly the server had expected speeds. Both cables on both sides of the UPS's supposed protection were tested individually to be fine; I assumed it was the UPS itself.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Do you have any other device connected to your router by cable? If its speed is normal (you should get close to your internet speed but below 100 Mbps since your router is only 100Mbps), then it is your computer configuration that is the problem. I would wire a laptop to the router to check the speed. What is your internet speed anyways?

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah what are the specs of the computer, and what is your ISP?