Should Biden agree to debate Trump?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What on earth? He has a well documented history of being a lifelong stutterer. And I *do* actually agree that his stutter has gotten worse over the last several years. But the crap that's singled out as being evidence of his cognitive decline is still classic stuttering coping.

I didn't write this ... but I pretty much could have:

Biden was a stutterer as a child. He may have some remnant as an adult. However, stuttering doesn't just worsen with age, unless there is something like head trauma or a stroke.

Biden is having "senior moments." Standing on stage and saying that Mosely Braun was the only African American woman ever in the Senate when Kamala Harris is standing right next to you is not a stutter. And so many other things which cannot possibly be explained as stuttering.

I've seen both dementia (father) and ordinary cognitive decline (mother). Biden's resembles the latter, not the former. Same with Trump.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Biden was a stutterer as a child. He may have some remnant as an adult. However, stuttering doesn't just worsen with age, unless there is something like head trauma or a stroke.
It never goes away entirely, and it doesn't necessarily require trauma to worsen with age.

Biden is having "senior moments." Standing on stage and saying that Mosely Braun was the only African American woman ever in the Senate when Kamala Harris is standing right next to you is not a stutter. And so many other things which cannot possibly be explained as stuttering.
That example, I'll readily admit was a plain and simple brain fart. In contrast though, the time he "forgot" Obama's name was a really blatant example of a stutterer hitting a block and circumlocuting to get around it.

Feb 4, 2009
Biden is not a stutterer. I fail to see how that is a viable conclusion here when his verbal gaffes have gotten worse over the years. The fact it's gotten worse means it's age related. I doubt it's dementia, either. It's probably just ordinary cognitive decline, which we've also seen from Trump, based on comparing his speech from decades ago with now.

Biden has said on TV that he has a stutter and practices to keep it in check. This is well known, Biden doesn't hide it.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I see no advantage for Biden to "debate" Drumpf. If it were an actual debate, then yes, but Trump has no clue what a debate is.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Biden has said on TV that he has a stutter and practices to keep it in check. This is well known, Biden doesn't hide it.

The majority of Biden's gaffes simply can't be explained by stuttering. Nor can the apparent increase in prevalence of them. I have Googled extensively since we started this discussion and can't find a scientific source which says that stuttering worsens with age, unless by trauma or stroke.

Feb 4, 2009
The majority of Biden's gaffes simply can't be explained by stuttering. Nor can the apparent increase in prevalence of them. I have Googled extensively since we started this discussion and can't find a scientific source which says that stuttering worsens with age, unless by trauma or stroke.

Sure. Ok. Then vote for the Orange Menace.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sure. Ok. Then vote for the Orange Menace.

If you read what I said earlier about both Biden and Trump experiencing cognitive decline as they age, you would realize what a fantastically stupid reply that was. I don't have to accept a narrative about Biden being a stutterer to prefer Biden over Trump.

And while we're at it, I'd prefer a hamster over Trump, which once again underscores how fantastically stupid that reply was.

Feb 4, 2009
If you read what I said earlier about both Biden and Trump experiencing cognitive decline as they age, you would realize what a fantastically stupid reply that was. I don't have to accept a narrative about Biden being a stutterer to prefer Biden over Trump.

And while we're at it, I'd prefer a hamster over Trump, which once again underscores how fantastically stupid that was reply was.

It is not a stupid reply.
You have three choices

Choice one:
2nd term for the President

Choice two:
Joe Biden

Choice three:
Don't vote or toss your vote away on a 3rd party

Pretty simple stuff to figure out. Especially since Choice three is off the table. This is an either or question.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You have three choices

Choice one:

Choice two:
Joe Biden

Choice three:

Pretty simple stuff to figure out.

This thread has nothing to do with who I'm going to vote for. Yet it's already clear from a high percentage of my last 2000 posts here who that will be. Yeah, your reply was completely absurd.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

And while we're at it, I'd prefer a hamster over Trump, which once again underscores how fantastically stupid that was reply was.

It’s about as dumb of a reply as stating that Biden isn’t a stutterer when there is a documented history of it and Biden has spoken about it in the distant past.

Do you think Biden is invoking an elaborate con here that spans decades? That’s some Barack Obama birth certificate conspiracy theory level stupidity right there.

What’s wrong with you?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It’s about as dumb of a reply as stating that Biden isn’t a stutterer when there is a documented history of it and Biden has spoken about it in the distant past.

Do you think Biden is invoking an elaborate con here that spans decades? That’s some Barack Obama birth certificate conspiracy theory level stupidity right there.

What’s wrong with you?

As I already said, Biden may still have some remnants of childhood stuttering, but it doesn't explain the majority of his gaffes, and it doesn't explain the worsening with age.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
In fairness, my comment on it seeming to have worsened with age is an *extremely* subjective impression. And I'm not saying all of Biden's gaffes are a result of his stuttering. I'm saying a very specific subset like his "forgetting" Obama's name and "forgetting" the Declaration of Independence are really very obvious examples of him engaging in stuttering coping mechanisms despite their being used as supposed evidence of his cognitive decline.

I hope y'all can appreciate that the reason I get so salty about this (and I know I do and I apologize) is that I very much have done the exact same sort of stuff my entire life and it's hard not to see "his circumlocuting is a sign of dementia" as a personal attack. Even though rationally, I know that's not how it's intended.

An excellent thread on the topic with specific examples:

Reactions: Paratus

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My guess is that Biden, as a liberal, will want to debate, believing as liberals do in the fact that being more rational will matter to people. It won't in my opinion but perhaps the decision to debate or not will be made for him, either by Trump or his own advisors. Personally, I think he will win either way. If I were to debate Trump I would do nothing but insult him as a traitor and mention that if he manages to become a dictator the first thing he will do is take people's guns and invite Russian troops in to do the taking.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You have three choices

Choice one:

Choice two:
Joe Biden

Choice three:

Pretty simple stuff to figure out. Especially since Choice three is off the table. This is an either or question.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
My guess is that Biden, as a liberal, will want to debate, believing as liberals do in the fact that being more rational will matter to people. It won't in my opinion but perhaps the decision to debate or not will be made for him, either by Trump or his own advisors. Personally, I think he will win either way. If I were to debate Trump I would do nothing but insult him as a traitor and mention that if he manages to become a dictator the first thing he will do is take people's guns and invite Russian troops in to do the taking.

At this point, I personally think Biden will lose. Biden, at this point, doesn't want to take a stand beyond media manipulation. He s riding the media narrative or the DNC narrative and staying as neutral as possible regarding current affairs. Unless he comes out with original ideas hes toast. Imo of course. I actually doubt he'll be in place in November.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What on earth? He has a well documented history of being a lifelong stutterer. That's an unequivocal truth.

So far as it goes, I *do* actually agree that his stutter has gotten worse over the last several years. But the crap that's singled out as being evidence of his cognitive decline is still classic stuttering coping behavior.

Facts don't change their concerns... remember how they chumped out for Tara? That was a thing to behold, huh? The rest of it is pretty much the same.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
At this point, I personally think Biden will lose. Biden, at this point, doesn't want to take a stand beyond media manipulation. He s riding the media narrative or the DNC narrative and staying as neutral as possible regarding current affairs. Unless he comes out with original ideas hes toast. Imo of course. I actually doubt he'll be in place in November.

That's extremely ill informed. You could start with this-

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just my opinion too. Hopefully we will be here to see.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That's extremely ill informed. You could start with this-

It isn’t easy with all the force that is being applied to divide us today to have confidence that Trump will fail. We hate ourselves and deep down feel we deserve him. We can’t allow ourselves to see this is the source of our pessimism and what the forces who seek to divide use to do it.

Reactions: ch33zw1z