Sequels that far surpassed CRAPTASTIC original games, *NOT GOOD ORIGINALS*

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Rakewell, Jan 17, 2013.

1. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

System Shock 1 was a fantastic game. Way ahead of anything that was released at the time. I really enjoyed if back then. As far as a gameplay comparison, I would put System Shock 1 above System Shock 2.

2. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

I just went through this thread. There are mountains of posts I completely disagree with. Sure there are plenty of sequals that are better than the original, but many of these posts are flat out wrong when calling the original "craptastic". The only ones I've seen in this thead that may have some truth to it are Dune and perhaps MechWarrior.

I'm thinking some of these sequals mentioned here are the beginning points of the posters PC gaming history. Rose colored glasses and so forth.

#102 AdamK47, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. Agent11

Agent11 Diamond Member

wut, the original shogun:total war was awesome. same with medieval: total war.

4. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

Hey no argument there, I think it's fun for casuals and more accessible. I like how you picked up on hats and ignored my other examples like crits and ubers. :/ Anyway, I think we can all agree that TF and TFC weren't the "not good" games that the OP was looking for.

5. micrometers

micrometers Diamond Member

Mass Effect 2
    Dragon Age 2

6. sactoking

sactoking Diamond Member

I'm surprised two people said Daggerfall, because that game was complete trash. There were so many bugs that it wasn't even worth booting because the first quest you got after leaving the opening dungeon was borked.

7. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

You're saying that Dragon Age 2 is better than Dragon Age?

8. surfsatwerk

surfsatwerk Lifer

He's either trolling or wrong.

9. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

I think karmy actually does believe it. I've noticed that every single thing he likes about a game is something that I feel the opposite about, and vice versa.

10. S4NDM4N

S4NDM4N Junior Member

This thread, I assume, is only for PC games but I thought Tekken 2 was a lot better than the original.

The graphics were a big improvement at the time and there was just so much replay value with the introduction of all the new modes.

11. Zorander

Zorander Golden Member

How is Dragon Age: Origins crap? Explain.

12. Dankk

Dankk Diamond Member

karmypolitics is a pretty well-established troll 'round these parts. :p Nothing new to see here.

13. byteman99

byteman99 Member

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but it is really difficult to come up with a game that was really bad and then somehow got a sequel. I've seen many examples of games that were decent or a little sub par. But those games usually had something that was done right in the first place to warrant a sequel. Usually if a game is straight out bad, it probably wont get a sequel.

14. byteman99

byteman99 Member

I said the same thing. A bunch of these games people listed here are not crappy games. What is wrong with you people?

15. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

Pretty much this. No sane developer/publisher would make a sequel off of a "craptastic" game.

16. arkcom

arkcom Golden Member

The OP was originally about "Mediocre" originals. Average, neither good nor bad.

17. Axon

Axon Platinum Member

Street Fighter (the original) was not a particularly good game. It was more gimmicky than anything; you may recall that some of the original cabinets had huge buttons that you could pound on, and depending on how hard you hit, that's how hard your ken or ryu would hit. http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9803 That subsequently needed to be changed because it barely worked. Also, the dragon punch essentially made you invincible.

#117 Axon, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  18. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

Section 8 - it's first person shooter, primarily focused area objective-based multiplayer combat.

the follow up was Section 8: Prejudice. I thoroughly enjoyed both games. Sadly neither had very much of a multiplayer community.

19. Chaotic42

Chaotic42 Lifer

From what I can tell, I'm the only human being alive with this opinion, but I thought D2 was a major downgrade from D1. I didn't care for the level structure, the levels seemed less random, it didn't have a claustrophobic feel to it... But like I said, I think I'm the only one. :p

I'd have to with GTA 2 -> GTA 3 and DukeNukem -> Duke3D.

GTA 2 wasn't all that bad, but compared to GTA 3 it can't hold a candle IMO.

20. StrangerGuy

StrangerGuy Diamond Member

Can't think of anything that qualifies for the thread title really. Even if D2 was vastly better than D1, the latter wasn't crap by a long mile.

21. micrometers

micrometers Diamond Member

No, I"m right.

DA2 was so much better all around than DA1. DA1 was plodding, took itself too seriously, had a stupid "save the world from mindless horde" plot.

DA2 was more interesting with the story and it had a much better combat system.

22. surfsatwerk

surfsatwerk Lifer

:awe:

23. Martimus

Martimus Diamond Member

I agree that D2 was worse than D1. Or more it was almost exactly the same, and since I had played D1 to death, D2 felt old and boring from the first playthrough.

24. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

lulz

25. Borealis7

Borealis7 Platinum Member

oh another one! Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was FAR better than the first game.