Sequels that far surpassed CRAPTASTIC original games, *NOT GOOD ORIGINALS*

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
System Shock 1 was a fantastic game. Way ahead of anything that was released at the time. I really enjoyed if back then. As far as a gameplay comparison, I would put System Shock 1 above System Shock 2.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just went through this thread. There are mountains of posts I completely disagree with. Sure there are plenty of sequals that are better than the original, but many of these posts are flat out wrong when calling the original "craptastic". The only ones I've seen in this thead that may have some truth to it are Dune and perhaps MechWarrior.

I'm thinking some of these sequals mentioned here are the beginning points of the posters PC gaming history. Rose colored glasses and so forth.

Last edited:

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
wut, the original shogun:total war was awesome. same with medieval: total war.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I do find it amusing that people who crap on TF2 just bring up the hats. I play relatively often and I don't see anyone really caring about hats, people play to have fun, which is what I do (of course I do change my gear on occasion, I am only human after all :D ). I'm sure there are more "hardcore" servers out there where people can try to play competitively, but I have zero interest in a competitive version of Team Fortress.

I agree it is a more casual game, but that's what I love about it. I can jump on and play for twenty minutes, then shut it down and walk away. Having to play for hours at a time is why I do not play as many games these days as I used to. It's a different game, it does not make it a worse one. It's damn, damn fun as I said before.

KT

Hey no argument there, I think it's fun for casuals and more accessible. I like how you picked up on hats and ignored my other examples like crits and ubers. :/ Anyway, I think we can all agree that TF and TFC weren't the "not good" games that the OP was looking for.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm surprised two people said Daggerfall, because that game was complete trash. There were so many bugs that it wasn't even worth booting because the first quest you got after leaving the opening dungeon was borked.

S4NDM4N

May 23, 2012
This thread, I assume, is only for PC games but I thought Tekken 2 was a lot better than the original.

The graphics were a big improvement at the time and there was just so much replay value with the introduction of all the new modes.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I think karmy actually does believe it. I've noticed that every single thing he likes about a game is something that I feel the opposite about, and vice versa.

karmypolitics is a pretty well-established troll 'round these parts. :p Nothing new to see here.

byteman99

Jan 10, 2009
I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but it is really difficult to come up with a game that was really bad and then somehow got a sequel. I've seen many examples of games that were decent or a little sub par. But those games usually had something that was done right in the first place to warrant a sequel. Usually if a game is straight out bad, it probably wont get a sequel.

byteman99

Jan 10, 2009
I just went through this thread. There are mountains of posts I completely disagree with. Sure there are plenty of sequals that are better than the original, but many of these posts are flat out wrong when calling the original "craptastic". The only ones I've seen in this thead that may have some truth to it are Dune and perhaps MechWarrior.

I'm thinking some of these sequals mentioned here are the beginning points of the posters PC gaming history. Rose colored glasses and so forth.

I said the same thing. A bunch of these games people listed here are not crappy games. What is wrong with you people?

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but it is really difficult to come up with a game that was really bad and then somehow got a sequel. I've seen many examples of games that were decent or a little sub par. But those games usually had something that was done right in the first place to warrant a sequel. Usually if a game is straight out bad, it probably wont get a sequel.

Pretty much this. No sane developer/publisher would make a sequel off of a "craptastic" game.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003

Street Fighter (the original) was not a particularly good game. It was more gimmicky than anything; you may recall that some of the original cabinets had huge buttons that you could pound on, and depending on how hard you hit, that's how hard your ken or ryu would hit. http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9803 That subsequently needed to be changed because it barely worked. Also, the dragon punch essentially made you invincible.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Section 8 - it's first person shooter, primarily focused area objective-based multiplayer combat.

the follow up was Section 8: Prejudice. I thoroughly enjoyed both games. Sadly neither had very much of a multiplayer community.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
No Mention of Diablo 2? Sure, D1 was good, but D2 easily set the standard for the series.

From what I can tell, I'm the only human being alive with this opinion, but I thought D2 was a major downgrade from D1. I didn't care for the level structure, the levels seemed less random, it didn't have a claustrophobic feel to it... But like I said, I think I'm the only one. :p

I'd have to with GTA 2 -> GTA 3 and DukeNukem -> Duke3D.

GTA 2 wasn't all that bad, but compared to GTA 3 it can't hold a candle IMO.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Can't think of anything that qualifies for the thread title really. Even if D2 was vastly better than D1, the latter wasn't crap by a long mile.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
He's either trolling or wrong.

No, I"m right.

DA2 was so much better all around than DA1. DA1 was plodding, took itself too seriously, had a stupid "save the world from mindless horde" plot.

DA2 was more interesting with the story and it had a much better combat system.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
From what I can tell, I'm the only human being alive with this opinion, but I thought D2 was a major downgrade from D1. I didn't care for the level structure, the levels seemed less random, it didn't have a claustrophobic feel to it... But like I said, I think I'm the only one. :p

I'd have to with GTA 2 -> GTA 3 and DukeNukem -> Duke3D.

GTA 2 wasn't all that bad, but compared to GTA 3 it can't hold a candle IMO.

I agree that D2 was worse than D1. Or more it was almost exactly the same, and since I had played D1 to death, D2 felt old and boring from the first playthrough.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
No, I"m right.

DA2 was so much better all around than DA1. DA1 was plodding, took itself too seriously, had a stupid "save the world from mindless horde" plot.

DA2 was more interesting with the story and it had a much better combat system.

lulz

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
oh another one! Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was FAR better than the first game.