Sequels that far surpassed CRAPTASTIC original games, *NOT GOOD ORIGINALS*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Red Storm said:
Team Fortress 2.

ughhhhh not another one. TFC was much better than this BS add game with hats. the current state of TF2 is a damn joke.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
ughhhhh not another one. TFC was much better than this BS add game with hats. the current state of TF2 is a damn joke.

It's damn fun is what it is. Damn, damn fun. I still play TF2 quite regularly and love it.

KT

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Absolutely not! TFC is wayy better than TF2. TFC actually required skill to be good at. I cant speak for QTF, as i never played it.
Watch some TF2 frag vids and get back to me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_6HDqddS64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8f2zTT1KqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXUw5qvWH80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKZSn3B9bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-z-W5lOoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYW4oBZsHxA

Roll it back to solly vs demo, then it'd be just about right. But you can't fault 'ol Gabe for raking in the moolah (in game V-day messages for $100 a pop?!)

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Thread is full of great sequels to games that were good...

To be fair craptastic games dont usually get sequels so if we stuck to that rule it would be a really short list.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 was a pretty unique game, but overall it wasn't a very good game (buggy, slow, horrible graphics, limited user interface). RCT2 was fantastic and is still popular among theme park simulation fans more than 12 years after it was published.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 was a pretty unique game, but overall it wasn't a very good game (buggy, slow, horrible graphics, limited user interface). RCT2 was fantastic and is still popular among theme park simulation fans more than 12 years after it was published.

RCT2 is almost identical to RCT1. I have probably 1000 hours into each of these.

The only decent response in this thread has been Street Fighter and that wasn't even a PC game.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
It's damn fun is what it is. Damn, damn fun. I still play TF2 quite regularly and love it.

KT

They wanted to make it accessible and succeeded, even going so far as to incorporate a "crits" system, but in the process the fanbase became more and more casual and less-skilled. I played TF since the Quake 1 mod days, and TF:C, and TF2, so I've played them all except the fan-made Fortress Forever. Case in point: Dead Ringer is so easily abused against typical players. Sometimes I switch to Pyro just to counter them properly because my team's noobie pyros suck too much to understand that the only way you can reliably kill the super-easily-abused DR is to light them up and blow them against a wall to immobilize them until the invulnerability expires. Stuff like that never happened in prior TF's because there was no super-easy-to-abuse DR bullcrap in the first place, and players were more hardcore back then so the average skill level was higher imho. Ditto situations like ubers and crits which didn't used to exist.

Although there's something to be said for accessibility, if a game gets jam packed full of casual fans vying to get hats or whatever, it turns off some of the hardcore players. When I still played TF2, I played to win, e.g., as a demoman on D my team almost always won because I would play very hardcore defense on capture points and carts instead of going for kills. I still ranked in the top 10 hlstatx globally all the time anyway. But I know a lot of people play casual or for stats, and it frustrates me. I used to play on two servers that was jam-packed with like-minded, very skilled players, but I think they no longer exist... not sure.. haven't played TF2 in a long time now.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
warcraft is the first that comes to mind

EDIT:

Half Life
Sniper Elite
Arma
Any total war game
Just Cause

Half Life and early TW games "craptastic"?

GTFO. Either you're a troll or 15 years old and never played any of those games CLOSE to when they were new.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Thread is full of great sequels to games that were good...

This. Really, people are listing Civilization 2 and SimCity 2000? Sim City Classic and Civilization 1 were both awesome games for their time. You're not old enough if you don't remember this.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I'll try and stick more to the real idea of the thread, with at least fairly average originals. Hard to come up with much though, for obvious reasons, even these few I came up with don't necessarily have bad originals.

Two Worlds II
Death To Spies: Moment of Truth
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Duke Nukem 3D

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
This. Really, people are listing Civilization 2 and SimCity 2000? Sim City Classic and Civilization 1 were both awesome games for their time. You're not old enough if you don't remember this.

Thank you!

People don't bother to read and see it as "Sequels that were better than the originals"

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I'd add Jedi Knight.

The original Dark Forces was mediocre and derivative at best. Jedi Knight was Game of the Year hands-down, blew the genre wide open, and one of the best action/adventure PC games of all-time, although it's quite dated now.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I don't know if this counts as sequel (it's not even the 2nd game in the franchise), but anyway:

Prince of Persia Sands of Time is a breath of fresh air compared to Prince of Persia 3D that came before it.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
KeithTalent said:
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin is miles better than the original game. I mean it's not even close.

KT

Came here to type that. The idea of the first game was good but the execution went horribly wrong. But the sequel. Wow.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
people is just naming the games they come to their minds...

its QUITE HARD to remember a bad game that had a good sequel... cause most of us probably didnt play the sequel if the 1st one was bad, or we might not even played the 1st one knowing it was bad

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
people is just naming the games they come to their minds...

its QUITE HARD to remember a bad game that had a good sequel... cause most of us probably didnt play the sequel if the 1st one was bad, or we might not even played the 1st one knowing it was bad

Not entirely true-

You can play the first, decide it's a POS, then read that the sequel was fantastic.

Then you buy said sequel, either outright or on a Steam sale, then play it and love it.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Not entirely true-

You can play the first, decide it's a POS, then read that the sequel was fantastic.

Then you buy said sequel, either outright or on a Steam sale, then play it and love it.

well..thats why i said its QUITE hard.... and i said MOST OF US.... i didnt say its impossible and i didnt say "everyone of us"

=P

what im trying to say is that i guess its ok if a lot of the games named are "good games" that become particularly better when the sequel came out