[SemiAccurate] Intel kills off the 10nm process

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2000
Intel added two cores to pretty much every chip in their lineup, finally giving Avg. Joe a solid reason to replace his Sandy Bridge dual-core laptop!
I think that's part of it. I also think a lot of people on Haswell and Broadwell-gen Xeons had active incentive to upgrade early to Skylake-SP due to Meltdown/Spectre (some of the worst performance hits, if I recall correctly, were on older platforms). I think the modems were part of it. I think the chipset shift was part of it. The picture isn't so simple as to say, "Hey Intel outperformed on total revenues, so clearly demand for 14nm is up". It is not that simple. If I had their unit numbers for client group in front of me, maybe I could add that to the picture.

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
Q3 YoY:
Laptop +8%
Desktop +1%
Server +15%

Feb 23, 2017
In a year where their server products got hit hard by design flaws that needed fixing, Intel still managed to get higher revenues from server customers. In other words, they profited from their choice to completely ignore security in their design choices.

Apr 27, 2000
In a year where their server products got hit hard by design flaws that needed fixing, Intel still managed to get higher revenues from server customers. In other words, they profited from their choice to completely ignore security in their design choices.
That's possible. Without having more data on who replaced hardware to get away from older platforms that took bigger hits from Spectre/Meltdown, it's hard to say exactly how much money they earned from poor design decisions.

Informative, but it still leaves some questions. I guess they get to hide their ODM numbers behind percentages (without knowing how many units they shipped in Q3 2017, we can't use the 15% increase to show how many units they shipped in Q3 2018). I still find it interesting that the two numbers under client group (notebook/laptop and desktop) fall below the revenue gain for the client computing group. 8%/1% vs. 16%. Intel definitely benefited from higher ASPs moreso than increased demand. Same for their server products.

ASK THE COMMUNITY