See if your antivirus software REALLY works

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
interesting thing happened.

on the other computer is Panda Titanium 2004 and it caught all the viruses in that zip.
on this computer i installed the demo of Panda Platinum and it missed 3 viruses.
then i uninstalled Platinum and installed Titanium and it caught all viruses.

weird. guess ill stick with just the regular AV and use a differetn firewall.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ludacris
Windows XP service pack 2 will enhance the built in firewall to the point where it is better than Zone Alarm (so I'm told). It should be released in June so that should suit you well. Hopefully, you already have a hardware firewall/router for some protection.

You defanitely need to buy an Antivirus product. It's pretty foolish not having one these days.
I've read that the SP2 firewall will ask you whether or not to allow an app to have net access, but it allows the apps to have access while it shows you the dialog box waiting for you to say no. Things don't look good now that the SP2 is in RC... it probably won't get fixed (though I hope it does). That's a pretty freaking retarded way to make a software firewall, IMHO. :(

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Windows XP service pack 2 will enhance the built in firewall to the point where it is better than Zone Alarm (so I'm told). It should be released in June so that should suit you well. Hopefully, you already have a hardware firewall/router for some protection.

It amazed me that MS thought ICF would be good for anything. It also seemed to play into their hands that it did nothing about outbound traffic. I'm placing my bet on nVidia's HW firewall in the nForce 3 250gb chipset. So far, I've read some really great things about it.

xts3

Oct 25, 2003
Norton AV 2004 autoprotect caught:

Win32.HLLW.Torve.B
Backdoor.Iroffer.1217.exe
Backdoor.amitis
BAT.Snoital
W32.Kifer

and a bunch of others and deleted them.

theuerkorn

Mar 25, 2004
Hmmm, only 3? I just downloaded it and Norton Antivirus totally went crazy about it. I think it had 5 or 6 different warnings. Once these were deleted, it also warned about a hacker software. Given the previous feedback, I wonder who got infected with this download if they only found 3.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
mine found:

backdoor.server.generic.exe
bat.kifer.b.bat
index[1].htm
trojan.dropper.kifer.b.exe
wbk1be.tmp
win32.torvil.b.exe

is that it?

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I had installed panda but had a few problems with crashes and had to go back to NAV. I hated the way panda scanned my email when I opened Outlook, and when I shut it off it I kept getting memory errors. Crashed my entire computer twice no BSOD, it just reset in the middle of doing nothing.

Ludacris

Oct 4, 2001
Here is the reply from mAcOdin

"Lol. Ok then. You can post this back at the other thread if you want.

I never told it to him to his face because I wasn't replying to his thread, I'm replying to the thread at rage3d not anandtech. I don't have an account there nor do I want one. Plus I'm sure he understands that even if I registered at anandtech and posted straight to him it still doesn't mean anything because it's the internet, it doesn't mean I'm tougher if I post in his thread he's still miles and miles away, normal "why don't you say that to my face" things don't really apply in the internet.

Anyways ServU. So he installed it and it opened a port, ok, then what? It's not hosting anything the trojan part is gone. Yes you have a port open yes you probably don't want that, but is it a trojan? No. It's not hosting anything. I can see his point about it doing something he doesn't want by opening a port, but still without the actual trojan part it's worthless. He's hosting nothing from his PC. To classify it as a trojan would be an outright lie. If he thinks nod32 should protect him from that fine, that's his opinion and I can't argue that but at the end of the day it is not a virus, worm or trojan.

Lets say he gets the hidewindow thing to install, then what? It's still not a trojan. Yes it can hide a window but until he gets a trojan that uses hidewindow to hide itself it's sits there on his PC doing nothing. It does nothing malicouse until something actually uses it. So again I don't see the problem.

He answered the iroffer thing himself, it doesn't even install. If it can't even infect you is it a threat?

He needs to give up on these three files, because they are not proof of NOD32's suckiness. Again I know that NOD32 doesn't have the same amount of stuff in it's database as say Kaspersky, I'm sure if he looked hard enough he could come up with an actual real trojan that nod32 doesn't detect but these three come one, give it up. I can also find a trojan that Panda or kaspersky doesn't detect does that mean they suck? None of them get 100% of everything, none of them get every homemade piece of malware out there, none of them will instantly detect a modified varient of a known piece of malware."

Willian

Banned
Mar 24, 2004

"Lol. Ok then. You can post this back at the other thread if you want.

I never told it to him to his face because I wasn't replying to his thread, I'm replying to the thread at rage3d not anandtech. I don't have an account there nor do I want one. Plus I'm sure he understands that even if I registered at anandtech and posted straight to him it still doesn't mean anything because it's the internet, it doesn't mean I'm tougher if I post in his thread he's still miles and miles away, normal "why don't you say that to my face" things don't really apply in the internet.

Anyways ServU. So he installed it and it opened a port, ok, then what? It's not hosting anything the trojan part is gone. Yes you have a port open yes you probably don't want that, but is it a trojan? No. It's not hosting anything. I can see his point about it doing something he doesn't want by opening a port, but still without the actual trojan part it's worthless. He's hosting nothing from his PC. To classify it as a trojan would be an outright lie. If he thinks nod32 should protect him from that fine, that's his opinion and I can't argue that but at the end of the day it is not a virus, worm or trojan.

Lets say he gets the hidewindow thing to install, then what? It's still not a trojan. Yes it can hide a window but until he gets a trojan that uses hidewindow to hide itself it's sits there on his PC doing nothing. It does nothing malicouse until something actually uses it. So again I don't see the problem.

He answered the iroffer thing himself, it doesn't even install. If it can't even infect you is it a threat?

He needs to give up on these three files, because they are not proof of NOD32's suckiness. Again I know that NOD32 doesn't have the same amount of stuff in it's database as say Kaspersky, I'm sure if he looked hard enough he could come up with an actual real trojan that nod32 doesn't detect but these three come one, give it up. I can also find a trojan that Panda or kaspersky doesn't detect does that mean they suck? None of them get 100% of everything, none of them get every homemade piece of malware out there, none of them will instantly detect a modified varient of a known piece of malware."

AMEN! :D

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001

[....]
Anyways ServU. So he installed it and it opened a port, ok, then what? It's not hosting anything the trojan part is gone. Yes you have a port open yes you probably don't want that, but is it a trojan? No. It's not hosting anything. I can see his point about it doing something he doesn't want by opening a port, but still without the actual trojan part it's worthless. He's hosting nothing from his PC.

How does he know the trojan part is missing? "It's not hosting anything" is inaccurate. It's hosting an FTP server, and the username & password are unknown to me. If the port# is so easy to hardcode, I bet a username/password is also easy to hardcode in there...and once someone who's savvy in these matters connects to that port on my machine, chances are they will know what they're doing and they'll know how to log in, and start grabbing files from me or destroying files.

Sorry but I don't buy it. I agree with him that the other two are not very dangerous (HideWindow & Iroffer)... but this one raises a red flag. Summarily: ftp server on a non-standard port which doesn't notify you that it's running, and probably has some hard-coded username/password that hackers know but you don't. Not good. But I retract my statement about NOD32 sucking. I was told long ago that NOD32 is anti-virus, not anti-trojan. The same is true with McAfee. And that's fine.. those products are not targeted towards that area of malicious code. But Bitdefender & Panda are geared towards viruses, worms, AND trojans, and they do a great job IMO. I definitely would not use ONLY NOD32.. but something along with it to take care of the trojans.

dirtcheapII

Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: MDesigner
Originally posted by: MDesigner
WARNING: Alan Wallace of Panda Security told me that Titanium has a better anti-virus engine than Platinum. And check it out, the latest updates of Platinum miss two viruses..whereas Titanium got them all. Is that anyone else's experience?

I received clarification from Alan. He says that the Platinum engine doesn't check itself for problems like the Titanium one does, and Platinum won't check for operating system patches like Titanium.. that's about it. They should both detect the same viruses, so I don't understand why Platinum is not catching the same ones Titanium is.

you are right I have panda titanium 2004 and panda platinum internet sec 8 both of them nail them all

dirtcheapII

Jul 4, 2003
why right now the files only three virus program in there. and panda titanium manual can't not detect it but when set enable hecking tool dector it auto dectect when download.
ps panda titanium 2004 with lastest update (3-29-2004)

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: dirtcheapII
why right now the files only three virus program in there. and panda titanium manual can't not detect it but when set enable hecking tool dector it auto dectect when download.
ps panda titanium 2004 with lastest update (3-29-2004)

i have no idea what that sentence meant. but you can check the the option for Panda to do ARCHIVE scanning. I have Panda Titanium 2004 updated the same as you and it deleted everything.

dirtcheapII

Jul 4, 2003
ok here what i mean when I down the zip file it had only 3 files inside and less than one mb. after download I check it by manual it can"T dect the virus . when back to panda set enable heck tool. when I when back click the download link it auto dectect and delete it.
well just unintall panda titanium 2004 v 3.0 and install new one with v3.0.1 and download the file again but this time the file is around 1.2mb and contain 7 files
and it detect it all , so that is weir huh

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
ok here what i mean when I down the zip file it had only 3 files inside and less than one mb. after download I check it by manual it can"T dect the virus . when back to panda set enable heck tool. when I when back click the download link it auto dectect and delete it.
well just unintall panda titanium 2004 v 3.0 and install new one with v3.0.1 and download the file again but this time the file is around 1.2mb and contain 7 files

:confused:

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Spudd

:confused: - you had 2 different controll zips. im :confused:

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
I have Norton 2003 and it deleted 5 of 8 files when I scanned it
I then ran The Cleaner 4.0 and it deleted the rest of the files.

Therefore, I passed :)

btw: I didn't even unzip them.

danny~!

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Sid59
Originally posted by: Spudd

:confused: - you had 2 different controll zips. im :confused:

Oh, I get it now: he enabled the "heck tool." Makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks. :confused::beer:

Daedalus12

Oct 8, 2002
I don't know if this program has tested or not.

Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise 7.10

It caught all 7 virii in that zip file except for that Bat.Delete.exe.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
FWIW, Bitdefender is SLOWING my system down.

Opening browsers (FF, IE) and Outlook Express email takes a markedly longer time. This is a direct correlation after installing Bitdefender 7.2

Thus far, I've liked Panda Titanium or Platinum the best in terms of staying out of the way. The only lag with Panda is when it updates and reboots. The rebooting lags a little after an update.

In terms of pricing, Bitdefender is cheaper, including renewals.

Choose your poison. Thus, far I'm not really completely happy with either of these two products. I've preferred NAV the most, however, in how it has been able to catch viruses and stay completely out of the way on my computer.....just MHO.

Willian

Banned
Mar 24, 2004
BitDefender Standard Edition v7.2 is only $29, Has anyone been using this for a period of time? I have been using NOD32 for the past 4 months after switching from McAfee v8.0 2004. Im willing to spend another $29.95 if BitDefender is any good, Anyone?

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I can CONFIRM what others have observed with Bitefender.....for some reason, the Bitdefender program just SHUTS OFF arbitrarily, leaving your computer exposed.

While the program may be good for the test involved here, I think the fact that it slows even fast computers down and the fact that it shuts off whenever it wants are two huge no-no's in my book. :confused:

This AV program seems to be very highly rated and is only $29. May be worth a try:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
While the program may be good for the test involved here, I think the fact that it slows even fast computers down and the fact that it shuts off whenever it wants are two huge no-no's in my book

I`ve to agree about slowing the PC down a little,it has worked great in my rig for the last few months but for speed it`s slow,IE browser is sluggish,I did remove Bitdefender and went back to the one built-in with VCOM SystemSuite V5,boy the speed difference is very noticeable,I also tried the latest McAfee AV as well ,that also seemed very good for speed and does`nt seem to effect PC resources.

stembe

Apr 15, 2004
I am trying to install the BitDefender Free edition on my Win 2K server machine & for some reason it gives me an error message saying that it is unable to start the XCOMM service since I don't have administrative privileges. However, I am logged-in as an administrator. Anyone having similar problems and what was the solution?

TIA.
S