See if your antivirus software REALLY works

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
OK.. Kaspersky. I tried it again. When I rebooted, everything started up REALLY slowly. I mean HUGE delays. I quit Kaspersky, and then it all started up just fine. Strangely, Kaspersky was not eating RAM or CPU. I don't know... I'm having bad experiences with it, so I'm ditching it. Thankfully this is just a trial version.

Mercmaster

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2004
Never had a problem with Nod32, never had a virus, trojan, or worm.

BTW, Nod is MUCH better in trojan and worm detection than previous versions, might want to check out Nod's press release below ....

09/27/2004 (SAN DIEGO, CALIF.)
"Eset, a global provider of next-generation virus protection, today announced the availability of the newest version of its flagship product, NOD32, which extends Eset's state of the art heuristics detection capabilities to defend against Web-based viruses and Trojans, macro viruses hiding in embedded Microsoft Office files, and the latest malware including spyware, adware, and keystroke logging programs."

"Enhanced features of NOD32 include:

Advanced Heuristics for Worm/Virus Detection-detects worms and viruses by their behavior without a need to update a virus signature database, and provides the highest possible detection of Win32 worms, Trojans and viruses.

HTTP Scanning-prevents infection from malware downloaded from the Internet.

Enhanced Protection for Microsoft Office Application Suite-specialized scanner offers additional protection from macro viruses that can spread when sharing Microsoft Office files.

Protection from Non-Virus Threats- detects and removes spyware and keystroke logging programs that track users' behaviors and create dangerous back doors into computer systems."

PS, just checked my Nod32 logs and it shows that it had picked off over 60 trojans and suspicious files in the past few months.

MM

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: MDesigner
OK.. Kaspersky. I tried it again. When I rebooted, everything started up REALLY slowly. I mean HUGE delays. I quit Kaspersky, and then it all started up just fine. Strangely, Kaspersky was not eating RAM or CPU. I don't know... I'm having bad experiences with it, so I'm ditching it. Thankfully this is just a trial version.

Kaspersky will add some time to your boot up since its scans all the boot sectors and some system files and updates the database at the same time. If your done with Kaspersky for good, you need to get a scan utility to find and delete all the ADS that Kaspersky left behind.

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
I tried Kaspersky again.. forget it. For some reason, my machine was being really slow, even though it wasn't eating much CPU. Stuff loaded VERY slowly. The minute I exited Kaspersky, everything was fast again. And this is a 1.8GHz machine too.

So, good news.. Softwin released a new version of Bitdefender (version 8). I bought it, have it running.. so far, so awesome. :)

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Raincity

Kaspersky will add some time to your boot up since its scans all the boot sectors and some system files and updates the database at the same time. If your done with Kaspersky for good, you need to get a scan utility to find and delete all the ADS that Kaspersky left behind.

where to get that?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I tried Kaspersky again.. forget it. For some reason, my machine was being really slow, even though it wasn't eating much CPU. Stuff loaded VERY slowly. The minute I exited Kaspersky, everything was fast again. And this is a 1.8GHz machine too.

So, good news.. Softwin released a new version of Bitdefender (version 8). I bought it, have it running.. so far, so awesome. :)

I felt the same way, until I updated. Now everything runs pretty smoothly.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
im in the middle of writing a round up review of about 9 antivirus programs, the review focuses more on the application itself and the amount of system resources each consumes. I will include links to spywareinfo about the detection rate of viruses, but im focusing on the program itself, expect it in the next few days.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
im in the middle of writing a round up review of about 9 antivirus programs, the review focuses more on the application itself and the amount of system resources each consumes. I will include links to spywareinfo about the detection rate of viruses, but im focusing on the program itself, expect it in the next few days.
Sounds cool. I'm looking forward to it. :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Ok, well I decided to jump on the Bitdefender bandwagon also, and am now regretting that I did. :(

It's not that Bitdefender doesn't work, or makes my system slow, or crashes it (well, I haven't been running long enough to tell that, but more in a moment), or lets anything through, but it's highly annoying in a particular way. I'll preface this by saying that I've been spoiled by Windows XP's ability to go and go for a month or two without reboots (and then it's the security updates that kill my uptime anyway). Unfortunately, BD8 feels the need to install an "IMPORTANT" update just about every single freaking day, and then demand that I reboot NOW or else it will quit working until I do. Maybe if I was still in the habit of doing that as preventative maintenance on Windows 98 or ME, I wouldn't mind, but this is pissing me off. I very much hope that they'll get the bugs worked out of their software (whatever they are, I haven't encountered any visible ones yet), so this critical update madness will end.

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
Weird, ProviaFan.. I'm running Bitdefender 8 on XP Pro, and it's installed a few updates but never asked me to reboot. I think the first time I installed it and it updated a bunch of core stuff, I had to reboot. But since then, the updates require no reboots. Try contacting tech support maybe?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I agree with MDesigner,I`m using Bitdefender 8 Pro on XP Pro and it does not ask for reboots for the daily AV updates, I think only time you reboot is the first time on install of the main Bitdefender program package.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
It could be because I'm logged in as a power user when it's done this... maybe I need to try it as Admin.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
And that was it - when updated as Administrator, BD doesn't request a reboot. Unfortunately, this says something about the rest of you guys' security practices... running as Admin all the time is a definite no-no (unless, of course, you always log in as Admin daily to do system maintenance and update your A/V then). :eek:

Samsonid

Nov 6, 2001
Hi all,

I have installed the evaluation of bitdefender 8 standard... but when I do a scan it finds something like w32.netsky.p
Then it says it is deleted.

If I repeat the scan it keeps finding the exact same thing over and over and keeps telling that it is deleted every time.
I go to the location where the file is supposed to be, but the directory does not exist on my drive?

What do you make of this ?

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
I don't trust that site. There's no way Norton & McAfee are better than Bitdefender and Panda as far as detection goes. Blech.

PS, the site doesn't take into consideration other factors such as program buginess or resource consumption. Kaspersky does rock, but man is it a resource hog. Just my personal experience.

Samsonid

Nov 6, 2001
Not sure what to make of it myself. There are a couple of PDF files towards the end that have more data in them (as for example the time it took to perform the scans) but there is no info about resources (such as memory).

You could be right (I am no expert on this). So far, though, I have not been able to locate any other sites showing a decent comprehensive *attempt* of comparison (pitting together so many products with a vast number of virus samples). At least we should give them that.

You have a zip file at the beginning of your post but I could not access it. It seems my ISP is cleaning it before it even reaches me (when I open it, its empty saying "not valid zip format")

In regards to resources:
I have been running EzTrust for years (and InocculateIT before that). Recently, I found out that one of my application was slow to launch and navigate because of the antivirus. So the EzTrust (7.0) realtime scanner seems a bit slow and the task manager shows a continuously a 2% drain in the CPU.

Then I tried bitdefender and the application launches (and behaves) quickly. I suspect it has a faster realtime monitor and the idle CPU drain is 0%.

Then I tried Kespersky. It was good as well. The realtime monitor was fast (no application slow down) and idle CPU was at 0%. (So I do not experience the resource consumption you mention, or at leats I don't feel it compared to EzTrust)

The other think is that Kerspersky and EzTrust did not find a w32.netsky.p in my "Documents and Settings" folder. Only Bitdefender was able to locate it (and orginially I thought it was a false positive... see three posts above).

Bitdefender is using less memory as well; my system is cruising at 173000, but with EzTrust it was at 186000.

-
(Win2k SP4 AMD-64 3200 1Gb)