Schindler's List.. did it make you hate the Germans?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Originally posted by: tweakmm
While I realise this thread is a parody, watching a movie is one thing, nothing compares to actuatly being inside a concentration camp. I think that walking through Dachau has been one of the most sobering experiences of my life. I can't even imagine how it was when the Nazi's were in power.

Agreed. Standing in the front of the camp looking at the size of the field and seeing the pictures of all the people lined up on the field was frightening. There were so many people at that camp. And let's not even get going on the ovens.......:Q:(

Shanteli

Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: jooksing
I'm chinese but I don't hate the Japanese people for what their gov't did during WWII. I guess you can draw the same distinction between Nazis and Germans.

In fact, I appreciate their contribution of hentai anime and bukkake.

Yeah but my grandparents sure hate them :)

And here is an interesting fact that I have noticed through the years...do you know in Universities how international students usually band together into these large mixed groups? Usually none of the other asian groups ever have a Japanese person in it. I could be totally off base but I've never seen it.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Being Polish, what makes me not to like Germans is the fact that somehow they have started two meanest and the bloodies wars in humans history, all of that within 40 years...
Edit:I dont like Germans, but not because of the movie...
I don't like them because of the history...

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: JackBurton
No it makes me hate the...um..."people that control the media" that played Schindler's List on prime time television UNCUT with all the FULL nudity, sex, language, and violence, and then were OUTRAGED at Janet Jackson's 2 second shot of a boob that wasn't fully exposed. I mean WTF is that about? It's funny, they played Saving Private Ryan uncut too....hmmmm. I wonder what these two movies have in common.
rolleye.gif

In the case of the movies people were fully warned about what to expect during the showing. There was a warning before the show, during the intermission, and the program was rated M.

During the Superbowl they were no such things..

That is the difference.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: adlep
Being Polish, what makes me not to like Germans is the fact that somehow they have started two meanest and the bloodies wars in humans history, all of that within 40 years...

So you hate them now? Or hate what they did in the past? If you hate them now, I must say that's the most ignorant thing I've heard today. The German society has MORE than made up for their sick and violent past and does not deserve to be judged by it any longer. There is NO reason to judge the sons based on the sins of the fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers.

If anything, Germany has swung too far to the surrender-monkey side of things and is a bit too much like the French these days... but that's a whole different thread. :p

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DorkBoy
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
there's a difference between germans and nazis
So the Germans were the cowards who sat and watched their country genocide a race? I get it now ;)

Are you a coward for letting your Gov't kill Iraqis/Afghanis then? I guess so;)
There is a difference between taking out a tyrant and sticking massive amounts of people from a single race in large ovens ;) Saddam killed more of his own people then we did going over there.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

Too bad they technically didn't "start" WWI.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
I keep hearing in German Schools they don't talk about the holocaust and they say it never happened. They also say the photos are fake and America made them up. Is this true? I?ve heard this from a few people now.

I've heard that in Japan they don't teach that they bombed Pearl Harbor. They do however cover the fact that we dropped the A bomb on them.

I don't hate Germans and I've seen that movie many times. It is an excellent movie.

So much misinformation here.

I taught in Japanese public JHS for 2 years and can assure you they do teach about Pearl Harbor and Nanking. In fact, I've seen and read the textbooks myself because I was interested in this fact. The issue of glossing over Nanking came from the approval of one history book for use in the public school system. However, there are at least a dozen approved history books school districts can choose from. If I remember correctly, only 2 school districts in all of Japan use that book. Its like teaching creationism in the US today. There are going to be some fanatical school superintendents somewhere trying to push their own agenda but you shouldn't paint a whole group as bad just because 2 districts out of thousands choose to use a certain book.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
So you hate them now? Or hate what they did in the past? If you hate them now, I must say that's the most ignorant thing I've heard today. The German society has MORE than made up for their sick and violent past and does not deserve to be judged by it any longer. There is NO reason to judge the sons based on the sins of the fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers.

If anything, Germany has swung too far to the surrender-monkey side of things and is a bit too much like the French these days... but that's a whole different thread
I din't say that I hate them....
And, what you trying to say about making up for their sick past is not exactly true...
They still have quite powerfull Neo-Nazi movement (ie Ex. East Germany).
And apparently one of the German Political parties (Bund der Vertriebenen) is demending compensations from the Polish government for poor Germans who have been removed from Poland after the WWII :Q
So, not everything is as simple as you would like it to be..
Unfortunately, Germans as a nation do not have statistics on their side.
Given the numbers, I think that they will start another war for some fu*ked up reason within next 50 years...
Edit: Just for the WWII they owe us about 2000 billions (yes, billions) of $ for the damages.
This money will never be seen, although it would help the Germans think twice about electing some sick bastards to the public offices.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

If anything, Germany has swung too far to the surrender-monkey side of things and is a bit too much like the French these days... but that's a whole different thread
And, what you trying to say about making up for their sick past is not exactly true...
And apparently one of the German Political parties (Bund der Vertriebenen) is demending compensations from the Polish government for poor Germans who have been removed from Poland after the WWII :Q
Given the numbers, I think that they will start another war for some fu*ked up reason within next 50 years...

Every country has it's lunatic fringe. The US and England has larger, more vocal Neo-Nazi groups than Germany. Are we evil, too?

Was not a signifigant % of Poles complacent in the extermination of Jews during WWII?

Is the whole to be judged by the minority?

Please...

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Was not a signifigant % of Poles complacent in the extermination of Jews during WWII?

Please...
Ha ha...
There is only one incident in Jedwabne, so it is not significant by any means...
What would make you think it was a significant number?

The Poles were as much victims of the Germans in WWII as the Jews.
Here
And let me remind you that Hitler got 33% of the German popular votes in 1933...
Now, thats significant..
I would imagine that by 1941, the German support for the Hitler has increased even more, because he was "delivering"...
Right...
rolleye.gif

And all of these millions of German soldiers invading other coutries were politically neutral...Not.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Every country has it's lunitic fringe. The US and England has larger, more vocal Neo-Nazi groups than Germany. Are we evil, too?

Please...

I agree, you have lunatics all around the world.

It's the same like you would hate Americans for the killing of the native populations, the Spanish for killing half of South America etc ....

you can probably go back to the time where a Neanderthaler killed a Homo Sapiens.

I hate Neanderthalers, they killed one of ours :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Please...
Ha ha...
There is only one incident in Jedwabne, so it is not significant by any means...

Here
And let me remind you that Hitler got 33% of the German popular votes in 1933...
Now, thats significant..
I would imagine that by 1941, the German support for the Hitler has increased even more, because he was "delivering"...

How many would vote for him now?

And the Poles were no fans of the Jews either. So please don't try to whitewash that fact, OK?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Originally posted by: Amused

Every country has it's lunitic fringe. The US and England has larger, more vocal Neo-Nazi groups than Germany. Are we evil, too?

Please...

I agree, you have lunatics all around the world.

It's the same like you would hate Americans for the killing of the native populations, the Spanish for killing half of South America etc ....

you can probably go back to the time where a Neanderthaler killed a Homo Sapiens.

I hate Neanderthalers, they killed one of ours :p

:D

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

Please...
Ha ha...

Here
Now, thats significant..
Right...
rolleye.gif

And all of these millions of German soldiers invading other coutries were politically neutral...Not.

you do realize that a large portion of the billions that Poland will receive for entering the EU will be paid by
the German taxpayer

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Originally posted by: JackBurton
No it makes me hate the...um..."people that control the media" that played Schindler's List on prime time television UNCUT with all the FULL nudity, sex, language, and violence, and then were OUTRAGED at Janet Jackson's 2 second shot of a boob that wasn't fully exposed. I mean WTF is that about? It's funny, they played Saving Private Ryan uncut too....hmmmm. I wonder what these two movies have in common.
rolleye.gif

In the case of the movies people were fully warned about what to expect during the showing. There was a warning before the show, during the intermission, and the program was rated M.

During the Superbowl they were no such things..

That is the difference.
You've got to be fvcking shitting me! So if they put a warning message before they showed the Superbowl it would be ok? FCC rules can be bent with a warning message? I thought the WHOLE problem was that it was shown on prime time television when "families" were watching. Yes, Janet Jackson's boob is an abomination, but some Nazi screwing a naked woman is ok? WTF? Maybe it just takes "an influential group" to bend the rules their way. What a pile of sh!t!

I have No problem with showing Schindler's List on TV, but the hypocrisy is intolerable!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Please...
Ha ha...

Here
Now, thats significant..
Right...
rolleye.gif

You've missed the point. The point is, it is NOT the same Germany, nor the same people today. To judge them today, for their actions then is ignorant and stupid.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
And the Poles were no fans of the Jews either. So please don't try to whitewash that fact, OK?
Edit: I am not whitewashing anything.
All I am doing is giving you some historical source to take a look at...
Right, Poles were no fans of Jews...In fact Poles absolutely hated Jews...
So all of the Jews said..
Hey, lets go live in Poland they hate us over there, so we can be easly killed...
Not...
Poland had a biggest Jewish population before WWII for a reason....
In 16th,17th,and 18th centuries, Poland was the best place to live for Jews.
Thre was no Poland in 19th and first quater of 20th century, hence the troubles began..

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
You've missed the point. The point is, it is NOT the same Germany, nor the same people today. To judge them today, for their actions then is ignorant and stupid.
I do not hate Germans, but I do have a deep reservations towards them, because of the history...
Thats it...