Schindler's List.. did it make you hate the Germans?

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
That movie portrayed Germans in a very bad light, and being of German heritage myself can see the potential for this movie to to encite rage against Germans for the things that they did in the past..

This goes against everything the German community has worked on over the past many decades in being accepted into the world and not hated.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I keep hearing in German Schools they don't talk about the holocaust and they say it never happened. They also say the photos are fake and America made them up. Is this true? I?ve heard this from a few people now.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: LordJezo
That movie portrayed Germans in a very bad light, and being of German heritage myself can see the potential for this movie to to encite rage against Germans for the things that they did in the past..

This goes against everything the German community has worked on over the past many decades in being accepted into the world and not hated.

rolleye.gif

I suppose all of the other...oh...5,387 war movies about WWII and the Germans (or the Japanese) are less worrisome to you?

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
there's a difference between germans and nazis

Just like there is a difference between Jews and the corrupt religious leaders who had Jesus killed.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
I keep hearing in German Schools they don't talk about the holocaust and they say it never happened. They also say the photos are fake and America made them up. Is this true? I?ve heard this from a few people now.

I don't know of any German schools where this is true. There are memorials to the holocaust in Germany -- you know that, right? There may be extremists who believe it didn't happen, but those same people exist in Northern Idaho -- all of my friends who are German know, and understand, more than I do about that particular part of their nation's past. They certainly understand it better than we understand our policies toward Native Americans, our tainted history with Eugenics, etc.

The movie didn't make me hate the Germans, no. Personally, I didn't really feel that the movie was that moving -- that could be because my g/f spend an entire semester studying the holocaust, so I caught a lot of the residual knowledge from that, and it made Schindler's list seem -- well -- like a typical Spielberg film.

Rob

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I've heard that in Japan they don't teach that they bombed Pearl Harbor. They do however cover the fact that we dropped the A bomb on them.

I don't hate Germans and I've seen that movie many times. It is an excellent movie.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
no. the germans are damn good engineers. i dont hate the germans. but i dont like the nazis

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Originally posted by: aRCeNiTe
there's a difference between germans and nazis

Just like there is a difference between Jews and the corrupt religious leaders who had Jesus killed.

you didn't have to go this far.... you should reflect your opiniion in the other "Passion of Christ" thread, otherwise it is quite moot in this topic for arugment sake.

DorkBoy

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
no, i just look at what the Japs did during WWII and than think those Germans weren't so bad after all. They just have a real bad PR rep.!!

Shanteli

Aug 7, 2000
I had a Japanese friend tell me that in school they have a one sentence line telling about the massacre at Nanking *sp? A ton of Chinese died in that incident and she only learned about it after she started going to school here and took a history class.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I've heard that in Japan they don't teach that they bombed Pearl Harbor. They do however cover the fact that we dropped the A bomb on them.

I don't hate Germans and I've seen that movie many times. It is an excellent movie.

I heard that US schools don't teach anything about what happened to the Indians and slavery
rolleye.gif

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: kami333
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I heard that US schools don't teach anything about what happened to the Indians and slavery
rolleye.gif
Really? Where did you go to school? I certainly learned alot about those subjects in school...