Ryzen 7 2700 seriously slow

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
1.1 VSoC should be about right for most memory OCs or profiles. It got me to 3400 MHz just fine. For extreme OC beyond 3600+ is where you may need higher, I would gather.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Also what do you guys run to test ryzen speeds temps and voltages? I am monitoring with ryzen master, but depending on load I get different results. I used p95 with large FFTs and 2 threads, boosted above 4.2 or so. Vcore about 1.5 though! with 16 threads, I got about 3.95, but vcore much lower about 1.325. Is over 1.4V dangerous for ryzen?

Also, I dont know why vcore is going that high, as I even set a nearly .09 negative offset for vcore. It doesnt seem to be boosting as high as it used too either. I am on the stock cooler, I am wondering if the memory OC is causing weird side effects, or if the negative vcore offset is being wonky in some way when boosting.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Also what do you guys run to test ryzen speeds temps and voltages? I am monitoring with ryzen master, but depending on load I get different results. I used p95 with large FFTs and 2 threads, boosted above 4.2 or so. Vcore about 1.5 though! with 16 threads, I got about 3.95, but vcore much lower about 1.325. Is over 1.4V dangerous for ryzen?

Also, I dont know why vcore is going that high, as I even set a nearly .09 negative offset for vcore. It doesnt seem to be boosting as high as it used too either. I am on the stock cooler, I am wondering if the memory OC is causing weird side effects, or if the negative vcore offset is being wonky in some way when boosting.

P95 28.10 (look under more versions), 128k in place FFTs will get the most power consumption out of Ryzen. This is The Stilt's recommendation.

Another punishing alternative is the latest Linpack in the form of LinpackXtreme

On monitoring, again, please, use hwinfo to directly monitor the CPU's internal telemetry.

vcore going that high is part of XFR2 and it's by design, it's a temporary voltage boost to hit these high ST clocks on one or two cores that otherwise would be degrading if used for an all core overclock.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I think the issue people have with your post is that your experience has not been seen in quantity so far, which reasonably means that either you have a dud mobo or cpu.
Yet, you keep ragging on AMD as if they sold you and the world a lemon.
Since unknown thousands have been sold, and we've not seen any significant horror stories such as yours, we can assume its an outlier.
Something is a dud, and you've somehow made a profit off of it ?
How does that work, did you sell the system or piece it out without telling the new buyer, instead of just RMA'ing it to resolve the issue one way or another?
Frustration is understandable, however selling off dodgy gear is not good for your karma.

There's several other cases like mine on the ASRock website, seems clear they intended it to operate this way.
Why nobody else is complaining? Overclocking, ignorance, or another (X) CPU perhaps.
Or perhaps because a bunch of spiteful AMD fanboys literally gang up to beat them down on the internet for mentioning an issue.
Just like GTX970 owners were stupid haters finding imaginary problems...until major media started to investigate and found Nvidia straight up lied about ROPs/TMUs/RAM.

Still never said I sold the system.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Or perhaps because a bunch of spiteful AMD fanboys literally gang up to beat them down on the internet for mentioning an issue.
Yes, all of us that were able to successfully integrate an AMD AM4 mobo and CPU, and get it running at the clocks that we wanted to, are "spiteful AMD fanboys", ganging up on you.

I've at least tried to add some data points here and there, since I too just built a Ryzen R7 2700 rig, although we have different mobos and UEFIs.

Or maybe you should just accept that your experience is an outlier, and not representative of AMD's AM4 platform as a whole.

Wouldn't you laugh at me, if I bought a Z390 mobo (that had a bent pin), and tried to integrate it with a 9900K,. and it kept throttling down over load? Would you comisserate with me, and say "Intel sucks"? Or would you suggest that I replace the mobo?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just like GTX970 owners were stupid haters finding imaginary problems...until major media started to investigate and found Nvidia straight up lied about ROPs/TMUs/RAM.
PS. Are you now doubling-down, and attempting to claim by analogy, that AMD somehow lied about some part of their AM4 platform or CPU technical specs? Does that complete your hit-piece on AMD?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Am I likely to harm my new CPU, if I OC it to 4.0Ghz fixed, and 1.325V? VSoC is on "Auto", which put it at 1.200V. Temps are around 68-72C.

I was thinking, can you run prime95 full bore and post a screenshot of ryzen master sensors as well? Curious to see if the 3.4GHz all core turbo holds up under that type of load and if so, what the current readings are.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I don't know, others have the Asrock board and don't seem to have the same issue. The 2700 does not have XFR2 like the 2700x does so it doesn't have as granular of a boost. Should still be seeing 4.1 GHz with 1-2 threads and ~3.4 GHz fully loaded though unless hitting a thermal or power limit.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yes, all of us that were able to successfully integrate an AMD AM4 mobo and CPU, and get it running at the clocks that we wanted to, are "spiteful AMD fanboys", ganging up on you.

I've at least tried to add some data points here and there, since I too just built a Ryzen R7 2700 rig, although we have different mobos and UEFIs.

Or maybe you should just accept that your experience is an outlier, and not representative of AMD's AM4 platform as a whole.

Wouldn't you laugh at me, if I bought a Z390 mobo (that had a bent pin), and tried to integrate it with a 9900K,. and it kept throttling down over load? Would you comisserate with me, and say "Intel sucks"? Or would you suggest that I replace the mobo?

Sigh... The implication is there, but assuming this is the only forum, the only place people would go to seek help, is a bit arrogant.
I never said AMD sucks, I said the 2700 does. It's not just the poor performance that puts me off for Zen. Bad MOBOS, bad BIOS, terrible lack of information/clarity, etc. The entire ecosystem is more immature than systems even 15-20 years ago. Maybe they'll straighten it out with Zen2, but it seems reviews and research wont be a reliable indicator.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Define "make a profit", then.
*snip*

prof·it
/ˈpräfət/
noun

1. 1.
    a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.

Seriously, nobody here knows anything about basic financials, or simple definitions for words like profit?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I don't know, others have the Asrock board and don't seem to have the same issue. The 2700 does not have XFR2 like the 2700x does so it doesn't have as granular of a boost. Should still be seeing 4.1 GHz with 1-2 threads and ~3.4 GHz fully loaded though unless hitting a thermal or power limit.

But they do, for example:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts...title=enabling-pbo-or-xfr-in-x470-taichi-bios
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts...ios-settings-cpu-fatal1ty-x470-gaming-k4-x470
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts...tal1ty-b450-gamingitx-ac-xfr2-and-pbo-options

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
prof·it
/ˈpräfət/
noun

1. 1.
    a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.

Seriously, nobody here knows anything about basic financials, or simple definitions for words like profit?

Yeah, what you wrote in that post was interpreted by everyone here as you having sold your trouble-ridden system.

I guess context > dictionary definition most of the time. Hence, define "made a profit". You citing a definition doesn't help.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

The 2700 doesn't support xfr2 or pbo as far as I know, but that doesn't mean it won't boost, those are more advanced boost techniques but the 2700 still has boost functionality and should not be stuck at 3.2 GHz.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The 2700 doesn't support xfr2 or pbo as far as I know, but that doesn't mean it won't boost, those are more advanced boost techniques but the 2700 still has boost functionality and should not be stuck at 3.2 GHz.
I think the boost for the 2700 is called "Core Performance Boost"? When I was testing it, I set it to "Enabled", and I was boosting to 4.1Ghz on light loads, and 3.45Ghz on all-core loads.

Reactions: lightmanek

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
There's no difference in the feature list at AMD for the 2700 and the 2700X. The only difference is the clocks. Both have XFR2 and PBO2.

Reactions: prtskg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Sigh... The implication is there, but assuming this is the only forum, the only place people would go to seek help, is a bit arrogant.
I never said AMD sucks, I said the 2700 does. It's not just the poor performance that puts me off for Zen. Bad MOBOS, bad BIOS, terrible lack of information/clarity, etc. The entire ecosystem is more immature than systems even 15-20 years ago. Maybe they'll straighten it out with Zen2, but it seems reviews and research wont be a reliable indicator.

The real problem here is that:

a). Your system somehow didn't boost beyond 3.2 GHz, which is odd, even for a 2700
b). Even a tiny bit of research should have told you that the 2700 has inferior all-core boost speeds compared to the 2700x

Buying a 2700x and not buying a separate HSF gets you a better system without all the griping or much (if any) additional cost. If you buy the 2700, you're doing it to save money on an all-core overclock of some kind, either by modifying p-states or just by going for a fixed clockspeed. 4.2 GHz is attainable on many 2700s, making it a decent replacement for a 2700x when budgetary constraints get in the way of people putting together a cheap 8c system. Assuming you can cool the 2700 properly . . .

There is nothing wrong with the "ecosystem". I do think ASRock UEFI support has gone into the toilet, which is why I'm skeptical of whether I'll by buying one of the x570 boards once I'm finally able.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
There's no difference in the feature list at AMD for the 2700 and the 2700X. The only difference is the clocks. Both have XFR2 and PBO2.

I was going off of what I read in reviews such as here:

What this processor lacks is XFR 2.0 in the form the 2700X has.

If that's wrong, then fine. Either way we're back to his CPU shouldn't be locked to 3.2 GHz and either his board is faulty or Asrock completely screwed up the BIOS for non-X CPUs.

Here's a review where the Asrock Taichi U seems to perform just as well as an ASUS board with the 2700 when not overclocked:

https://wccftech.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-2700-cpu-review-asrock-x470-asus-x470-motherboards/9/

They don't specify what clocks they're seeing from what I saw skimming through the review, but I doubt the 2700 on the Asrock board would match the ASUS board or beat the 1700x they have if the Asrock board limited the 2700 to 3.2 GHz.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Here's a review where the Asrock Taichi U seems to perform just as well as an ASUS board with the 2700 when not overclocked:

It's likely that review was on an old UEFI version that might work better than the recent ones.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
It's likely that review was on an old UEFI version that might work better than the recent ones.

Wasn't OP using an old one to begin with? Perhaps it was old but still after whatever changes they made. Either way, CPB should still be working and letting it boost unless the board is just borked.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I will say this too, I used to have several ASRock AM4 boards (the AB350M Pro4). Great starter boards, but lacking in some areas, and as @DrMrLordX noted, their UEFI versions started really sucking. (Their UEFI for that board, with AGESA 1.0.0.6 was probably their best, and I think they even added LLC finally on that board.)

Now I have Gigabyte and Asus.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
I think the boost for the 2700 is called "Core Performance Boost"? When I was testing it, I set it to "Enabled", and I was boosting to 4.1Ghz on light loads, and 3.45Ghz on all-core loads.

Yes, "Core Performance Boost" is the setting that controls XFR/XFR2 for X and non X parts. The only difference between them is how aggressive the feature is at pushing the cores. 1xxx parts have XFR, 2xxx parts have XFR2.

It should be enabled for that feature to work, it should be disabled if one is doing manual pstate overclocking since you're overriding the predefined voltage/frequency behavior.

Disabling CPB/XFR will leave the CPU at its base clock, not being able to boost. The 2700's base clock is 3.2GHz.

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I will say this too, I used to have several ASRock AM4 boards (the AB350M Pro4). Great starter boards, but lacking in some areas, and as @DrMrLordX noted, their UEFI versions started really sucking. (Their UEFI for that board, with AGESA 1.0.0.6 was probably their best, and I think they even added LLC finally on that board.)

Now I have Gigabyte and Asus.

Yeah I haven't been happy with AsRock either.

I specifically bought the ASRock killer because I read it had llc and I wanted to overclock a 1600 to 4.0 stable.

And ofcourse ASRock removed LLC from killer to leave it on the Taichi boards. There was a huge thread on other forums how the earlier versions of the board had LLC and the had ninja removed it.

Overall I don't blame AMD for it one bit because I have a cpu that can do 4.0, it even does 3.925 stable without LLC.

I am just done with AsRock. I'll try MSI or Asus next.

And if the OP really wants a fix.. I suggest trying another motherboard and RMA's the taichi. Also I find it strange he spent $200 on a board but saved a few bucks on non x cpu and the memory (DDR-2400 instead of DDR-3200). I'd personally have gone the opposite.

Reactions: IEC and Ranulf

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
*snip*
Also I find it strange he spent $200 on a board but saved a few bucks on non x cpu and the memory (DDR-2400 instead of DDR-3200). I'd personally have gone the opposite.

I got the CPU new on sale for $200 vs $320 for the X. I wanted a full feature MOBO and one with reliable circuitry that could operate for many years. Research suggested most boards came with questionable or poor VRMs and heatsinks that could be problematic long term (especially in my situation where it's in a hot environment). In my budget it seemed only some MSI and the ASRock board had a proper VRM to handle the 8 cores, and the MSI boards were supposed to be the ones with BIOS issues (like high voltage [1.5v+] w/ limited adjustment options).

So the choice was $460 for an X CPU and middling MOBO or $400 for the non X and a supposedly great MOBO (everyone claimed it had voltage, XFR/PBO adjust etc). Based on my research it sounded like an easy thing to get a 2700 to operate like a 2700x, with proper boost etc. The savings would also allow me to get a better heatsink (even the crappy 212 Evo is notably better than the good stock cooler of the 2700x) plus a full set of good new case fans (apparently replacing the 212 Evo fan with these made it much better). Certainly at regular retail pricing I would've spent the $30 more for the 2700x (and probably tried it's stock cooler).

And I did get 3200MHz RAM...2400MHz is just what the MOBO chose to run at "default" settings. Got it for a great deal too (especially compared to even just 6-12 months ago). If you read the thread that information is clearly posted (my first post even).