Ryzen 7 2700 seriously slow

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaju123

Feb 1, 2014
This whole thread reads like a weird Intel-sponsored hitpiece on AMD. It's not that hard to get a Ryzen system working. I myself went from an Intel 4770k @4.4ghz to ryzen 1700 and was amazed how fast it was. It was even a lot faster in most games I played, such as 64-player battlefield, etc. You clearly have a defective part or have done something super weird in the BIOS. Get another motherboard, leave it at stock, and it should work just fine. Or, rage at nothing as you are currently doing and blame AMD for your defective part and/or personal failures.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Already made a profit on it though.
Time to build another computer now.

You could now try a 2700x since it'll XFR right up to 4.35GHz for ST loads and won't drop below 4GHz on MT loads if kept cool (does it right out of the box, don't have to mess with manual overclocking if you don't want to), and a proper AM4 enthusiast motherboard with a proper BIOS like the Crosshair VII Hero. A C6H will be rock solid, too, if you can find one for cheap.

Sadly Asrock's AM4 BIOS efforts just don't stand up to the hardware. The Taichi has the best VRM you could get for AM4, but the rest of the board pales. This applies to their x370 and x470 models.

.....or you can just wait for x570 and 3000 series Ryzen, which are to be announced at the end of the month at Computex.

RJinTampa

May 12, 2019
I read this entire post because I just upgraded from a 2500k to my first AMD ryzen 2700. Boy did I have a different experience!

This system smokes my old 2500k. NO COMPARISON! I went stock with the CPU and cooler. The biggest difference I have from him is I have a gigabyte x370 and an RX 580. My SSD isn't quite as good as his either. But I do have a 650 watt power supply.

No idea why is is so bad and mine so good. Oh well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I read this entire post because I just upgraded from a 2500k to my first AMD ryzen 2700. Boy did I have a different experience!

This system smokes my old 2500k. NO COMPARISON! I went stock with the CPU and cooler. The biggest difference I have from him is I have a gigabyte x370 and an RX 580. My SSD isn't quite as good as his either. But I do have a 650 watt power supply.

No idea why is is so bad and mine so good. Oh well.
Your experience mirrors 99.99% of Ryzen upgrade users. His does not. Which is why, some of us feel like it's a hit piece.

Edit: I mean, maybe it's just incompetence, or bad parts, but .... sorry OP, but it did make me wonder. At least, try not to smear the whole AM4 platform, just because of your anomalous experience.

Edit: @alexruiz 's post earlier in this thread, explaining about the TDP cap on the 2700 (65W TDP rated), and the fact that all 8C/16T running "power virus" code is right at the limit, so that there's no boost headroom, makes sense. So, perhaps the OP isn't wrong, in his findings. At least, though, when I built my 2700 rig, I already knew that I was going to go for a "manual OC", and run the CPU under 240mm AIO WC. Right now, it's been sitting overnight, running WCG on 15/16 threads,, at 4.0Ghz and 1.325V. (I just guessed at the voltage, I had it at 3.8Ghz, and I thought that maybe with 12nm, I could push it further on that voltage, and I did, and it appears stable, so I'm probably still juicing it with too much voltage. I'm just thrilled to be running an 8C/16T Ryzen CPU @ 4.0Ghz, as I couldn't quite push my R5 1600 CPU that high. Could only get that one to 3.90Ghz, and it still wasn't 100% stable.)

So, I have nothing against the OP, personally, but ... this thread is strange. But educational.

Hey, I saved $50 over the cost of a 2700X, and I bought the 240mm AIO WC for like $40 a couple of BF's ago. So I think I came out ahead, a little bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: .vodka and scannall
Feb 4, 2009
I was thinking the same thing, earlier in this thread. Anyone want to go back and look at OP's thread history?

Yeah, that’s why I said earlier it’s obvious OP doesn’t want an AMD system he may as well end the pain and sell it to buy an intel system.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, that’s why I said earlier it’s obvious OP doesn’t want an AMD system he may as well end the pain and sell it to buy an intel system.

I have nothing against AMD, I've actually been waiting and hoping for them to make a comeback. I was a big fan of their products from the original Athlons up through Phenom II (didn't have much experience with their K 5/6 series). The "dozer" FX line was a clear dud (performing worse than the Phenom II when it launched, so I rode it out with an X6-1100T. I still use it as my daily driver (typing on it now) and even this thing is a much better/smoother experience and can boost/idle properly. So far my experience with Ryzen says dud. People here want to say I'm an Intel shill, because I provided facts and evidence. Everyone ignoring said facts and evidence and insisting I'm wrong without providing any facts or evidence of their own. Show me an X470 Taichi with a 2700 that has XFR/PBO in the BIOS. Show me a 2700 maintaining proper boost at various core loads etc.

I'm not so petty as to write off a company because they made one horrible product. Intel has done horrible crap too. Non of this changes the fact that the 2700 is in fact as bad as I said first post. Upon your insistence that I was not having the experience I claimed, I went way above and beyond to try and improve it. All that did was prove even further that it was bad, wasted my time effort, and pissed me off further. Zen2 (3000) is a new revision, /MAYBE/ I'll give it a chance...but current zen has been bad enough I wont use it or recommend it to anyone (and that pretty much wont matter this late in it's cycle).

topmysteries5

Jan 31, 2019
I have nothing against AMD, I've actually been waiting and hoping for them to make a comeback. I was a big fan of their products from the original Athlons up through Phenom II (didn't have much experience with their K 5/6 series). The "dozer" FX line was a clear dud (performing worse than the Phenom II when it launched, so I rode it out with an X6-1100T. I still use it as my daily driver (typing on it now) and even this thing is a much better/smoother experience and can boost/idle properly. So far my experience with Ryzen says dud. People here want to say I'm an Intel shill, because I provided facts and evidence. Everyone ignoring said facts and evidence and insisting I'm wrong without providing any facts or evidence of their own. Show me an X470 Taichi with a 2700 that has XFR/PBO in the BIOS. Show me a 2700 maintaining proper boost at various core loads etc.

I'm not so petty as to write off a company because they made one horrible product. Intel has done horrible crap too. Non of this changes the fact that the 2700 is in fact as bad as I said first post. Upon your insistence that I was not having the experience I claimed, I went way above and beyond to try and improve it. All that did was prove even further that it was bad, wasted my time effort, and pissed me off further. Zen2 (3000) is a new revision, /MAYBE/ I'll give it a chance...but current zen has been bad enough I wont use it or recommend it to anyone (and that pretty much wont matter this late in it's cycle).
I got some cinebench scores @ stock, 2700 gets 1450-1500CB, when oced to 4.1ghz all core it scores ~1830CB. It costs under 270USD on amazon. Now I'm comparing it with older i7 6900K, that cpu costed 1000usd for similar performance. I7 6900K also gets ~ 1800CB @ 4.2ghz all core. This is where ryzen shines, ryzen is cheaper and consumers much less power. If you feel you wasted money on ryzen, then I'm more unlucky to have wasted money on 5960x and i7 6900k + expensive mobo.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
@ OP: do you happen to know someone who can lend you a Ryzen CPU for the purposes of seeing if it too behaves like yours? Doesn't have to be the same model, i think.

If it does, the problem isn't the CPU (board? PSU?) and if not the issue lies with the CPU being somehow faulty: either way, it would provide some answers.

Reactions: prtskg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
People here want to say I'm an Intel shill, because I provided facts and evidence. Everyone ignoring said facts and evidence and insisting I'm wrong without providing any facts or evidence of their own. Show me an X470 Taichi with a 2700 that has XFR/PBO in the BIOS. Show me a 2700 maintaining proper boost at various core loads etc.

Ok, you want "facts and evidence"? I've got an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming ATX mobo, with an Ryzen R7 2700 under 240mm AIO WC.

I had it previously at 4.0Ghz @ 1.325V, 74C max.

I went into BIOS, and reset all of the "DOCP" stuff, RAM clocks, everything back to "Auto", EXCEPT, I set "Core Performance Boost" to "Enabled" rather than "Auto".

Upon booting Win10, some of my cores were boosting to 4092Mhz, and with BOINC running 15 threads of WCG, my Core#0-#7 Current Clocks, are around 3440Mhz.

So, on a mobo with working boost, and a working TDP limit (I assume, since when I manually OCed, it was showing Package Power of 134W, now it's showing 68W), I get 3.45Ghz. Not a lot of boost room within the 65W margin, but it IS boosting. (That's pretty close, really, to what I got with my Ryzen R5 1600 CPU, non-overclocked, with Turbo ON. I would get an all-core turbo of 3.4Ghz, stock, on a stock heatsink, under full load.)

Right now, Package Temps are 49C max. So it appears that the limit is power (W), not temps.

Does anyone have any idea where to set the power limit up to 95W, and see how it boosts then?
1557712637374.png

Edit: I tried "Performance Enhance" or something, just under the "DOCP" settings. There's "Auto", "Normal", "Level1", "Level 2", "Level 3 (OC)", and "Level 4 (OC)".

When I tried Level 4 (OC), I couldn't see the Power section in HWMonitor. I even tried closing CPU-Z and HWMonitor and opening them again.

I then tried "Level 2", but that didn't seem to do much, still boosting all-core to 3440Mhz, Package Power @ 68W.

Last edited:

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Larry (and everyone else), please use hwinfo in sensors only mode. CPUID's hwmonitor doesn't handle Ryzen/AM4 well.

You get to see the CPU's internal, accurate power/current/voltage telemetry (shown as SVI2 TFN) data and whatever extra EC data/sensors it can find.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Show me a 2700 maintaining proper boost at various core loads etc.
Well, hmph. I got mine to boost to 3667Mhz, that was as high as I was able to get, without a manual fixed OC.
With only a light load, I saw boosting to 4097Mhz, but once I put a 15-thread all-core load on it, back down to 3440Mhz, with an occasional slight bump to 3667Mhz.

I was not able to find a place in the BIOS to set the TDP limit explicitly, like my Gigabyte AORUS B450 PRO WIFI has (*which didn't seem to have any effect on my 1st-Gen R5 1600 CPU in there).

I wonder if AMD has hard-coded "boost limits" into the 2700, so as not to cut directly into sales of the 2700X? (Makes some sense.) Of course, with manual OC, all of that power-saving / boost TDP limit stuff is disabled, so I'm pushing 139W package power right now. Thankfully I'm on water.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Well, hmph. I got mine to boost to 3667Mhz, that was as high as I was able to get, without a manual fixed OC.
With only a light load, I saw boosting to 4097Mhz, but once I put a 15-thread all-core load on it, back down to 3440Mhz, with an occasional slight bump to 3667Mhz.

I was not able to find a place in the BIOS to set the TDP limit explicitly, like my Gigabyte AORUS B450 PRO WIFI has (*which didn't seem to have any effect on my 1st-Gen R5 1600 CPU in there).

I wonder if AMD has hard-coded "boost limits" into the 2700, so as not to cut directly into sales of the 2700X? (Makes some sense.) Of course, with manual OC, all of that power-saving / boost TDP limit stuff is disabled, so I'm pushing 139W package power right now. Thankfully I'm on water.

Sounds like yours is boosting as it should. 4.1 GHz under 1-2 thread load and 3.4 GHz all core boost plus a little extra if thermals allow is spot on.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds like yours is boosting as it should. 4.1 GHz under 1-2 thread load and 3.4 GHz all core boost plus a little extra if thermals allow is spot on.
Am I likely to harm my new CPU, if I OC it to 4.0Ghz fixed, and 1.325V? VSoC is on "Auto", which put it at 1.200V. Temps are around 68-72C.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Am I likely to harm my new CPU, if I OC it to 4.0Ghz fixed, and 1.325V? VSoC is on "Auto", which put it at 1.200V. Temps are around 68-72C.

VSoC might be too high. Try 1.15v or 1.175v and see if it's stable in memory-intensive tasks like y-cruncher or Prime95 Blend. Or just bench the memory.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

That's normal behavior for a 2700. As you can see in this chart, due to the 65w limit, when loaded it clocks down lower than a 2700X or 1800X (which have 105w and 95w designs).
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700/16.html

clock_analysis_compared.jpg

Every review I read for the 2700, the reviewer always stated that if a person didn't need the 65w CPU (HTPC, small cases with poor airflow, etc), the 2700X was the much better CPU (which was deemed the best overall desktop CPU for 2018 by most review sites).

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006

My research suggested 1.2v ACTUAL as being the max, with some systems going dangerously higher than set in BIOS (bad). It's not a good idea to be running near the limit if you can help it. During my short OC testing I achieved 4GHz with "stock" 2400MHz RAM, but also applied the XMP 3200MHz and was stable at 1.325v CPU and 1.1v SOC for at least an hour of testing. I had disabled LLC so the voltages were stable.

I'd say if you're fine running a locked speed OC that it's worth tuning your voltages as low as possible, it will reduce heat and degradation over time.

jaju123

Feb 1, 2014
My 2700x boosts to 4.1ghz all-core, and 4.35ghz single-core with "PE Level 3 OC" enabled in my Crosshair VII hero motherboard. Works great for both gaming and regular use as a result.
The only facts and evidence I have seen in this thread, I'm afraid to say, is that there is evidence someone can't figure out how to make their computer work properly despite 'decades' of experience. I would suggest you either return the defective motherboard (or blame Asrock) rather than blaming AMD. Saying "current zen has been bad enough I wont use it or recommend it to anyone" when it's evident that its your fault for either (1) not returning a defective product or (2) not understanding BIOS settings, is what makes it read like a hitpiece on AMD.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I reached my rage point, let me act my part and be pissed off for a while...

I think the issue people have with your post is that your experience has not been seen in quantity so far, which reasonably means that either you have a dud mobo or cpu.
Yet, you keep ragging on AMD as if they sold you and the world a lemon.
Since unknown thousands have been sold, and we've not seen any significant horror stories such as yours, we can assume its an outlier.
Something is a dud, and you've somehow made a profit off of it ?
How does that work, did you sell the system or piece it out without telling the new buyer, instead of just RMA'ing it to resolve the issue one way or another?
Frustration is understandable, however selling off dodgy gear is not good for your karma.

Last edited: