Ryzen 7 2700 seriously slow

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Well I'm back around the PC, but actually dealing with another issue here (water and sewer lines exploded under the house). It's 3 AM (just about to go to bed) but I decided to post a quick screenshot of what it's currently doing (reinstalled RyzenMaster for the "data"). If I have time after after the plumbing disaster I'll go through and try some of the things. These photos are with almost everything on default/auto (BIOS 2.0), except the RAM set with XMP. I forgot to have HWMonitor up at first, so a second shot with that in there...every fan is running the same speed and near silent/idle (20% PWM is like 800 RPM, fans are at like 30% under full load after running a while) and you can see the temps are in the low 40s. RyzenMaster reported the max speed as 3.275, but elsewhere I'm only seeing it at 3.2GHz +/- 25MHz. Oh and this is Prime95 26.6 (I have 29 as well), you can see I tried two threads for 30 minutes (initially trying to get high boost) before starting the rest (set affinity properly each time, image with HWMonitor is after ~10min of all core full load).

OZKiJFG.jpg

OhV9hZn.png

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Try rerunning Prime95 without using XMP settings. Also maybe try Cinebench R15 and, I dunno, SuperPi mod 1.5 XS?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
In that screenshot you are limited by the amount of current your CPU is drawing (EDC). What does That screen look like at idle or when the CPU is loaded with just a couple of threads?

Also something like Cinebench that will run 16 threads but not draw crazy power like Prime95 would be useful too.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
EDC is at max pretty much all the time. I'll look through the thread real quick and try some stuff. I have a second PSU here to try the "MORE POWAH!" option.
Just downloaded cinebench, I'll see if I can run that real quick...

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Odd thing though, I noticed the load voltage was much lower this time and the PPT power limit says 87 instead of 65w now. I recall the numbers being quite different before. More to investigate.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Did a quick test with R15, got a CPU score of 1485. The CPU actually ran close to 3.3GHz.
Now to read back through the thread.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Its starting to look to me like your bios is upping your vcore and the power manement is not working right. Try that small OC, run cinebench and show that Ryzen master screen again. Unless your cooling is a problem (does not look like it is) it should run pretty close to max stock on those EDC things, but run the right speed.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Tried the special Taichi CPU-Z, it seems to be broken (tried it a few times after a few reboots). Trying HWInfo64 (I don't like it as much as HWMonitor, to hard to read). I just did a full reset (again) tried it with an extra 4 pin plugged in...no change. Did another reset to try and "auto load" the newest BIOS. Says I have the newest version (2.0). I might try to manually flash the "latest". I am now trying a 3.8GHz manual setting at 1.325v (just a bit less than 4.0/1.3) 2400MHz RAM (default/auto).
Again seems like the CPU will run at 3.8 (drops to 3.7 full load), but locked at "full speed".

lK0EBEp.jpg

Odd it seems to be detecting a HDD that doesn't exists...looks like a 5TB Seagate? There's no HDD in this system at all, only the SSD.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Oh and at these settings RyzenMaster loses much of it's data.
Running Prime95 blend on all cores at these settings (for 10min) yields 65c at 700RPM fans (BIOS reset eliminated my fan profiles).

n5wBpk4.png

I dunno what the heck the deal is, it's ~29c/84f here...either I did an amazing job lapping/applying paste or the fans I chose are amazing, cause this heatsink is doing great with very low RPMs/noise. Only at about 1000RPM can you even hear the fans over the electronic noises, I can literally hear the cable box cooling fan in the other room over this thing.

Edit: Oh it's actually 27c/81f, read it wrong. Still it gets hot in this space (commonly mid 80s, can get into mid 90s), no AC or other cooling which is why I prefer to use bigger coolers vs the stock options. I do know the stock AMD coolers are pretty good. That new wraith cooler kinda reminds me of the old heatpipe cooler from the X6-1100T (reused those on a few lesser AMD chips).

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah I don't know what the deal is, I'm trying 3.9GHz - 3200 RAM now and this thing is still so slow it makes me want to rip my hair out. Windows still takes to long to boot, every friggen program takes 30 seconds to open etc. Web pages are down to like 1 second from 2-3, but still feels sluggish. Is there a better free SSD benchmark? The CPU is still obviously a problem area...but at 3.9GHz it still feels like it runs slow as $hat. I don't see any drivers for the EX920, did I just miss them? When I ran ASSSD the numbers seemed close...

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Well something just popped... readings suddenly/instantly went to 5.95GHz, voltage dropped to .672, temps went from 53c to 72c, fans went from 40% to 100% all kinds of crazy just happened. And now its back down to "normal"...that lasted a few minutes? What the heck was that?

jpesk2

Jan 10, 2019
Does your SSD have any RGB garbage on it (this can cause overheating), or is it by something else causing it to overheat? It actually sounds like it is a storage issue more than anything else.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It sounds like disk problems as far as boot times, etc, like an overheated NVME ? I have a heat sink on all my NVME drives, as my first one, when busy, slowed WAY down. Since the heatsink, no worries. What is your SSD ? It sounds like you have 2 problems, the SSD heat, and the BIOS, but the CPU@3.8 and temps are just great.

Reactions: dorion

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Well something just popped... readings suddenly/instantly went to 5.95GHz, voltage dropped to .672, temps went from 53c to 72c, fans went from 40% to 100% all kinds of crazy just happened. And now its back down to "normal"...that lasted a few minutes? What the heck was that?
Call an exorcist, hurry. :eek:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I never checked everything before, but this is odd. First, I have 3600 samsung bdie memory running@3466, thats OK< Hardcoded voltage and speed to 1.3 and 4.1 ghz. Ryzen master and CPU agree, but windows task manager says 3.7 WTF ?? Running a cooler master 240 AIO, and 77.5 temps. Bios is 1.35a. I had forgotten the X470 Taichi had a build in heatsink. Anyway, here is a screenshot of one of my 2700x's, maybe try my bios version ? but what memory again ? Oh, notice my uptime. This box has been running 24/7/365 at these settings. I must have rebooted for some reason a month ago.
uBHzmuu.png

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Power supply probably.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
After the "pop" I decided to try 4GHz all core. It's working harder now:

29orIjF.png

So there's no reason the CPU shouldn't be able to do it's claimed 4.1GHz with normal boosting. I decided I was willing to go for the "latest" BIOS but I can't for the life of me find a single friggen USB stick right now (there should be like 6-10 laying around somewhere).

My RAM is not B die, that was double the price for just a hair less latency (and probably some OC potential). Not sure if this is the exact RAM, but looks like it might be:
https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-Single-PC4-25600-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B07MNJKPSK?th=1 Got mine for like $72

Ohp found a USB, lets see if I can use it for a flash...

Reactions: Gikaseixas

Markfw

May 16, 2002
After the "pop" I decided to try 4GHz all core. It's working harder now:

29orIjF.png

So there's no reason the CPU shouldn't be able to do it's claimed 4.1GHz with normal boosting. I decided I was willing to go for the "latest" BIOS but I can't for the life of me find a single friggen USB stick right now (there should be like 6-10 laying around somewhere).

My RAM is not B die, that was double the price for just a hair less latency (and probably some OC potential). Not sure if this is the exact RAM, but looks like it might be:
https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-Single-PC4-25600-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B07MNJKPSK?th=1 Got mine for like $72

Ohp found a USB, lets see if I can use it for a flash...
Is that memory on the QVL ? Only thing with Ryzen, is its picky about memory. I have bad problems with Ballistic memory, even not on Ryzen.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Does your SSD have any RGB garbage on it (this can cause overheating), or is it by something else causing it to overheat? It actually sounds like it is a storage issue more than anything else.

No RGB, as stated before it's an HP EX920. Not sure about the temps on it, didn't find any drivers or reporting software etc. It's in an open area of the MOBO between the GPU/CPU (with 2 fans directly blowing air over it [front/side]). I did NOT use the AsRock heatsink, most information seems to suggest these bling jobs hurt thermals (blocking airflow and acting like a thermal blanket that puts the memory heat onto the controller).

Is there a software to check SSD temps? I'm not opposed to putting a heatsink on there if it actually helps.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Is that memory on the QVL ? Only thing with Ryzen, is its picky about memory. I have bad problems with Ballistic memory, even not on Ryzen.

That I'm not sure. The whole single sided/double sided thing is not something I've dealt with before. I don't know how to tell what's what with RAM on Ryzen. I did check the QVL and there was a Crucial 3200MHz listed:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

HCI Mem Test seemed to say the RAM is stable (I had run it to like 500%) during my initial testing.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
No RGB, as stated before it's an HP EX920. Not sure about the temps on it, didn't find any drivers or reporting software etc. It's in an open area of the MOBO between the GPU/CPU (with 2 fans directly blowing air over it [front/side]). I did NOT use the AsRock heatsink, most information seems to suggest these bling jobs hurt thermals (blocking airflow and acting like a thermal blanket that puts the memory heat onto the controller).

Is there a software to check SSD temps? I'm not opposed to putting a heatsink on there if it actually helps.
I think I found it in HWINFO, this COULD be your main performance problem, its not bling. Under a lot of use, it heats up quick, and shuts almost down. Use the ASRock heat sink. I found this problem way back when Ryzen first came out, and reported it. The X370 Taichi has NO heatsink. Without it, the PC came to a crawl. I will search for my thread/post, and try and link it here. Its a fact, they do get hot without a heatsink, and they slow wayyyyy down.

Edit: found it, in case it does not go to the post, its post 3572

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-ryzen-builders-thread.2499342/page-143#post-38888933

The NVME got so hot it locked up.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
OHHH shnap...
Did the BIOS flash and let it restart and go straight to windows to see the effects. Saw a 3.6GHz for a split second as things loaded in.
Let the testing begin again!

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Well single core boost hits 3.6GHz ? Ryzen Master says 4GHz.
Xz1CgX7.png

Better, but still not as advertised or what I'd expect. Somebody posted the "stock" boost levels from Toms? It's pretty disgusting how horrible the 2700 is vs the 2700x. Should remain 200-300Mhz slower at all core loads, as the advertised boost would suggest (and I was honestly expecting to be able to alter that boost level as Intel and old AMD allows [could adjust boost on my X6-1100T]).

I will say Ryzen Master started up faster, only took a couple seconds. Though HWMonitor is still to slow and hangs.
HAH! WHAT?! I just tried bumping Prime95 to full load and it closed itself. Don't tell me this stock BIOS aint stable...

I'm gonna try Cinnebench R15 again, stock vs stock, BIOS 2.0 vs 3.2
Still stuck at 3.2 - 3.3GHz with a score of 1478 (BIOS 3.2 fresh flashed) vs 1485 (BIOS 2.0 reset UEFI default)...so no performance gain.