Jan 31, 2017
Hello! I recently purchased all new PC components and built my first PC. I have been facing really weird issue with my ASUS STRIX RX 480 8GB @1266 MHz since purchase. After a few minutes while gaming, the whole system freezes (Sometimes with Grey screen and sometimes Black screen with buzz-sound) and requires a Hard Reboot. This happens only while gaming. I surfed all over the Internet and found many users with the similar issue but actually unsolved. Even me, I'm unsolved and can't really figure out what exactly is the problem going on. Majority of the people say that it is either the PSU problem or suggest to RMA the card. It is definitely is not the PSU problem, and no need of RMA either. By the way, I really don't do overclocking at all.

Here are the videos some guys posted with the similar exact issue I'm facing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2Vh9psWKI&index=4&list=LLuA9MPnkiCooZ2ENMDZD8kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxJHaR0Gng&index=5&list=LLuA9MPnkiCooZ2ENMDZD8kA

My PC specifications:
Intel Core i5-6500
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8x2) DDR4 2133MHz
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Motherboard
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Corsair VS650 650W Power Supply (I really don't blame my PSU, I think it's really enough to handle the GPU)
Case Coolers - Proper Airflow with 4 case fans installed
Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU cooler
ASUS STRIX RX 480 8GB 1266 MHz (Factory Stock)

What I tried, nothing worked:
  • I checked the temperatures and voltages of every component in my CPU using 'HW Monitor'. All the temps were fine. Here are the temps in 'Celsius': CPU: Min - 37c Max - 52c; GPU: Min - 45c Max - 77c; Mobo: Stays at 39c; Voltages showing: CPU VCORE: Value - 1.104V Max - 1.120V; +12V: Value - 12.288V Max - 12.384V; I find nothing odd in the monitoring. I think all these values are fine, right?
  • Tried 'DDU' Tool and re-installed all the latest Drivers for AMD (17.1.2). I have also tried with oldest drivers to the newest which doesn't help.
  • Some forums say that there is some bug in Windows 10 causing freezes and crashes. So, I tried playing and working with Windows 7. Nope, didn't help, same crash!
  • Tried clean installation of Windows 10 and of course, I disabled 'Windows automatic driver installation settings' with the help of some sites.
  • Tried maintaining GPU temps around 75c by adjusted fan speed in 'MSI Afterburner', the temps maintained good, but the issue is not the temperature.
  • Tried changing Windows Power options to 'High Performance' mode from suggestions from various sites.
  • Update BIOS settings and looked at any odd settings in BIOS, none looked odd (default settings).
  • Ran many tests using various softwares like Prime95, MemTest, FurMark etc. None of them showed errors and freezes.
  • Tried tweaking the GPU settings in 'Global WattMan' like Underclocking, Power Limit etc.
I repeated the above steps like 3 times but didn't solved. :(

Thinking of RMA? But why other users of RX 480 experiencing the same!? I am sure there is no GPU
fault at all.
All my system components are brand new and it's just 1 week old. Again repeating, no overclocking done, done all the major steps to take care of. If I search using keywords 'RX 480 Freeze PC', I can see many forums out there pretending to be solved.

What do you pals say? Any neat help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ultima_trev

Nov 4, 2015
While I can't say for certain of your GPU's root cause; I had such an issue with a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming RX 480 8GB. The problem was the default fan profile which was a bit on the weak side and didn't keep certain components on the PCB (mosfets, VRMs, VRAM, etc) cool enough despite the GPU core typically staying under 60-65C. GIGABYTE released a BIOS update to correct the issue and after the fan curve was corrected I haven't noticed any further issue.

Reactions: IEC and tamz_msc

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You say its not the PSU but have not mentioned testing with a known good PSU. Do that and report back. Also get another known good GPU and test it in your system.

Id bet money its either PSU, GPU, or possibly even the mobo but id lean more towards GPU or PSU.

May 11, 2008
While I can't say for certain of your GPU's root cause; I had such an issue with a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming RX 480 8GB. The problem was the default fan profile which was a bit on the weak side and didn't keep certain components on the PCB (mosfets, VRMs, VRAM, etc) cool enough despite the GPU core typically staying under 60-65C. GIGABYTE released a BIOS update to correct the issue and after the fan curve was corrected I haven't noticed any further issue.

I would try this as well first. OP should try wattman and set the fan profile to max rpm for testing purposes and see what happens to be sure.

After that, lower the gpu clock for testing purposes.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Since it is a new system, I'd also try running with 1 stick of ram. If it still freezes, try different slots and the remaining stick solo.

I tend to think this is not a GPU issue either, although I wouldn't rule it out. I think it's more likely RAM or PSU due to your description of what happens when it freezes. If you default all your BIOS settings, you can also try checking that it auto-detected appropriate timing settings for your memory. My motherboard by default had the wrong settings for my memory and I forced it to auto-detect again and for some reason it got it right when I manually ran the auto detect.

Also try the onboard video card on the processor to see if that rules out GPU.

Jan 31, 2017

I have checked with many fan profiles using both 'Global WattMan' and 'MSI Afterburner', tried changing fan speed to 4100 RPM to force maintain the temps but didn't help. I didn't tried updating the GPU BIOS though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2017
I would try this as well first. OP should try wattman and set the fan profile to max rpm for testing purposes and see what happens to be sure.

After that, lower the gpu clock for testing purposes.

Yes, I've tried setting the fan speeds to the maximum and also tried lowering the clock speeds but didn't help.

Jan 31, 2017
Since it is a new system, I'd also try running with 1 stick of ram. If it still freezes, try different slots and the remaining stick solo.

I tend to think this is not a GPU issue either, although I wouldn't rule it out. I think it's more likely RAM or PSU due to your description of what happens when it freezes. If you default all your BIOS settings, you can also try checking that it auto-detected appropriate timing settings for your memory. My motherboard by default had the wrong settings for my memory and I forced it to auto-detect again and for some reason it got it right when I manually ran the auto detect.

Also try the onboard video card on the processor to see if that rules out GPU.

I changed the RAM sticks to different DIMM slots on the Motherboard, but the issue didn't go. And oh, I didn't check the RAM timings. So, my RAM is DDR4 @2133 MHz. What are default/perfect timings you would suggest me to set to? For clarification, my Motherboard supports memory from 2133 to 3400 MHz.

Jan 31, 2017
You say its not the PSU but have not mentioned testing with a known good PSU. Do that and report back. Also get another known good GPU and test it in your system.

Id bet money its either PSU, GPU, or possibly even the mobo but id lean more towards GPU or PSU.

Oops, I don't have a spare PSU to check out. Will try checking the BIOS settings again and again.

Jan 31, 2017
I changed the RAM sticks to different DIMM slots on the Motherboard, but the issue didn't go. And oh, I didn't check the RAM timings. So, my RAM is DDR4 @2133 MHz. What are default/perfect timings you would suggest me to set to? For clarification, my Motherboard supports memory from 2133 to 3400 MHz.

Adjusted the RAM timings and same freeze happens. :( This didn't helped too. Alright, I will replace my card for NVIDIA.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Mismatched RAM timings don't cause game crashes, faulty RAM does. Run memtest to determine if RAM is the culprit.

The issue is most likely due to the card. Just return it for a Sapphire or MSI. ASUS RX 480s have issues.

Jan 31, 2017
Mismatched RAM timings don't cause game crashes, faulty RAM does. Run memtest to determine if RAM is the culprit.

The issue is most likely due to the card. Just return it for a Sapphire or MSI. ASUS RX 480s have issues.

As I said, I ran Memtest and found no errors. I will try to flash BIOS for the GPU.

Jan 31, 2017

Pal, I have two PCI-E connectors that came from my PSU. Will each cable make any difference or else all the same? One PCI-E connector is with many cables and the other is not. Which power cable should I connect? I know they are for Multi-GPU but just asking. :p

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Pal, I have two PCI-E connectors that came from my PSU. Will each cable make any difference or else all the same? One PCI-E connector is with many cables and the other is not. Which power cable should I connect? I know they are for Multi-GPU but just asking. :p

Is that Corsair VS650 power supply an older model or a recent one? I'm asking this because multiple rails on an entry level PSU can cause problems if internally the PCI-e connectors are not balanced properly. There was a guy asking on these forums about his RX 480 crashing during games. He had a Seasonic m12II 520W power supply which was an older model with multiple +12v rails. Hence, don't rule out the PSU just yet.

Jan 31, 2017
Is that Corsair VS650 power supply an older model or a recent one? I'm asking this because multiple rails on an entry level PSU can cause problems if internally the PCI-e connectors are not balanced properly. There was a guy asking on these forums about his RX 480 crashing during games. He had a Seasonic m12II 520W power supply which was an older model with multiple +12v rails. Hence, don't rule out the PSU just yet.

It doesn't have many +12 V rails. It has one CPU, 2 GPU, that's it. Right now, I'm testing my GPU.

Jan 31, 2017
I mean what are the specs of the PSU on the side sticker/box?

Here is what it's written on the PSU:

DC output - +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Max Load - 20A 20A 20A 50A 0.3A
Maximum Combined Wattage - 120W 600W 3.6W 12.5W

Edited: Tested my GPU now and again it crashes even after flashing BIOS. Alright, I have applied for return, I'll do it. -_- :(

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
You're sure about those specs? 20A on the +12V sounds wrong. Anyway, only two PCI-e connectors on a 650W unit does not inspire confidence.

Jan 31, 2017
You're sure about those specs? 20A on the +12V sounds wrong. Anyway, only two PCI-e connectors on a 650W unit does not inspire confidence.

I have seen those details on the top of the PSU itself. Or maybe, I typed wrong, sorry pal. :p

Here are the details from the official website:
Corsair VS650 ATX Power Supply
AC Input Rating DC Output Rating
AC Input: 200V - 240V DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5Vsb
Current: 5A Max Load 20A 20A 50A 0.3A 2.5A
Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz Maximum Combined Wattage 120W 600W 3.6W 12.5W
Total Power: 650W

Here is the link: http://www.corsair.com/en-in/vs-seriestm-vs650-650-watt-power-supply

I am returning my GPU in Amazon and I'll buy NVIDIA based GPU according to my PSU power. If you suggest me the GPU, what GPU will you recommend me for this PSU?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Most likely the issue is that your PSU cannot deliver clean power to the card. In that case, if you don't want to get a new PSU, just return the graphics card and get any GTX 1060 6GB that you like.

Jan 31, 2017
Most likely the issue is that your PSU cannot deliver clean power to the card. In that case, if you don't want to get a new PSU, just return the graphics card and get any GTX 1060 6GB that you like.

So, GTX 1060 can be handled by my PSU? I am thinking to buy a ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB. Is that good or else should I choose MSI?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So, GTX 1060 can be handled by my PSU? I am thinking to buy a ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB. Is that good or else should I choose MSI?

As long as it is powered by a 6-pin connector it should be alright. If you're from India, then Zotac is usually the best in terms of warranty and price.