Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 930 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I really hate to think what would have happened if Trump was in office when Putin invaded... as even on January 30, 2023, this fucking shitbag traitor is still romancing Putin.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I really hate to think what would have happened if Trump was in office when Putin invaded... as even on January 30, 2023, this fucking shitbag traitor is still romancing Putin.

Quote from NotTruth sm platform:

"Remember in Helsinki when a 3rd rate reporter asked me, essentially, who I trusted more, President Putin of Russia, or our 'Intelligence' lowlifes," Trump said in the Truth Social post.

"My instinct at the time was that we had really bad people in the form of James Comey, McCabe (whose wife was being helped out by Crooked Hillary while Crooked was under investigation!), Brennan, Peter Strzok (whose wife is at the SEC) & his lover, Lisa Page.

"Now add McGonigal & other slime to the list. Who would you choose, Putin or these Misfits?"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Quote from NotTruth sm platform:

"Remember in Helsinki when a 3rd rate reporter asked me, essentially, who I trusted more, President Putin of Russia, or our 'Intelligence' lowlifes," Trump said in the Truth Social post.

"My instinct at the time was that we had really bad people in the form of James Comey, McCabe (whose wife was being helped out by Crooked Hillary while Crooked was under investigation!), Brennan, Peter Strzok (whose wife is at the SEC) & his lover, Lisa Page.

"Now add McGonigal & other slime to the list. Who would you choose, Putin or these Misfits?"

How interesting it is to notice how Trump's words seem even more worthless and empty now that he has lost the authority and prestige that his former job gave him. I'm betting the sass and luster he once scammed his followers with is getting tarnished a lot quicker than DeSantis is trying his best to.

He's a has-been loser in life and his ego can't let go of that fact, so off he goes with the bluster and the non-stop lies to protect those many insecurities he's managed to develop over his lifetime of trying to be someone he could never be.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The biggest threat to Europe isn't Vlad the Butcher attacking them from the front.
It's Russian Republicans stabbing them in the back.

On that score it's odd how inconsistent the contemporary Tory Party is. On the one hand, Boris Johnson is _still_ trying to cosplay as Churchill, flying off to Ukraine even now he's no longer PM, and, more usefully, there are those Challenger 2 tanks...yet on the other this sort of thing keeps happening...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

"Ukraine war: Joe Biden rules out sending F-16 fighter jets"

Translation: Ukraine getting F-16s in two three months.

If F-16s go to Ukraine they'll likely be from European donors, not the US. They may be short of available tanks and IFVs but there is a lot of available air power.

Reactions: Leeea and kage69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Good lord no. Iran had trouble with a demented Iraq, with whom the latter was being supplied by the west. Their engagements were mostly tit for tat, with Iraq having the upper hand most times due to knowing the lay of their land. Iran would crumble in the face of an actual force like Israel who have experience in war and engagements.

I don't think it's that so much as just geography - the countries are a long way apart.

Iran is a vastly larger country than Israel. If Israel tried to invade Iran as Iraq did, I doubt it would go well for Israel (not that that is at likely, but just saying neither country is clearly militarily superior across all contexts, it depends on the nature of the conflict, and given geography I don't see what direct conflict they could have - all I can envision is Iran sponsoring local terror attacks on/in Israel, and Israel doing covert stuff in Iran).

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I don't think it's that so much as just geography - the countries are a long way apart.

Iran is a vastly larger country than Israel. If Israel tried to invade Iran as Iraq did, I doubt it would go well for Israel (not that that is at likely, but just saying neither country is clearly militarily superior across all contexts, it depends on the nature of the conflict, and given geography I don't see what direct conflict they could have - all I can envision is Iran sponsoring local terror attacks on/in Israel, and Israel doing covert stuff in Iran).
Israel has been making friends with various arab countries who don't like Iran. These countries would prefer Iran to lose whatever semblance of power they have in the region for the middle east. Israel doesn't need to send in foot soldiers. They have the tech to lob missiles from home and wait for Iran's infrastructure to crumble into nothing. Think of Israel as an extension of the us and uk, and not some little country.

Reactions: Leeea

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Sounds like yes to GLSDB and no still to ATACMS.

The US needs to quietly give ATACMS to the Ukrainians and not talk about. The Russians have been keeping their logistic hubs and other equipment just outside the current range with the HIMARS system. The US should give Ukraine a stockpile of ATACMS and then in one overnight time-frame have Ukraine do a sudden strike against the all the Russian targets in Ukraine that they thought were safe. Even knock out the Kerch bridge. That would put a monkey wrench into their planned offensive.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The US needs to quietly give ATACMS to the Ukrainians and not talk about. The Russians have been keeping their logistic hubs and other equipment just outside the current range with the HIMARS system. The US should give Ukraine a stockpile of ATACMS and then in one overnight time-frame have Ukraine do a sudden strike against the all the Russian targets in Ukraine that they thought were safe. Even knock out the Kerch bridge. That would put a monkey wrench into their planned offensive.

I agree. This war should come to a close sooner rather than later and making it nearly impossible for Russia to stay in Ukraine is the only likely way that happens.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

"Ukraine war: Joe Biden rules out sending F-16 fighter jets"

Translation: Ukraine getting F-16s in two three months.
The Poles have F-16s.

Even if they are pressured/prevented from transferring them to Uk, who wants to bet they're not already training Uk pilots on them?

The Poles.

They hate Russia.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Sunni vs Shia. Also Persian vs Arab. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
That's a gross over simplification of the issue. Iran has good relations with some Sunni nations/Arab countries. This has more to do with those countries friending Israel getting tired of Iran's antics. When KSA is coming out with a secret friendship with Israel under heavy police tape you know Iran's the major baddie there. If you recall from history books or if you were alive at the time, Faisel hated Jews big time. His own hatred fueled the fuel crisis because a few western nations decided to arm Israel during the YKW. During the reign of the last king if Iran, Iran was very much a regional power. Given its still current vast resources having been untapped and unadultered due to heavy sanctions for over 40 years they still amage to do that in a way through their unique steps to side step sanctions. This makes Iran a major threat to the nations befriending Israel while their people hate such steps.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
General Atomics wants to give Ukraine two MQ-9As with included ground station and training.

I don't see this ever happening. It's been discussed before. Gov isn't going to approve such a deal if there's even a remote chance RU will get their hands on it, intact or destroyed. I could see a stripped version exported, with most if not all equipment removed and replaced with off the shelf hardware limiting its performance but still being viable to be used. Sadly I see this war lasting through much if not all of this year hopefully concluding with a uk win by mid 2024 and hopefully an assisted suicide of Putin.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
General Atomics wants to give Ukraine two MQ-9As with included ground station and training.

First, the Reaper has to be the best name ever for an aircraft. It's too bad it's wasted on a Drone and not a Bomber.

Second, the tax payers will end up paying for this through the greatness of cost plus fixed fee contracting. Which, I don't mind, just saying.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I don't see this ever happening. It's been discussed before. Gov isn't going to approve such a deal if there's even a remote chance RU will get their hands on it, intact or destroyed. I could see a stripped version exported, with most if not all equipment removed and replaced with off the shelf hardware limiting its performance but still being viable to be used. Sadly I see this war lasting through much if not all of this year hopefully concluding with a uk win by mid 2024 and hopefully an assisted suicide of Putin.

RU probably already has gotten their hands on a Reaper. Reaper's have been lost in both Libya and Syria. It isn't like a Reaper is a F-35.

Reactions: Leeea and Ajay