Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 928 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why are you writing off losing the center?
The Luhansk offensive will have Russians on its southern flank after Bakhmut falls.
That isn't nothing.
It’s not much either though and Russia is suffering massive and disproportionate casualties along with losing equipment they can’t replace.

Very much like WW2 only this time Russia is the Nazis. Their first punch hit hard. Each punch after that has been weaker and weaker while their enemies are getting stronger. To me their alternatives are withdrawal or collapse.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Why are you writing off losing the center?
The Luhansk offensive will have Russians on its southern flank after Bakhmut falls.
That isn't nothing.

There’s a lot of ground between nothing and losing the centre. Ukraine isn’t using its reserves or manoeuvre groups, I trust them to judge how important Bakhmut is to them.

It’s a huge front, Russia wants to bleed there and Ukraine is obliging them. I suspect it’s similar to slow playing a poker hand. If they counterattacked in numbers Russia might stop pissing away their troops.

Reactions: Drach

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The sole factor keeping Russia from losing even worse is that the west has withheld some items that would likely trigger a complete military collapse in short order.

If Ukraine received air launched standoff range munitions, 155mm DPICM, and ATACMS the Russian front would implode quickly. About $300M worth of munitions would effectively cause the disintegration of the Russian army in Ukraine.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The sole factor keeping Russia from losing even worse is that the west has withheld some items that would likely trigger a complete military collapse in short order.

If Ukraine received air launched standoff range munitions, 155mm DPICM, and ATACMS the Russian front would implode quickly. About $300M worth of munitions would effectively cause the disintegration of the Russian army in Ukraine.
Almost like the West wants to leave Russia enough hope to continue self destructing.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Well then, Let's GO, Brandon!

007CWW_Christopher_Denham_003.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The administration does appear to be more open now to providing longer range strike capability. What form that will take remains to be seen.
Does the US still have some of the old 'Spooky' class gunships aka flying howitzers? They were retired in 2020.

If so, maybe give those to Ukr?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Was happy to hear about the boost, but Germany really needs a permanent domestic source for gunpowder and other propellants. Here's hoping they make the 155mm happen touts suite, Ukraine is going through 90k rounds/month. No German 35mm for several months sucks but at least it will happen. Also, hats off to Herr Papperger. Not only does his crew make great stuff, they have no delusions about working with Russia outside the only language that is understood.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Does the US still have some of the old 'Spooky' class gunships aka flying howitzers? They were retired in 2020.

Way too vulnerable in that environment.

They need stuff like Storm Shadow, SLAMRAAM-ER, AGM-158, AGM-154 JSOW, ATACMS, GMLRS-ER, NSM, etc.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Even more of a target than the A-10 for modern SAMs and troops with lots of MANPADS. Ain't happenin.

Edit: ha what K1052 said

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

I have no doubt that they're effective weapons, but I don't expect miracles.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Well currently most of the Russian armies are concentrated near Soledar and Bakhmut. Just use a few MOAB's and level the area.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Post-HIMARS the Russians moved everything vital just beyond GMLRS range. The US and Ukraine know where their important assets are but they’re mostly out of reach for the moment. If they have to move back again the present front can’t be maintained.

Reactions: Ajay

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Even more of a target than the A-10 for modern SAMs and troops with lots of MANPADS. Ain't happenin.

Edit: ha what K1052 said
so basically Spooky/A-10 can only be used once anti-air has been destroyed like the US did to Iraq?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
so basically Spooky/A-10 can only be used once anti-air has been destroyed like the US did to Iraq?
The A-10 is probably a bit more survivable but gun ships like the c-130 always required air superiority to be successful.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001

Bingo. Basically now days with the easy availably of MANPADS, close Air Support can be really dangerous fighting against any near peer adversary. The US got away with using A-10's in Iraq and Afghanistan because the insurgents really didn't have MANPADS. The USAF has known this for a couple of decades which is why they have tried to get rid of the A-10 and focus on precision weapon systems. Why risk a pilot in a A-10 when you can just use a unmanned MQ-9 Reaper and drop a JDAM or destroy them with a Hellfire missile? Our you can have a B-52 orbiting at 40,000 ft with a bomber bay full of JDAM's.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

More or less. Even then though, MANPADS still a huge threat. The last Spectre we lost was actually in Iraq, helping protect Khafji from Saddam. Crew was on egress out after shredding Iraqi formations. Sun was coming up (Spectres are night fighters) and they were getting ready to leave but Marines needed urgent help. They wheeled back in to work and were hit by a single shoulder launched missile. No survivors.

Last edited:

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Team Treason would like to remind us all exactly who they are.
Allowing Ukrainians to be killed is a #1 MAGA priority, and by extension, a Republican priority.

I would put it as helping Russia win more than anything. MAGA loves their authoritarian performatively masculine strongmen. Putin is really their ideal leader. Nominally a democracy, but he always wins somehow. Hates gays, minorities, and other cultures, is a pretend Christian, we could probably go on a while.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Somewhat offtopic, but now that Germany can import large amounts of 'liquid sunshine', they have begun investing in Australia. A couple of recent articles;

Timeline seems to be deliveries by 2030 at the latest.

Nordsteam might be able to pump again after a Russian loss, but Germany (and Europe) won't be caught short again.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Somewhat offtopic, but now that Germany can import large amounts of 'liquid sunshine', they have begun investing in Australia. A couple of recent articles;

Timeline seems to be deliveries by 2030 at the latest.

Nordsteam might be able to pump again after a Russian loss, but Germany (and Europe) won't be caught short again.
What I also like here is Western investment in resource rich Australia as opposed to China moving in.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So far Iran says a military installation in Tehran was attacked by "small drones."

They have not accused anyone in particular as of this hour. But if it was a military attack, I suppose Israel is a good first guess.
Apparently, it was isreal:

Wouldn't this lead to Iran declaring war on Isreal if true?

Last edited: