Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 737 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Is it really that quick a guy is served papers, etc.? How long does it take before they are actually in Ukraine, armed and in combat?
It varies a lot - some appear to get 30 days "training" before being shipped off, some are drop-shipped immediately. One conscript was documented as captured on the front lines 7 days after his call-up papers last week.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
but if you do gain air superiority, things like the small diameter bomb will shut down any ground vehicles/arty.
You don't even need air superiority... HIMARS ftw... again...

Boeing and Saab Group have modified the Small Diameter Bomb with a rocket motor to be launched from ground-based missile systems such as the M270 MLRS.[46] With the Army demilitarizing cluster munitions from M26 rockets, the company says a special adapter case could reuse the rocket to launch the SDB. After the motor launches it to a high enough altitude and speed, the wings will deploy and glide the bomb to its target. The company believes it can fill a gap for long-range precision fires while using its smaller warhead to save larger rocket munitions for strategic targets. While typical MLRS systems follow a ballistic trajectory, the rocket-launched SDB can be launched to an altitude and glide on a selected trajectory.[47][48] Boeing and Saab Group conducted three successful GLSDB tests in February 2015. The system is cost-effective, utilizing an existing weapon paired with a stockpiled rocket motor, while maintaining the loadout on a rocket artillery system. Unlike other artillery weapons, the GLSDB offers 360-degree coverage for high and low angles of attack, flying around terrain to hit targets on the back of mountains, or circling back around to a target behind the launch vehicle. The GLSDB has a range of 93 mi (150 km), and can also hit targets 43 mi (70 km) behind it.[49][50][51] In a 2017 demonstration, the GLSDB engaged a moving target at a distance of 62 mi (100 km).
Source

Scary smart stuff.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Copenhagen, Oslo and Berlin pulling that weight for Ukraine.

Danes sent a big chunk of funding, plus a did deal with the others to buy 16 new Zuzana II 155mm howitzers from Slovakia. Hope they double time it.

zuzana_2.jpg

Total compatibility with all NATO 155mm munitions, does MRSI like most modern platforms. 6 rounds/min in automatic mode, and with ERFB-BB shells can reach out to 41km with those warm regards.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You don't even need air superiority... HIMARS ftw... again...

Source

Scary smart stuff.

That much firepower condensed into something so accurate, it's something to behold. It's all the more impressive to the people using it as well - they've all grown up with the understanding that massed Russian artillery and rockets are the most powerful land force on Earth.

And now we've given them The Nasty M26. With that puppy a single battery of M270s launching 108 rockets (9 vehicles) is equivalent to 33 battalions of artillery guns. Ukraine is about to make a lot of Russian chutney. How many sessions of that before Russian forces just collapse is what I'm wondering.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It is still much too chaotic out there to proclaim much certainty about the Kherson front. Other than some Russian lines have collapsed and those in flight are confused, loud, and panicked. This does not mean all 20,000+ Russian military in that region are in flight. I am certain they will hold something by day break. The question will be how much Ukraine has gained, which we may need hours or even days to comprehend as the reports trickle out.

Instead, I found a keen insight into how well we trained the Ukrainians for this fight.
The sort of military strategy one assumed the Russians could muster. Instead, we gifted this expertise to our Ally. And Russian weakness has allowed it to pay off.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It would be very appropriate.

Collisions with the sea bottom happen. Fresh crew, new sub, out of date maps, things happen.

I am sure it will be 100% accidental when both halves collide with the sea floor in an area that is just way to deep for anyone to ever do recovery. If the sub just stops reporting in, who is to know what ever happened or where it went down?

Accidents happen. Especially with submarines. Everyone knows Yuri snuck a pack of cigs onboard.

Collisions are not always fatal:

This is a US Submarine ( USS San Francisco ) after colliding with an undersea mountain in 2005 at near 30 Knots. Of course we build ours much better than the Russians. She recovered and traveled back to Guam on her own power. And only one fatality.

1664764538560.png

Last edited:

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Interesting reports Russia has mobilized at least a moderate number of latest T-90M tank forces both in Crimea - that recently came over Kerch bridge to reinforce South (with active tank training ongoing now in Crimea) and now new photo confirming at least 6 in Belgorod close to Ukraine, presumably on way to reinforce or counter-attack at collapsing Luhansk front.

I would note Oryx has only seen 3 visually confirmed kills/captures of this latest T-90M model - out of 1240 odd tanks lost by Russia so far. So the best of the remaining Russian tank army appears to now be mobilized. Whether a last gasp, or the core of a significant new offensive drive, remains to be seen. Russia was thought to have ~100 of these latest tanks pre-war, so overall could be a fairly large armor reinforcement for a new offensive - if Russia can crew and supply them up to the front with proper support.

But Russia has to have gutted the last of their reserve armor divisions to field these...

Reactions: KMFJD and Leeea

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Interesting reports Russia has mobilized at least a moderate number of latest T-90M tank forces both in Crimea - that recently came over Kerch bridge to reinforce South (with active tank training ongoing now in Crimea) and now new photo confirming at least 6 in Belgorod close to Ukraine, presumably on way to reinforce or counter-attack at collapsing Luhansk front.

I would note Oryx has only seen 3 visually confirmed kills/captures of this latest T-90M model - out of 1240 odd tanks lost by Russia so far. So the best of the remaining Russian tank army appears to now be mobilized. Whether a last gasp, or the core of a significant new offensive drive, remains to be seen. Russia was thought to have ~100 of these latest tanks pre-war, so overall could be a fairly large armor reinforcement for a new offensive - if Russia can crew and supply them up to the front with proper support.

But Russia has to have gutted the last of their reserve armor divisions to field these...

I doubt we’re talking about them actually having gutted their tank reserves, although I suspect the best of them are gone, and what’s left is labourious to get into fighting shape. Picking spares out of a yard of tanks that have been poorly maintained for decades can’t be an efficient process. Spend a day pulling something, another day installing it, just to find out it’s no better than the original defective part. I would assume the people in the tank depots are at least lazy if not super competent and this are trying to save the easiest tanks in their inventory. Due to the lack of spares, zero production of many parts due to embargo, and generally poor practices the flow of equipment can only get worse, unless they choose to pilfer their units tasked for the imaginary NATO drive on Moscow.

All these tanks seem different enough from each other to require a decent amount of training, so that’s another obstacle to efficient use.

Reactions: Leeea

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I doubt we’re talking about them actually having gutted their tank reserves, although I suspect the best of them are gone, and what’s left is labourious to get into fighting shape. Picking spares out of a yard of tanks that have been poorly maintained for decades can’t be an efficient process. Spend a day pulling something, another day installing it, just to find out it’s no better than the original defective part. I would assume the people in the tank depots are at least lazy if not super competent and this are trying to save the easiest tanks in their inventory. Due to the lack of spares, zero production of many parts due to embargo, and generally poor practices the flow of equipment can only get worse, unless they choose to pilfer their units tasked for the imaginary NATO drive on Moscow.

All these tanks seem different enough from each other to require a decent amount of training, so that’s another obstacle to efficient use.

I think that's exactly what we are seeing right now. The T-90M has been fairly invisible until now in the war, and all of a sudden we're seeing a train full of them shipped to the front line? Sounds like they're digging into the stuff meant to defend the home front.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Well, I just saw something that... makes me question coexistence with Russia.
No, not on the battlefield. Nor the horrors of torture, rape, and genocide occurring throughout Ukraine.
What struck me is their public speech.

Do not focus on his criticisms of their process. Realize what their stated goal, purpose, and resolve is.
It is their intended purpose to use the entirety of Russia's existence... all its strength and all its resources... to work... for years into the future... to ensure Ukraine does not exist.
Russia vows to only live for the sole purpose of committing genocide.

My blood is boiling.
I do not fathom how we walk back from this. In defeat, will they find humility?

Deputy Chairman of the Defense Committee admits that Russia desperately needs to stop and regroup

• Wow
Reactions: Muse and Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
It is a bit spectacular how aircraft are ineffective in a modern warfare environment. If you send them in, they get blown out of the sky.
How its done is you HARM the enemy anti air installations then from higher than MANPADS can reach your planes be free to go up and down their lines, , using laser guided missiles. But air attacks don't win wars , just good for spot destruction I imagine, leaving aside nukes. Gotta have your boots, boots boots everywhere.