Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 736 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Where is K-329 Belgorod ?
You mean this Satan?

"NATO has sent an intelligence note to its member countries warning of the mobilization of the Russian nuclear submarine 'K-329 Belgorod', carrying the Poseidon nuclear missile, also known as the Weapon of the Apocalypse, the Italian daily 'La Repubblica' reports Sunday. "

"The nuclear torpedo was presented in 2018 by Russia as the way to ensure Russian military supremacy, although nuclear experts have argued that the same effect can be achieved with an intercontinental missile like those in operation since the 1960s."

Reactions: Leeea

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Difficult to keep track of the Kherson front line today, as reports come in that Ukraine has broke through as much as 15-20km deep and Russian lines are collapsing.
We'll need a moment for those gathering this information to watch it settle, and to draw new maps for Kherson.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Difficult to keep track of the Kherson front line today, as reports come in that Ukraine has broke through as much as 15-20km deep and Russian lines are collapsing.
We'll need a moment for those gathering this information to watch it settle, and to draw new maps for Kherson.
Yeah, the line is moving faster than the bloggers can update them :) Collapse along the Dnieper river roughly as shown below, but Russians are posting concerns about risk at Beryslav positions 50km further south along river vs. what is even shown below - apparently not much in the way of defenses before then
Edit: Darth Putin take added in

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Would it be inappropriate to wish for it to Kursk itself?

I've managed to not feel inappropriate about it for several hundred pages of this thread. More a knack really, very little training involved.

Kursk was hurtin from neglect and budget cuts. Belgorod is a new system that passed trials, I think the hardware is probably sound for sometime. If anything happens to it my money is on the cause being either Yuri or NATO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and cytg111

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Would it be inappropriate to wish for it to Kursk itself?
It would be very appropriate.

I've managed to not feel inappropriate about it for several hundred pages of this thread. More a knack really, very little training involved.

Kursk was hurtin from neglect and budget cuts. Belgorod a new system that passed trials, I think the hardware is probably sound for sometime. If anything happens to it my money is on the cause being either Yuri or NATO.
Collisions with the sea bottom happen. Fresh crew, new sub, out of date maps, things happen.

I am sure it will be 100% accidental when both halves collide with the sea floor in an area that is just way to deep for anyone to ever do recovery. If the sub just stops reporting in, who is to know what ever happened or where it went down?

Accidents happen. Especially with submarines. Everyone knows Yuri snuck a pack of cigs onboard.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Perknose

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah, the line is moving faster than the bloggers can update them :) Collapse along the Dnieper river roughly as shown below, but Russians are posting concerns about risk at Beryslav positions 50km further south along river vs. what is even shown below - apparently not much in the way of defenses before then

There is no way the Ukrainians are even near Beryslav yet but yeah there seems to be a level of panic. The Russians should have 2nd and 3rd lines of defense set up to fall back to but Dudchany is a ways for that.

Reactions: Leeea and Dave_5k

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is a bit spectacular how aircraft are ineffective in a modern warfare environment. If you send them in, they get blown out of the sky.
That is not even remotely the lesson I would take here. It’s like saying tanks are ineffective because Russia’s armor has gotten bodied. The more likely answer is that Russia’s armed forces are incompetent and few lessons should be taken by competent militaries.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
It is a bit spectacular how aircraft are ineffective in a modern warfare environment. If you send them in, they get blown out of the sky.

Aircraft are very vulnerable when providing close air support against a enemy that has access to MANPADS. It is better to launch PGM from 30,000+ feet from a B-52 and don't expose yourself to these weapons. Fortunately for Ukraine, most of the weapons that Russian aircraft drop are dumb and they have to get close to drop weapons with accuracy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Aircraft are very vulnerable when providing close air support against a enemy that has access to MANPADS. It is better to launch PGM from 30,000+ feet from a B-52 and don't expose yourself to these weapons. Fortunately for Ukraine, most of the weapons that Russian aircraft drop are dumb and they have to get close to drop weapons with accuracy.

Also Ukraine’s AD still works discouraging high altitude strikes because the Russian pilots aren’t looking to commit suicide.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i posted a video from YT-militaryaviationhistory where he interviews Justin Bronk about the air war in UKR.

the rus af has been crippled by lack of practice and actual air time due to underfunding from kleptocracy. even if they were properly funded, he questions if any air force(nato incl) other than the US af/navy is capable of prosecuting a full SEAD campaign. SEAD and DEAD is a specialty that you need to invest in, and many nations haven't seen the need to have the capability much less pay for it in the last 3 decades.

the USAF has its wild weasels and the navy has its growlers, but the only other dedicated sead squadron was/is the RAF and GER tornados(almost 50 years old). f-16 and f-15 can use the HARM but need the ecm pods to do the full role. to some degree the F-35 can give you some SEAD, but probably not the ability to completely dismantle an IADS like the US did in iraq.
but if you do gain air superiority, things like the small diameter bomb will shut down any ground vehicles/arty. as some military commenters on the news have opined, the US could shut down the russian army in less than a week.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Damn.
dOp6hyO.jpeg

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I would disagree.

I think the below statement would be more correct:
It is a bit spectacular how Russian operated <insert piece of equipment> are ineffective in a modern warfare environment.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Imagine being drafted two days ago.
Yesterday you had your refresher course.
Today you on the front of this clusterfuck with a rusty ak in one hand and half empty bottle of vodka in the other.
Time to die.
I really do feel for these poor dudes… its not their fight, some narcissist has just decided they have to die this day.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Today you on the front of this clusterfuck with a rusty ak in one hand and half empty bottle of vodka in the other.
Time to die.
I really do feel for these poor dudes… its not their fight, some narcissist has just decided they have to die this day.

they could always choose to shoot their commanders and maybe the bus drivers carrying them to their graves.

....or are the conscripts not given ammo because of this fear from command?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Russians are using cluster munitions all over the place so worries about UXO from the M26, which likely have way lower dud rates than soviet designs, is probably pointless.
If anything, those cluster munitions are more likely to detonated the UXO left behind from the soviet shit. It's like industrial scale minesweeping.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Today you on the front of this clusterfuck
with a rusty ak in one hand and half empty bottle of vodka in the other.
Time to die.
Is it really that quick a guy is served papers, etc.? How long does it take before they are actually in Ukraine, armed and in combat?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Is it really that quick a guy is served papers, etc.? How long does it take before they are actually in Ukraine, armed and in combat?
there were a few reports on the news with video of the conscripts sleeping on the ground for 3 days not being trained and supposedly being shipped to the front in 2 days. so about a week? but there was also the video of recruits shopping in consumer military supply stores to get all the stuff the army wasnt supplying, so they had some time before reporting for training to sit around.

Reactions: Muse and Leeea