Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 340 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Why is Russia even using supersonic missiles, much less hypersonic?
Does Ukraine have that great of an anti-missile defense system?
Really, we have practically the opposite. I bet they don't have any of the loitering capabilities our some of our cruise missiles have. Not sure if this is publicly known.

Reactions: Number1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Russian navy does not want to discover if the Ukrainians still have Neptunes. Then there is the problem that with the copious amounts of longer range anti-tank missiles in Ukraine's possession they may never leave the beach.

I'd probably be more worried about the Stugnas and Javelins. Maybe especially the Javelins given a top down attack would probably turn a ship's bridge into a viscera covered smoking crater.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Test ban treaties were intended to limit the development of new types/sizes really. Part of larger effort to reduce the stockpiles overall. Which did actually happen. We're way below the total #s of the 70s/80s.

And I can't remember exact dates, but we (US) did drastically reduce our atmospheric testing anyway, without needing treaties. I think all of our "recent" ones were subterranean. Russians loved to use SIberia as it was isolated enough for their liking. Maybe the French kept on with island testing, but I'm not sure.

Oh I'm fully aware of the former testing sites as I am of the idea of testing it in the upper atmosphere (which is a US only idea) which is why I wrote my reply the way I did. If you do this the biggest economy in the world will sanction you.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
I'd probably be more worried about the Stugnas and Javelins. Maybe especially the Javelins given a top down attack would probably turn a ship's bridge into a viscera covered smoking crater.

NLAWS and Javelins do quite the evil trick on those ships, mainly because they'll be still in the water as all propulsion is above the water line on those. An NLAW or Javelin (waste of a Javelin but whatever) can make it still and sinking in the water. There is no need to blow the ship up when you can sink it and save the crew.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
They all caused extremely significant damage, let's not downplay that.

Also, those were absolutely the most powerful of the most powerful that were used to test since just testing on Japanese people for no reason what so ever would have been frowned upon when you can't just outright lie and make it believable.

I think we have given you more than enough background to break down your unfounded claims. If you want to bring forward more malarky, start another thread.

Reactions: Muse and Number1

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
I think we have given you more than enough background to break down your unfounded claims. If you want to bring forward more malarky, start another thread.

I think you should take your retarded propaganda and shove it up your arse.

I'm not American, I have no loyalty to your idiotic tales that are not consistent with reality in the least.

This is fucking off topic for the threat in the first place so ... because you think I shouldn't disrupt your feel good bullshit I should start a new thread on a subject YOU fucking brought up?

Go fuck yourself.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Reactions: KMFJD

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
A mix of old soviet garbage and some newer small stuff. They had to beg the French to sell them their old Mistral helo carriers, a deal which never went through.

They also lack much amphibious capability which is one reason they've kept those ships away from Odessa. If they loose them they're impossible to replace.

Especially now given the sanctions. Anything lost in this conflict will take about 100 years to replace, as that will be when Siberia thaws and the oil reserves there can be extracted. Heck that might be China by then.

Reactions: Number1

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
I think you should take your retarded propaganda and shove it up your arse.

I'm not American, I have no loyalty to your idiotic tales that are not consistent with reality in the least.

This is fucking off topic for the threat in the first place so ... because you think I shouldn't disrupt your feel good bullshit I should start a new thread on a subject YOU fucking brought up?

Go fuck yourself.

Thanks Oracle. Clearly no one knows more than you.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Thanks Oracle. Clearly no one knows more than you.

It does not take an oracle to know that the US nuked two cities after Japan had already surrendered but they don't teach you that.

It does not take an oracle to know how the US test bombings have affected the environment, it's MEASURABLE!

It does not take an oracle to know that atmospheric tests would be absolutely devastating, it just takes a bit of education. Something you don't have and apparently don't agree with.

YOU do not know jack shit, that doesn't mean that no one else does, take your victimhood and pathetic ego and shove it up your arse.

Your "assertion" is beyond the pale of any sane, factual debate. Don't ever post such again. Take two weeks off so that you can better take this directive to heart.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsleath

May 4, 2007
I don't know about you but I wouldn't feel very secure if handed kit to protect against chemical weapons...
or nuclear.... what? , a lead lined parasol?

It does not take an oracle to know how the US test bombings have affected the environment, it's MEASURABLE!
many countries did nuclear tests....
there were Hundreds of tests.

russia still has over 6000 nukes.
supposedly. even if not accurate it's enough to end the world as we know it. :-/

i haven't felt this sort of fear since the reagan era.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11 and Muse

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Test ban treaties were intended to limit the development of new types/sizes really. Part of larger effort to reduce the stockpiles overall. Which did actually happen. We're way below the total #s of the 70s/80s.

And I can't remember exact dates, but we (US) did drastically reduce our atmospheric testing anyway, without needing treaties. I think all of our "recent" ones were subterranean. Russians loved to use SIberia as it was isolated enough for their liking. Maybe the French kept on with island testing, but I'm not sure.
Advancements in computing also reduced the need to do real-world testing. We can model a thousand times as many detonations, a thousand times faster, for 1/1000th the cost of actually detonating them.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

You have to wonder if their captains would get close to the beaches, even if ordered. Wasn't there already one attack called off because the navy just refused?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
It does not take an oracle to know that the US nuked two cities after Japan had already surrendered but they don't teach you that.

They don't teach that because it is 100% not true.

They were negotiating a CONDITIONAL surrender with the Russians. The US demanded nothing less than an UNCONDITIONALSURRENDER.

They had not surrendered. Take your bullshit somewhere else.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
YOU do not know jack shit, that doesn't mean that no one else does, take your victimhood and pathetic ego and shove it up your arse.
What are you so fucking pissy about? Odds are none of us were even alive when the shit you're talking about was taking place.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
So the US has officially declared that Russia is committing war crimes in Ukraine. Can we get involved now please?