Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 338 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
General rule of thumb for missile velocities
  • Cruise missiles - subsonic, rely on stuby wings and jet engine to fly
  • Air to Air missiles - supersonic
  • Ground to air missiles - supersonic to hypersonic depending
  • ICBM, SCUD, any ballistic missile - hypersonic / sub orbital speeds

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And yet I still know Americans with no ties to Russia who are saying Putin "isn't as bad as people are making him out to be" and that "something just doesn't seem right about Zelenskyy."

Well, there are a lot of Americans who still think the election was rigged and Biden is not a legitimate President. People are STUPID and often act controversial just to be "smarter" than the popular belief.

And, in all fairness, Zelenskyy's ratings were pretty low before the invasion. Something like 30% wanted him to run for another term. Certainly is a hell of a war-time leader. Maybe wasn't a great "President" though? (I don't know enough to formulate an opinion)

Reactions: Number1 and dank69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Definitely want to know more about Shoigu.

Putin has been sacking people left and right over this epic goatfuck in Ukraine, hard to believe his head of Defense would escape accountability. The stress of being in that position, answering to who he does at a time like this, I can see how that might do a number on a 66yr old Russian heart. But then, 'chemical retirement with no traces' is a time honored tradition with it's own research center in Russia.

Maybe he made a move, or spoke about one while being monitored? We'll see.

I will be a little surprised if he surfaces again. If Putin has a final play to enact while he can, Shoigu's highest and best use may be as a scapegoat. Sure isn't planning invasions.

*cough*

rOdxFCb.png

Nov 17, 2019
Shoigu hasn’t been seen in almost two weeks.

So Shoigu probably either arrested or dead then.
Yeah, funny how you have heart trouble after you've been thrown out of a window.
Tentatively chalk up one 4-star general (Sergei Shoigu) on the casualty list potentially (indirectly) caused by Ukraine. I believe he is Russia's highest ranking Army officer: titles include Hero of the Russian Federation, General of the Army, and Defense Minister...
"heart problems"
Edit: Oops, K1052 beat me to it above
Novichok has a way of causing heart problems.
Definitely want to know more about Shoigu.

Putin has been sacking people left and right over this epic goatfuck in Ukraine, hard to believe his head of Defense would escape accountability. The stress of being in that position, answering to who he does at a time like this, I can see how that might do a number on a 66yr old Russian heart. But then, 'chemical retirement with no traces' is a time honored tradition with it's own research center in Russia.

Maybe he made a move, or spoke about one while being monitored? We'll see.

I will be a little surprised if he surfaces again. If Putin has a final play to enact while he can, Shoigu's highest and best use may be as a scapegoat. Sure isn't planning invasions.

*cough*

rOdxFCb.png
You're thinking he was Rommeled?

Reactions: Number1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, if Siberian airbursts would doom us all, why aren't we all dead after Bikini Atoll, Vegas and all of the other airburst tests of the 50s?
A few nukes by themselves don't doom life on earth. Those nukes weren't designed to do that, they were test weapons.

Reactions: Number1
Nov 17, 2019
DailyFail says 16,000 failed Russian troops:

'15,600 Russian soldiers have now been killed', as Ukraine goes on the counter-attack: City is recaptured and Putin's forces are pushed back in the south as Pentagon says ...

www.dailymail.co.uk.ico
Daily Mail|3 hours ago
Ukrainian forces have recaptured the city of Makariv, to the west of Kyiv and are also attacking in the south and east as generals say 15,600 Russian troops have now been killed.

If yUKe has so many missiles, how is this possible ?

Russian air force action increases despite flood of antiaircraft missiles into Ukraine

www.msn.com.ico
Washington Post on MSN.com|15 hours ago
On Monday, a senior U.S. defense official said Russia had flown about 300 sorties in the previous 24 hours, up from an average of about 200 per day earlier in the war.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Now this makes me happy. Ukrainians capture undamaged Krasukha-4 unit

Outstanding. Get that on a C-17 headed West stat. We could see tangible security/combat dividends from this for decades.

One decade, maybe. I don't think Russia is a conventional threat to anyone after Ukraine. Not anymore.

Surely their armed forces equipment will be wholesale replaced with newer Chinese tech. If Russia does not collapse and become friendly towards the West, they will serve the East as a vassal state.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Not according to multiple media sources. I'll just drop the wiki on the Kinzhal here.

A few things I picked up from reading several news reports. US officials think that Russia is running low on precision guided missiles, which is why they used this, in spite of not having that many of them and the fact it is still being tested.

The original source of information on the missile's capabilities came from Putin and the Russian government. It's unclear if any it has been corroborated by US intelligence.

Nonetheless, media everywhere is reporting that this missile is evasive and cannot be intercepted. So if you've got a better source, please link it. If the media is getting this wrong, I'd like to know why.

My sources have been various reports\analysis from multiple government reports, think tanks and various organizations over the past 25+ years of me having weird hobbies.
Gonna be a bit time consuming to start digging up a lot of that stuff and getting it cleaned up for readability.
My goto source is off the top of my head.
If I have go and dig all that shit up, I'm going to edit that wiki page myself since plenty of reporters are using that as one of their sources in their reporting.

That and the Kinzhal is an air launched Iskander-M and it is considered an ALBM (air launched ballistic missile).
Kinzhal's claim to fame is that it can be carried by a MIG-31's. The big change is the launch system (the Mig) not the missile itself. This is equivalent to the old days when we moved from silos to mobile launchers. We had the same sort of "OMG We are defenseless and we are all going to die attitude" when asking for defense project money.
Iskander big claim to fame was integration of GLONAS for targeting
It's predecessor used onboard radar and "stuff" to find targets.
the predecessor of its predecessor is the SCUD.

The brochure says "zig zag" and maneuverable.
The reality is that the maneuverable part is just small course corrections to keep it pointed at the glonas coordinate and that on unpowered craft....maneuver = drag
Drag creates heat and slows you way the fuck down.

The big scary monster are air breathing hypersonic missiles. Missiles that are able to maintain speed while maneuvering and have sensors to detect when its detected to trigger maneuver profiles.
That shit is scary. At least until lasers become a mainstay of a layered area defense system.

My original sources could all be bullshit written by hacks so you can take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I can be completely full of shit and based all this off a GI Joe cartoon from the 80's
It doesn't matter.
I do recommend that if you are interested in the the topic to look toward the congressional research service, senate reports and artifacts generated by the DOD in their reporting to the government. Also old standby sites such as fas.org.

All I can say is that it is in our interest to hype up the capability of Russian equipment because it makes the job of requesting funding for projects much easier for the public to swallow.
So I'll withdraw my argument for the greater good.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
  • A Kremlin spokesperson told CNN in an interview that Russia would only use nuclear weapons if its existence were threatened
Quoted from a globe and mail article updated minutes ago.

Like I said before, they are no more interested than us in burning in a nuclear inferno.
Kick them out of Ukraine

that could be interpreted in various ways. They could claim that the sanctions are threatening their existence.

Reactions: feralkid