Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 339 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
If yUKe has so many missiles, how is this possible ?

Russian air force action increases despite flood of antiaircraft missiles into Ukraine

www.msn.com.ico
Washington Post on MSN.com|15 hours ago
On Monday, a senior U.S. defense official said Russia had flown about 300 sorties in the previous 24 hours, up from an average of about 200 per day earlier in the war.

Pressure from leadership to do more regardless of losses. Or, dropping dumb bombs from altitude.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Tentatively chalk up one 4-star general (Sergei Shoigu) on the casualty list potentially (indirectly) caused by Ukraine. I believe he is Russia's highest ranking Army officer: titles include Hero of the Russian Federation, General of the Army, and Defense Minister...
"heart problems"
Edit: Oops, K1052 beat me to it above
He was considered at least one of likely successors to Putin.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
A few nukes by themselves don't doom life on earth. Those nukes weren't designed to do that, they were test weapons.

They all caused extremely significant damage, let's not downplay that.

Also, those were absolutely the most powerful of the most powerful that were used to test since just testing on Japanese people for no reason what so ever would have been frowned upon when you can't just outright lie and make it believable.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Also, those were absolutely the most powerful of the most powerful that were used to test since just testing on Japanese people for no reason what so ever would have been frowned upon when you can't just outright lie and make it believable.

I think what they were referring to is that any test detonations would have been done with minimizing fallout (unless that was the test case) as much as possible. At least for western testing ...

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Do you ever wonder why we don't do that anymore? It's because the fallout was really significant. https://www.epa.gov/radtown/radioactive-fallout-nuclear-weapons-testing

The fallout from each and everyone was world wide and should never have happened.
Sure, but my point was to explain why those tests didn't just kill everybody, did you not check the discussion? I was not downplaying the folly of the tests. :rolleyes:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
One decade, maybe. I don't think Russia is a conventional threat to anyone after Ukraine. Not anymore.

Surely their armed forces equipment will be wholesale replaced with newer Chinese tech. If Russia does not collapse and become friendly towards the West, they will serve the East as a vassal state.

Interesting how common wisdom said they had a large, well trained and well equipped army with ample cutting edge weaponry. All funded by an economy the size of Brazil.

When in actuality it appears they've just been cruising on their Cold War rep.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Are their ships as fragile as their tanks?

Their sole aircraft carrier is a floating pile of scrap that is insufficiently manned, maintained, and operated to be of much military use. That is when it isn't busy being under repair for years, sinking its dry dock, having a massive crane fall through the flight deck, or literally on fire.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Reactions: Muse
Nov 17, 2019
Their sole aircraft carrier is a floating pile of scrap that is insufficiently manned, maintained, and operated to be of much military use. That is when it isn't busy being under repair for years, sinking its dry dock, having a massive crane fall through the flight deck, or literally on fire.
And the others? Battleships, landing craft, destroyers, etc?

All floating artificial reefs?

• Haha
Reactions: Number1

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Sure, but my point was to explain why those tests didn't just kill everybody, did you not check the discussion? I was not downplaying the folly of the tests. :rolleyes:

I did not, my apologies for busting into a conversation without knowing the context. My point was only about the idea that it had no significant fallout.

I should have read the previous posts you were replying to to get the context, again, my apologies for not doing so.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And the others? Battleships, landing craft, destroyers, etc?

All floating artificial reefs?

A mix of old soviet garbage and some newer small stuff. They had to beg the French to sell them their old Mistral helo carriers, a deal which never went through.

They also lack much amphibious capability which is one reason they've kept those ships away from Odessa. If they loose them they're impossible to replace.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
We stopped because of test ban treaties.

But that wasn't the discussion at hand. It was why atmospheric testing didn't present an apocalyptic scenario.

Well, yeah, but why were the treaties put in place?

I think atmospheric testing would be absolutely horrid but it's not my field. I do know that atmospheric testing would be WORSE than other forms of testing because that is a given considering how precipitation works from the outer to the inner layers of the atmosphere.

I believe any nation doing that, knowing full well that it is a worldwide distribution of particles that carry high radiation count should be sanctioned.

Reactions: Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Sounds like reason to go after them.

Russian navy does not want to discover if the Ukrainians still have Neptunes. Then there is the problem that with the copious amounts of longer range anti-tank missiles in Ukraine's possession they may never leave the beach.

• Haha
Reactions: Number1

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Russian navy does not want to discover if the Ukrainians still have Neptunes. Then there is the problem that with the copious amounts of longer range anti-tank missiles in Ukraine's possession they may never leave the beach.

NLAW's do quite the job on a hull, we've seen that before.

Reactions: dainthomas

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Well, yeah, but why were the treaties put in place?

I think atmospheric testing would be absolutely horrid but it's not my field. I do know that atmospheric testing would be WORSE than other forms of testing because that is a given considering how precipitation works from the outer to the inner layers of the atmosphere.

I believe any nation doing that, knowing full well that it is a worldwide distribution of particles that carry high radiation count should be sanctioned.

Test ban treaties were intended to limit the development of new types/sizes really. Part of larger effort to reduce the stockpiles overall. Which did actually happen. We're way below the total #s of the 70s/80s.

And I can't remember exact dates, but we (US) did drastically reduce our atmospheric testing anyway, without needing treaties. I think all of our "recent" ones were subterranean. Russians loved to use SIberia as it was isolated enough for their liking. Maybe the French kept on with island testing, but I'm not sure.