Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 199 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I will be very interested to learn the reasons behind this someday. As far as I am aware the Russian air force was supposed to be massively quantitatively and qualitatively superior to that of Ukraine but they are not operating that way.

Failure to locate and eliminate ground based SAM and AAA assets likely due to poor intelligence and preparation probably where it starts. Also strategically they thought the Ukrainian military would basically fold from the outset so hard to recover from that now.

Reactions: dank69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Look at their ground vehicles. Little to no maintenance.
They are probably scared the wings will fall off the aircraft.
Very possible! One of the potential reasons I've read is something along those lines - that due to poor maintenance and training budgets they might not be able to employ all their aircraft due to lack of working ones and qualified people to fly them. If so, what a colossal clusterfuck - did Putin not know?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Failure to locate and eliminate ground based SAM and AAA assets likely due to poor intelligence and preparation probably where it starts. Also strategically they thought the Ukrainian military would basically fold from the outset so hard to recover from that now.
I can see that for the ground war but as far as the air war goes from my understanding there's still no indication of a big increase in operational tempo for air forces. You would think they would be trying to correct this?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I will be very interested to learn the reasons behind this someday. As far as I am aware the Russian air force was supposed to be massively quantitatively and qualitatively superior to that of Ukraine but they are not operating that way.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is intelligence. They know where to be when and probably more important where NOT to be when. I mean, what else can it be??

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Very possible! One of the potential reasons I've read is something along those lines - that due to poor maintenance and training budgets they might not be able to employ all their aircraft due to lack of working ones and qualified people to fly them. If so, what a colossal clusterfuck - did Putin not know?

Late-stage dictators are notoriously surrounded by sycophants and yes-men. Pretty good chance he actually thinks everything is going great.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I can see that for the ground war but as far as the air war goes from my understanding there's still no indication of a big increase in operational tempo for air forces. You would think they would be trying to correct this?

Well the Ukrainians appear to be shooting down an increasing number of Su-25s and other stuff the past couple days so maybe the Russians are indeed stepping things up but the country is also now brisling with MANPADs. So yea...hard to recover.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Look at Putin on TV. He has isolated himself and only speaks to Yes-men who are scared to death their next answer will get them killed.
Putin has turned Russia into a much larger North Korea.

This top advisor was ready to piss himself.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I think it's probably a combo of a few different reasons:

1) They have maintenance issues like the rest of their equipment
2) I think they have weather related issues they don't want to admit
3) Stingers have had more of an impact than they thought
4) trouble finding "legit" targets that they can actually hit

The more we see, the more bush league their conventional forces look. Unless this is all some clever ruse, I have to say the PR nightmare of what in reality is the Russian teddy bear is going to be hard to shake.

Reactions: KMFJD

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
The only NATO country that hasn't imposed any sanctions to Russia, guess who ......

2560px-Sanctions_2014_Russia2.svg.png

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The only NATO country that hasn't imposed any sanctions to Russia, guess who ......

Yes, but Turkey has kept supplying drones that are obliterating armored columns.
Rewriting warfare in the 21st century, and demonstrating a fraction of what we are capable of.
We should be careful in how we address them. Keeping them as an ally is a top priority.

And yes, I would have had a much harsher response had I not learned that their weapons turned the tide of the war.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Put him on ignore. If everyone puts him on ignore, it's almost like he's permanently banned. No one will see his trolling except for the few of his kin, so they'll just circle jerking themselves.
Sometimes, I drove back to the place I grew up. I pay attention to all the tings I didn't notice growing up. Mostly that is was a shit hole. I then realize how fucking awesome my life is now.

This is why you don't put him on ignore. It helps contrast reasonable and intelligent people versus an absolute moron who is either stupendously stupid or just a grad F F troll.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yes, but Turkey has kept supplying drones that are obliterating armored columns.
Rewriting warfare in the 21st century, and demonstrating a fraction of what we are capable of.
We should be careful in how we address them. Keeping them as an ally is a top priority.

And yes, I would have had a much harsher response had I not learned that their weapons turned the tide of the war.

Turkey's stance has been confusing for a while now. On the one hand, Turkey and Russia are traditional adversaries, and clearly have conflicting interests in Syria. On the other hand, they are both run by wanna-be 'strongmen' with fascist impulses, and a desire to supress national minorities (Turkey having been supressing Kurdish desire for self-determination for a long time, plus occupying half of Cyprus), and maybe there's a certain kind of "professional courtesy" that kicks in when fascists deal with each other. Turkey did buy weapon systems from Russia not long ago. I guess they have a similar attitude to Western social liberalism also.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Russia continues to suffer massive losses. Supposedly there is a video of this but I have no intention of watching.

I've skimmed the video. Straight up out of a movie. Bodies dismembered, burned, tanks tops blown off, bodies literally all over the street. It's very gruesome.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Really they should transfer the A-10s to the Army. USAF doesn't want that because the army isn't supposed to have fixed wing aircraft, but the USAF wants sexier equipment too.
Yea, they need to get over this, not allowed to have fixed wing aircraft BS. Especially, since someone in the Air Force might have to risk their lives getting below 15OOO ft.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
In regards to Turkey and sanctions, they have been suffering from massive inflation and are pretty reliant on Russian energy imports.

Also, not all sanctions are the same

hM3thaF.jpg