Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
th

The reason Putin is free to invade Ukraine and NATO won't do anything is because he has Nuclear weapons, all military confrontations between Russia and NATO will end up going nuclear, and unless Americans and Europeans want to see many of their cities go up in smoke they won't try to crush Russia.
Why would Putin use nuclear weapons, the one thing that would absolutely and unequivocally end his reign?

Reactions: RnR_au

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The reason Putin is free to invade Ukraine and NATO won't do anything is because he has Nuclear weapons, all military confrontations between Russia and NATO will end up going nuclear, and unless Americans and Europeans want to see many of their cities go up in smoke they won't try to crush Russia.
Oh that’s definitely wrong. They would only go nuclear in the case of one or the other thinking their existence was at stake. If we annihilated Russia’s invading army in a Baltic state or whatever they would take the loss and go home.

It’s not something we should want for about a thousand reasons but the idea that any conflict between nuclear powers would necessarily go nuclear is not accurate.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah, remember a guy named Adolph thought that too. And maybe Napoleon? I don't recall too much about that one.

Meanwhile, is it any surprise that Donny Wuvs Vlad? We all knew that, right?
He said destroy the army not capture and hold Moscow. If he attacked a NATO country a rather significant portion of the army would have to be pretty far away from Moscow and within much easier reach

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
th

You remember when Trump pulled this one off?

So, mutual assured destruction. Probably why Putin wanted his shit upgraded and he got his wish from The Orange Menace.

Thats why tanks can roll and shells fly, cause they do it under a cover of mutual assured destruction.

War in proxy states? Sure why not. But if the battle were to turn sour and push up against your own borders, then there's always the nuke button.

NATO troops may be able to beat Russia out of Ukraine, but you could never actually go for the man himself. He's got the button.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Reading the article, it seems Trump actually thinks Putin is acting peacefully and trying to help the people of Ukraine.
What was the 1st impeachment about? Withholding funds from Ukraine for defending themselves from Russia unless they made up a story about Biden?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Here is a really great slightly contrarian video, he makes strong points I can't contest. It's from 2015.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I still think with all this invading going on, that America needs to take advantage and invade Mexico and take over Mexico making Mexico part of the united states thus ending the illegal immigration problem and allowing every us corporation the right to move their operations and manufacturing plants down to Mexico because Mexico would now be part of the united states. Lets just call it Texas South. Take down that wall, and replace with a red carpet.

ps. I dont even think Mexico has a military. How easy could this be???

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Oh that’s definitely wrong. They would only go nuclear in the case of one or the other thinking their existence was at stake. If we annihilated Russia’s invading army in a Baltic state or whatever they would take the loss and go home.

It’s not something we should want for about a thousand reasons but the idea that any conflict between nuclear powers would necessarily go nuclear is not accurate.
I’m reminded of these quotes from The Hunt for Red October that suggest why it’s a bad idea.

Jeffrey Pelt : It would be well for your government to consider that having your ships and ours, your aircraft and ours, in such proximity... is inherently DANGEROUS. Wars have begun that way

bbb2bf93665f216c66d4cbddf60b2332.png

That’s why it’s a bad idea to get our troops into close proximity with Russian troops.

Of course that goes both ways. Stack NATO troops at NATOs borders and Russia will have to think long and hard about pushing into NATO countries.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I still think with all this invading going on, that America needs to take advantage and invade Mexico and take over Mexico making Mexico part of the united states thus ending the illegal immigration problem and allowing every us corporation the right to move their operations and manufacturing plants down to Mexico because Mexico would now be part of the united states. Lets just call it Texas South. Take down that wall, and replace with a red carpet.
Haha. U tryin' to own the deplorables?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Haha. U tryin' to own the deplorables?

Im just saying.... get on the band wagon. Who really cares about Putin when Biden could be making all the headlines.
"Biden invades Mexico. 125 million Mexicans immediately become US citizens. US stock market skyrockets. Job vacancies immediately filled. US unemployment drops to zero. Donald Trump left totally speechless, flees to France."

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

What I worry about is Russia resorting to small yield "non strategic" nukes to prevent a defeat. They have roughly 2000 of them. The US has 200.

I feel this can encourage Russian risk taking, which I'd like to see no more of.

NailBanger

Banned
Feb 16, 2022
Clearly you are didn't actually watch the video, and are posting from ignorance of it's content.
Yes I watched the video and ended it right after they talked about "russian speaking". There was no reason to watch it further because it immediately came off as apoligistic to putin feels which I have zero patience for.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I was glad to see the Germany on board. If anything is going to work all of NATO has to stand together or Putin will take advantage of the cracks.

I will however state that I agree with @senseamp on the premise that an invasion of Ukraine is truly a bad idea for Russia. With the more area invaded the worse it's going to be. It doesn't make rational sense from the outside to do what he's doing. However from an internal Russian political angle and from an ego perspective I think it does make sense that Putin will keep pushing. He didn't break NATO at the start and spent $$$$ moving troops so he's going to keep throwing time, money and lives until he gets some short term benefits. I guess he figures he can mitigate or insulate himself from the long term downsides of targeted sanctions and economic damage.

Thing is, no one here is really arguing to the contrary. They have a small economy compared to the West, about the size of Italy, or New York. Russian stock values plummeting and lost arms exports for the month of February alone is >65billion (me combining two numbers I saw earlier, it's probably low ball.) That's gotta hurt, and will be getting worse I think.

More at issue was his denial of reality for so long, the early proclamations of victory, only to be proven wrong by Putin yesterday. Bad mix. Not really much contrition there either.

Anyway, I'm glad NS2 is canned, don't get me wrong, but until Germany can get over this apprehension of arming those resisting fascist invaders I will be reserving my praise for the heavy lifters.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No they won't, it is dead in the water as we speak, Sweden is going to require them to dismantle the parts in their territory as well and Europe will take care of Ukraine.

Putin is a fucking imbecile, he just fucked Russia for the next three decades.
He did goof up with the recognition of those republics. No upside to Russia, but big downsides. He could have just continued to defend them without the official recognition and the blowback. I think he didn't read the room and has no good advisors willing to contradict him, which is a dangerous combination.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Interesting article on the Kremlin's notion that Nato promised not to expand Eastward...
Alongside the increasing security concerns of former Warsaw Pact countries, there was significant debate in the early 1990s about the merits of enlargement. Rather than jump straight into enlarging Nato, the Partnership For Peace (PfP) was established in 1994 and included NACC members as well as former Soviet Asian countries, such as Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. The result was a greater formalisation of the security arrangements, initially developed by the NACC, into a structure that allowed for PfP members to engage in Nato peacekeeping operations in the former Yugoslavia.

Russia was a participant in these new security arrangements, and was keen to clarify that Nato enlargement was not a security threat to Russia. The then president of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, wrote in a September 1993 letter to the then US president, Bill Clinton: “Any possible integration of east European countries into Nato will not automatically lead to the alliance somehow turning against Russia.” So it was being clearly signalled that Russia did not object to the direction Europe’s new security architecture was following.

Much more interesting history at the link.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Trump says "THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IF I WAS IN CHARGE".
Oh yeah, Donald?
WTF could YOU do about it. Blow Putin?

Poor poor Donald. So insignificant. So ignored. So out of touch. So out of the grove. So, so.... out of it.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
You remember when Trump pulled this one off?

So, mutual assured destruction. Probably why Putin wanted his shit upgraded and he got his wish from The Orange Menace.

Thats why tanks can roll and shells fly, cause they do it under a cover of mutual assured destruction.

War in proxy states? Sure why not. But if the battle were to turn sour and push up against your own borders, then there's always the nuke button.

NATO troops may be able to beat Russia out of Ukraine, but you could never actually go for the man himself. He's got the button.

Nobody is going to toss a nuke over a border war.

To do so would instantly make oneself a North Korea, and greatly increase the probably of being the victim of an alpha strike to "contain" the problem.