Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 215 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
So. The Wagner Group is in Ukraine now, you know, the private militia that Putin uses when he wants plausible deniability.
Private army. Hired by Putin. To fight vs Ukraine.
Sooooo “Private armies” are fair game now. Right? And get the f planes in there…
If putin is so concerned about Nazi''s, what's he doing with this guy?

Wagner-Group.jpg

Reactions: cytg111

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Alleged FSB leak says this is over by May (whether they "win" or lose) because the Russian economy will collapse by then. If not sooner. Where does everyone see this going by May?

GoshaMaster

Jul 20, 2001
L

You were hilariously wrong about everything related to this issue. Why should anyone think you’re less wrong now?
He is not totally wrong. How I know, I was born and raised in Kharkiv. I still have family and many friends there. What we see in the news and on tv is many times worse. My beautiful city and country is being destroyed. Many historical buildings even survived WWII, while were destroyed now. It’s already humanitarian crisis there, as many people unable to leave while bombing continues. Many old people like my parents in law are too ill or scared to travel. I am in no way want a WWIII, but NATO just can’t seat and watch while thousands of innocent people are killed. I don’t believe that Russia is ready to start nuclear war, so no fly zone has to be implemented as soon as possible. The longer we wait, the worse it will get.

Reactions: Muse and cytg111

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He is not totally wrong. How I know, I was born and raised in Kharkiv. I still have family and many friends there. What we see in the news and on tv is many times worse. My beautiful city and country is being destroyed. Many historical buildings even survived WWII, while were destroyed now. It’s already humanitarian crisis there, as many people unable to leave while bombing continues. Many old people like my parents in law are too ill or scared to travel. I am in no way want a WWIII, but NATO just can’t seat and watch while thousands of innocent people are killed. I don’t believe that Russia is ready to start nuclear war, so no fly zone has to be implemented as soon as possible. The longer we wait, the worse it will get.
So you agree with him that Russia will not invade and that people saying otherwise are engaging in hysteria?

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
So, your point is 100% valid.

But senseamp is getting flak not because of anything to do with a no-fly-zone, but because he spent the first several dozen pages being a complete ass.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
How is Russia losing so many aircraft? Is their aircraft just not capable of avoiding stinger missiles? You hardly ever hear about US planes being shot down in Iraq or Afghanistan.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How is Russia losing so many aircraft? Is their aircraft just not capable of avoiding stinger missiles? You hardly ever hear about US planes being shot down in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Did Iraq and Afghanistan have stingers?

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
There's probably multiple factors, honestly.
  • The Taliban, Iraqi army and the subsequent insurgencies didn't have all that many man-portable AA missiles. Currently in Ukraine, there's damn near one behind every car, tree and particularly large rock.
  • Compared to their Russian counterpart, the US air force is filthy rich and can probably afford a lot more training than the Russians
  • Russia just doesn't know how to operate in a hostile airspace correctly. IIRC during the Georgia war they failed to suppress the Georgian's AA defense systems as well.
  • Russia's planning for this is probably still shoddy. there might be increasing pressure to show results, leading to aircraft being used in situations they really shouldn't be, because they think it will take just a little more pressure to win the engagement.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Mariupol, hundreds of thousands of civilians, in dire straits. No heat, no power, no water for 5+ days, and no supplies getting in with constant Russian shelling of everything. No reporting getting out of smaller cities along invasion routes, communications cut, some with 90+% of buildings shelled. No way that civilian casualties aren't into the tens of thousands, but uncountable as they can't even recover bodies.
At what point does the world step up and call Putin on this genocide?

Reactions: Muse

GoshaMaster

Jul 20, 2001
So you agree with him that Russia will not invade and that people saying otherwise are engaging in hysteria?
I only meant to agree on implementing no fly zone. This is the only way I see to prevent massive casualties of civilians and possibly end this war. Economic sanctions will not stop him any time soon. Russia is mostly rural and people living there won't see impact of sanctions for a while. They only watch propaganda tv stations and love Putin no matter what. If his army takes over Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia will be probably next. He made it clear that break up of Soviet Union was a huge mistake and should have never happened.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There's probably multiple factors, honestly.
  • The Taliban, Iraqi army and the subsequent insurgencies didn't have all that many man-portable AA missiles. Currently in Ukraine, there's damn near one behind every car, tree and particularly large rock.
  • Compared to their Russian counterpart, the US air force is filthy rich and can probably afford a lot more training than the Russians
  • Russia just doesn't know how to operate in a hostile airspace correctly. IIRC during the Georgia war they failed to suppress the Georgian's AA defense systems as well.
  • Russia's planning for this is probably still shoddy. there might be increasing pressure to show results, leading to aircraft being used in situations they really shouldn't be, because they think it will take just a little more pressure to win the engagement.
US Aircraft have IRCM pods, also, at least a lot of them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I heard they are running out of precision munitions, but aren't ready to carpet bomb from strategic bombers yet. So they are using their planes as attack aircraft, which means flying low enough to be within range of Stingers. I fear they will switch to carpet bombing if the losses are too high from this technique.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Alleged FSB leak says this is over by May (whether they "win" or lose) because the Russian economy will collapse by then. If not sooner. Where does everyone see this going by May?
I have NO idea… way too volatile for me to predict anything…

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Russian isn’t just using cannon fodder.

Several notable military leaders for Russian and their partners have been KIA. Multiple units of special forces have been KIA. Their equipment loss is reaching staggeringly high numbers in both unit and costs. These units aren’t going to ever be replaced.

In less than a week they have lost more people and more hardware than the US lost in two decades in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Their losses are unsustainable. Even if they can capture major cities they dont have the ability to control them for that long.

The only thing they can do to takeover Ukraine at this point Is leveling the entire country with conventional WMDs or worse. They do that their country will suffer the same fate as NK for the next fifty years.
Looks like another rule of warfare is not attacking the Ukraine in the winter time.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Starting to think the MiG-29s are just Lucy with the football.

I wonder if we'd give them new F-16s in exchange for their old, un-updated MiGs, or if we'll pull some F-16As out of AMARG.
I'm guessing the goal is to get them aircraft they already know how to fly. F-16s would most likely require a decent amount of training coming from Mig-29s