Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 150 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They better act fast as the value of the ruble is in a huge skid right now. Might have to increase the “bounty” to 10M rubles to keep up with its devaluation. Worse than crypto right now…

Still. Getting to exit with my life and avoid prison would make it difficult for me to stew about exchange rates. I bet a lot of them would turn over their weapons and ammo for a good meal and a hot shower.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was saying if they abided to cease fire then we could talk. But I'm not going to pretend I am qualified to know the best line to draw. More advocating for the principle.
Yeah, so I guess our real disagreement is on whether a cease fire is enough to temporarily left sanctions. I don't really think it is. I think they'd have to agree to a pull out.

Reactions: hal2kilo

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Still. Getting to exit with my life and avoid prison would make it difficult for me to stew about exchange rates. I bet a lot of them would turn over their weapons and ammo for a good meal and a hot shower.

I think they’re offering to let them stay. Going back to Russia as a deserter won’t be nice unless there is regime changes.

Reactions: kage69 and hal2kilo

Grabo

Apr 5, 2005
311 Ukrainian tanks destroyed...or so

The Russian military claimed Monday that its armed forces have hit 1,146 Ukrainian military installations since the beginning of the “special operation,” Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, the spokesperson for Russian Ministry of Defense, said in a statement.

Among the targets were “31 command posts and communication centers, 81 S-300, Buk M-1 and Osa anti-aircraft missile systems, as well as 75 radar stations. Operationally, tactical aviation of the Russian Aerospace Forces hit six columns of armored vehicles of the Ukrainian armed forces," he said.

Additionally, “311 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 42 aircraft and helicopters (including on the ground), 51 multiple launch rocket systems, 147 field artillery pieces and mortars, 263 units of special military vehicles were destroyed,” Konashenkov added.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
311 Ukrainian tanks destroyed...or so

Knowing Russia they're probably counting their own losses as Ukrainian.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and Meghan54

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Russian soldiers last text exchange with his mother before he was killed. It sounds eerily like the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody. Putin has fucked over his own military and their families.
“I’m scared. We’re hitting everyone, even civilians” – Russian soldier to his mother before being killed in action (ukrinform.net)

Huge explosions rock Kyiv hours after dozens were killed in Russian CLUSTER BOMBS attack on Kharkiv
Graphic images and video revealed streets littered with the bodies of dead and badly wounded civilians, with other images showing showing spent BM-21 Grad rocket cartridges laying in the streets and having fallen through apartment roofs.

This is how Russia handled Syria, carpet bomb cities and civilians.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Any economic pain Russia can retaliate with, minus oil?
Not really, they've positioned too much of their economy around fossil fuel exports, human trafficking, and money laundering. Cutting economic ties, shutting down air traffic, and cutting off their banks rather succinctly handled all three.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Indirectly. A few well placed hacks would do quite a bit of economic pain to the West. But directly, no. Russia's economy is actually fairly small. Outside of natural resources, the rest of world does not trade much with Russia.

That makes it hard for ordinary citizens to do much. We can't really boycott Russian products, since there are so few products to boycott. Similarly Russia can't do much to our goods. The number of jobs supported by Russian trade with the US (~70k) is about half the size of statistical noise in the monthly job reports (~120k in the payroll survey with 90% confidence level).

Last edited:

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
They are largest palladium producer (catalytic converters), but not the only source, probably the next largest hit. Plus a broad range of other minerals/metals.
But primarily, just oil and gas.
Even in vodka Russia is a minor player, despite common perceptions. Mostly just covering local consumption.

Reactions: Meghan54